New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

1 hour ago, canslawhero said:

yep, expensive here in Canada also but as with my previous Minelab's I'll be able to pay for it with finds. the gold rings I've found so far this year will be good for > $1000 (cdn) of the purchase price ($2079 + 13% tax) in melt value. The rest could be made up from clad finds, as we have $1 and $2 coins here. This isn't taking into account the ability to sell my EQ800 for probably 65% or so of the purchase price if necessary.  I will also get the 15% military discount. 

Regardless, taking the 'Beast' (which is how I'll refer to it) out to my well hunted sites will certainly lead to a lot of fun/pleasure which I would call priceless...cheers

I paid for my EQX800 my first trip out when I dug a beautiful 18K gold ring, but that was pure luck.  However, after it located several high value seated coins, a rare 1856-S U.S. $1 gold coin, and tons of other great finds, it's easily paid for itself twenty fold, easily.

• Like 6

Thinking about the Manticore name, I wonder if Minelab is kicking a little dirt in the face of Fisher? Wasn't the original Impulse AQ Limited named "Manta" and a lot of the guys afterwards were referring to it as the "Beast"? 

I'm really curious if this new machine has salt balance?

• Like 1

I personally would have just called it Zeus.  Father of the Gods, lightning striking the ground....

Later the could release the Aphrodite, the detector you'll love.  I could say to the guys, "Hey, I see you're sporting an Aphro!!!"

Minelab, if you're listening, I'm available for a marketing position.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, okara gold said:

Thinking about the Manticore name, I wonder if Minelab is kicking a little dirt in the face of Fisher? Wasn't the original Impulse AQ Limited named "Manta" and a lot of the guys afterwards were referring to it as the "Beast"? 

I'm really curious if this new machine has salt balance?

I get the feeling that the beach/saltwater is one of the areas that MInelab concentrated on improving performance specifically.

• Like 2

Not impressed with the charge time of 7hrs ! and the run time of 9 hrs is not helpful especially here in the UK. Camping at 4 day Rallies is going to cause concerns especially in the summer where you have the option to detect for 12 hrs. My Equinox runs for 12 hrs and charges in 4 allowing me to use a power bank.

Plenty of USB-C power banks you could install under the arm cuff to enhance run time.  Depends how much you care about weight, for me performance comes first and by a very large margin, weight is long down the list of problems with detectors to me.  If a detector gave me more depth, sensitivity and overall performance I'd be happy if you mounted a concrete brick under my arm cuff or inside the coil.

If you're so concerned about the run time and don't want to supplement the battery power use the Manatee until it goes flat and then pick up your Nox for the next couple of hours, sometimes using a different detector can be beneficial anyway.

As Minelab say, Performance is everything and I reluctantly agree, build quality and other issues are a distant second as evident by their popularity even though everyone with half a brain knows they make poor quality detectors. They are not even remotely the best quality with low end detectors of other brands being more reliable than high end Minelab's, they're not the most ergonomic, they're not the most dependable, they're not the lightest by any stretch of the imagination but they do have the best performance and that's why we buy them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

... As Minelab say, Performance is everything ... but they do have the best performance and that's why we buy them.

From my standpoint and my depth tests ( comparing VLF detectors on a big coin for example ) , the MLs that I have tested ( Vanquish , Equinox ) are very good but not better than the other SMFs like a Deus2 or a monofreq set on a low freq like a Detech Chaser or a Deus1 set at 4khz.  I have not yet tested the Legend but I think it will be the same ...

They all have around the same perfos , 30cm (12inches) on a 10g coin in moderately mineralized soil using a 11 coil) which is logical because the law of physics cannot be changed , even by ML ...🙂

Still waiting for a machine going deeper than this 30cm limit . I would be happy with a detector going at 35 ...

Will it be the Manticore ?  I only trust what I see ...

Testing the Equinox 800 on a 10g coin at 12inches depth - a faint but clean signal :

DSC02132.JPG

7 minutes ago, palzynski said:

From my standpoint and my tests ( comparing VLF detectors on a big coin at depth for example ) , the MLs ( Vanquish , Equinox ) are very good but not better than the other SMFs like a Deus2 or a monofreq set on a low freq like a Detech Chaser or a D1 set at 4khz.  I have not yet tested the Legend but I think it will be the same ...

They all have the same perfos , 30cm (12inches) on a 10g coin in moderately mineralized soil using a 11 coil) which is logical because the law of physics cannot be changed , even by ML ...🙂

Still waiting for a machine going deeper than this 30cm-12inches limit ..

Will it be the Manticore ?  I only trust what I see ...

Performance is not just DEPTH.  Tarsacci blows away every VLF I have ever used on raw depth, but is it a nail or a coin, who knows - the TID is bouncy, nonferrous audio is suspect, and disc adjustments are limited?  Accurate ID at depth, unmasking/speed, precise disc patterns, accurate ferrous probabilities are attributes that M-core may bring to bear.  Need to also know whether 2x supplied power over Equinox is a blessing or a curse.  Need more real world, in the field feedback.

• Like 9