New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

I don’t actually think cell phones work better than the old rotary dial phones did when it comes to making phone calls.  Yet people line up to buy new models every day. Why? New bells and whistles.

Bottom line is these are mostly metal detecting forums, and so people like to talk about metal detectors. There is zero requirement they go deeper, or even offer anything more than a new paint job and decals. Or I can shut the door and turn out the lights, because nobody wants to talk about detectors, but I’d rather not do that.

The reality in metal detectors is they get better incrementally. Year to year there is not much to see. But look at it decade by decade. My first detector in 1972 had no discrimination, and did not ground balance. Purely manual, no tones. The only thing it actually did was detect metal. It struggled to detect coins more than about three inches, and then only with careful operation.

Then we got discrimination. And then ground balance. Then target id. Digital detectors. Ground balancing PI. Multifrequency. We have come light years from where I started 50 years ago, but it was baby steps most of the way, with a true advance about once every 5 to 10 years. I expect more advances in the future. Imagine the raw depth of a GPZ 7000 combined with discrimination. But expecting big leaps every year or two…. Not going to happen.

My first detector in 1972, when $200 was real money….

whites-coinmaster-4-tr-1972-herschbach.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Looks like it's using the GPX 6000 Headphones 

m9.jpg

I hope they include a headphone module, I use earbuds 90% of the time.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I don’t actually think cell phones work better than the old rotary dial phones did when it comes to making phone calls.  It people line up to buy new models every day. Why? New bells no whistles.

Bottom line is these are mostly metal detecting forums, and so people like to talk about metal detectors. There is zero requirement they go deeper, or even offer anything more than a new paint job and decals. Or I can shut the door and turn out the lights, because nobody wants to talk about detectors, but I’d rather not do that.

The reality in metal detectors is they get better incrementally. Year to year there is not much to see. But look at it decade by decade. My first detector in 1972 had no discrimination, and did not ground balance. Purely manual, no tones. It struggled to detect coins more than about three inches, and only then with careful operation.

Then we got discrimination. And then ground balance. Then target id. Digital detectors. Ground balancing PI. Multifrequency. We have come light years from where I started 50 years ago, but it was baby steps most of the way, with a true advance about once every 5 to 10 years. I expect more advances in the future. Imagine the raw depth of a GPZ 7000 combined with discrimination. But expecting big leaps every year or two…. Not going to happen.

My first detector in 1972, when $200 was real money….

whites-coinmaster-4-tr-1972-herschbach.jpg

Mine was a lighter blue coin master , 1970. Don't remember anything else except as an 8 year old , using 2 hands to swing the darn thing. Not deep and the holes were a mess. That didn't last long. Until the early 80s when I took a more serious approach. But you are right about the small incremental changes. But we all lose that perspective and want everything NOW. Thanks Steve for giving us a little reality check. 

• Like 2

Just now, King-Of-Bling said:

Mine was a lighter blue coin master , 1970. Don't remember anything else except as an 8 year old , using 2 hands to swing the darn thing. Not deep and the holes were a mess. That didn't last long. Until the early 80s when I took a more serious approach. But you are right about the small incremental changes. But we all lose that perspective and want everything NOW. Thanks Steve for giving us a little reality check. 

All I remember from those days was the 14 AA batteries 😄 That was half the weight of the machine.

• Like 3

Just been sitting back taking in all the speculation going on. But honestly it looks like a great machine. In fact if it performs as well as Minelab is saying it will, one could probably forget about the most recently released Legend and Deus 2 and go straight to the Manticore.

I'm assuming it's going to be multi functional just like the Equinox and have beach, park, relic and gold modes. The sheer fact that they have a small eliptical coil would sway me away from the Deus 2 which I really haven't been all that impressed with.

• Like 7

I saved up my money when I was i school and my first detector was a Compass 77b Pro. A TR, frequency 100 khz, had no disc but wouldn't hit on nails. It came with an 8" and I bought a 10" coil for it. Just sold it recently to someone that wanted one. It still worked.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

All I remember from those days was the 14 AA batteries 😄 That was half the weight of the machine.

I was finding some clad and silver , but it was hard work. Until I figured out that only 3 blocks away , our liquor store in the alley way was stacking their crates of coke bottles up against the chain link fence. And I could slide my puny hands in and slide them out for a quick return. Until I got busted and was off for another adventure ! 🤣

• Like 2