New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

Noticed The Manticore has a Gold Field Mode like The Nox  …..But no 6 Inch Coil ? ……Maybe A Later Date ? 

• Like 1

yea, the detector a fraction of the price gets the better shaft.

• Like 3

NASA Tom has been helping develop and test the Manticore for the past [nearly] three years, and if you read between the lines on his forum he said:

We've been working on the Manticore for nearly 3 years. A TON has gone into this one. And with different 'mindset'. I will share more data.....as time permits...... AND = when it will NOT infringe upon sales of other stuff.,.,.,.,., and/or C.O.I.

Something I want to clarify.... that Mark Lawrie stated in the YouTube video: The ID system is on a scale of 99 points. So is the scale of iron ID range! -99 to 0. (Negative 99 to 0). (((Salt ID's as '0'))). This is to say: Nearly a 200-point ID span.

There were 2 VERY primary 'focus-of-intent' into this project.

Tom's primarily a relic hunter, and a salt water beach hunter.  If I had to guess, their primary focus-of-intent was better unmasking, and usable depth.  Which bears out in their marketing messaging.

We shall see!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

And price.  😉 

But is it really that more expensive in the end?  Let's do the math:

Equinox 800 MSRP $1000 (taxes/shipping not included)
Equinox Minelab Equinox 600/800 Complete Carbon-Fiber Shaft System $129 + shipping (and likely state sales tax as required now days with uncle sams long arms), let's just call it $150 out the door
Oh and lest not forget a coil stiffener so the coil ears don't snap off in the middle of BFE;.  A survey of coil stiffeners looks like you could get a decent one including shipping/tax for about $20.

The Equinox 800 now equates to $1170 vs $1599 for the Manticore which negates the need for upgrading shafts and and adding coil stiffners.  An additional $429 seems reasonable considering the price delta between the CTX and it's predecessors.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

And now lets compare with the other SMFs including the competition , from the lowest to the highest ,  prices from France :

1) ML Vanquish series      ->  from 250 E 
    Détecteur de métaux MINELAB Vanquish, technologie multi fréquence simultanée - Métaux-Détection (metaux-detection.fr)

2) Nokta Legend               ->  from  799 E
    Nokta Makro Legend WHP - Le détecteur Multi Fréquence Simultanée (maisondeladetection.com)

3) ML Equinox 600           -> from  799 E

Minelab EQUINOX 600 : Détecteur ultra polyvalent, multifrquence ou VLF (maisondeladetection.com)

4) XP Deus2                      ->  from 869 E
    Détecteur XP Deus 2 FMF Mini : Le XP Deus 2 FMF à petit prix ! (maisondeladetection.com)
    + S telescopic Lite shaft 

5) ML Equinox 800          -> from 1099 E

Détecteur Minelab EQUINOX 800 : 5 fréquences au choix ou multi-fréquences simultanées. (maisondeladetection.com)

6) ML Manticore              -> from 1999 E
    Détecteurs MINELAB Manticore - metaux-detection

Oops this post could go to the detector comparison forum, I always forget that rule ...

( Edited on August 30th - ML Vanquish )

• Like 2

9 hours ago, vive equinox said:

i am not english but i understood 1599€ vat included in the video🤔 , does he said that ? 

I feel like this 2d bargraph is an insignificant gimmick 🤨

I would like to see the shape rendered on a pulltab

Rather around 2000 E in France , look above ..

1999 Euro with 21% of VAT in Czech for example. Info from Czech dealer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

But is it really that more expensive in the end?  Let's do the math:

Equinox 800 MSRP $1000 (taxes/shipping not included)
Equinox Minelab Equinox 600/800 Complete Carbon-Fiber Shaft System $129 + shipping (and likely state sales tax as required now days with uncle sams long arms), let's just call it $150 out the door
Oh and lest not forget a coil stiffener so the coil ears don't snap off in the middle of BFE;.  A survey of coil stiffeners looks like you could get a decent one including shipping/tax for about $20.

The Equinox 800 now equates to $1170 vs $1599 for the Manticore which negates the need for upgrading shafts and and adding coil stiffners.  An additional $429 seems reasonable considering the price delta between the CTX and it's predecessors.

Yes, I simply stated an irrefutable fact the Manticore costs more than Equinox as a tongue-in-cheek add on to Chuck's statement that ML appeared to separate Manticore from Equinox by giving it a completely different name. 

I wasn't arguing "value" or cost premium reasonableness at all, which is really what you are driving at in your post above.  Value is the "benefit" you get for a given cost and when talking detecting equipment, it gets subjective really fast.  No one can really argue there aren't tangible and intangible anticipated improvements with Manticore vs. Equinox such as higher ID accuracy at depth, target trace graphics, 2D disc, improved audio, improved shaft system, and deeper submergence specs to name but a few.  But whether the cost premium for those benefits is "reasonable" can be debated endlessly. 

More on that later.  Let's talk again about objective cost/expense vs. Equinox:

If you really do want to to talk "cost" or "expense" in apples-to-apples terms, even after you did "the math" it seems you basically verified my statement that it "costs" more. 

However, your math also had an omission.  Namely, let's also not forget the Equinox 800 is provided with a proprietary low latency wireless WM08 receiver to enable you to detect untethered using your favorite set of wired headphones.  It does not appear that a similar accessory is provided with Manticore - whether the Manticore is strictly BT or proprietary wireless is still a question mark.  Regardless of how useful you think that item is, ML sells it as a standalone accessory at the ridiculously eye watering price of $259, so you can keep it if you find it useful or sell it to further defray the cost of the Equinox.  Let's say you sell it for half price, $125, so just add $125 to your $429 cost delta (note I'm not adding back the actual full "cost" of that accessory) and you're back to a $654 cost difference even after adding a CF shaft.

So to answer your own question, "But is it really that more expensive in the end?"  The answer is still, objectively, yes if you consider selling the WM08.

But is that $654 premium "reasonable" compared to the cost of Equinox? 

Well even ignoring the fact that I was able to purchase a Legend for that much, that's a completely different question.

Even considering the tangible and intangible "on paper" specs and verbal claims of improvements over Equinox, the jury is still out on whether that is a reasonable premium to pay until we get real world user feedback.  But every user will define "reasonable" very differently, especially when considering the "value" of other very capable detectors available now.

I was willing to pay similar dollars for the D2 but I also rationalized that as a VERY significant upgrade to SMF over the non-SMF D1, as well as addressing some long standing D1 shortcomings, for an even smaller delta in price than exists between Equinox and Manticore, which both use variants of Multi-IQ SMF tech.  After 7 years of great success with D1 (and 4 years with great success with Nox), D2 was a "no brainer" acquisition, and where XP has taken D2 so far with subsequent updates, I have no complaints.  It works great for what I do most, hunting Colonial and CW relics and old coins in and around historic Virginia with its full spectrum of soil and trash conditions and occasional beach hunting and coin shooting.

Will Manticore ultimately replace my Nox?  Presuming it lives up to its specs and simply delivers the stated additional features and incremental performance based on real world reports and results (not the rampant post-launch marketing hype nonsense), I would say it's probably a yes. 

I definitely plan to check it out eventually, but frankly I have all my VLF "gaps" filled with Nox and D2 and will have an Axiom, so I am in no hurry.  Jury is still out for me on Legend.  No arguing with the value statement with Legend, but for me question was whether I keep Legend or my Nox (at this point, Legend has not gotten enough swing time to decide) - D2 is not going anywhere.  Manticore launch just means Nox ultimately has another competitor for its spot in my arsenal.

• Like 7

On 8/27/2022 at 12:39 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Looks like a nice detector that will fit neatly into the hole left in the Minelab product line, by the now departed $1549 E-TRAC. If it hits that price point, it will be an apples to apples competitor for the $1599 DEUS II. I took the D2 for a spin, but with 90% or more of my detecting hours being behind a PI, I decided to just be happy with Equinox, and to do my best to ignore any new VLF tech that comes along. Which is what I am doing with Manticore.

I did much the same thing …. I sold all but my MDT and Nox.  I kept the Nox as a back up because I never had a leak AND I thought I might do some dirt digging one day.  But then my batteries died and I had some handle bolt cracking.  Got a new box and sold it.  I’ve always been a fan of the old explorers and the CTX…. will this machine bring back the silver “tinkle”?  

• Like 1