New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

13 hours ago, JCR said:

That is a nice feature; the Auto display backlight.

I bet it freaks out, if you're out with a headlamp at night 😄
And imho only usefull, if you're able to set an "offset" / base brightness.

I run the 800 on the lowest setting at night and even that is sometimes too much.

15 minutes ago, vive equinox said:

So you confirm that we can't run with light off?

come on, I can't see myself buying a 2000 bucks detector and having to stick Velcro which will dirty the screen and take water and sand

a black sock, why not but that adds a detail to think about and to be able to touch the settings you would have to put it on halfway, not even sure that it holds all the hunting and that it completely hides the light.

this is not a golf driver we are talking about

moreover, completely turning off the lights can be useful for those who want to save a little battery

I remain perplexed that minelab did not think of a 0 for the adjustment of the lights🤔

minelab.png.0c6dae650e9c0b4a4536d93b9d50ef48.png

• Like 3

For all we know 1 on the manual backlight adjustment could be off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Nor according to Tom Danjowski who's been part of the dev ops and test team for the MC the past three years.  He stated it's across the board, single freq and SMF. 

This feat of innovation generates an incredible 50% power increase over the best-selling detector series of all time: EQUINOX. 

Yep.  They clarified that over their previous marketing statement.  Glad they got their story straight now.  But still, all we know is that it has a bigger battery than Equinox (7 hour charge time) because their new marketing statement doesn't clearly state how the 50% more power is used vs. Equinox (transmit power, processing power or simply its need to keep the lights on as it has a lot of lights (backlight, keypad light, flashlight) :laugh:).  Other than they also allude to It being connected to Multi-IQ+.

But yeah, all that is great stuff on paper.  Can't wait to see how it performs in the field, in the hands of competent detectorists.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

All we know is that it has a bigger battery than Equinox (7 hour charge time) because their marketing statement doesn't clearly state how the 50% more power is used vs. Equinox (transmit power, processing power or simply its need to keep the lights on as it has a lot of lights (backlight, keypad light, flashlight)).  :laugh:

I believe I have seen Mark Lawrie say "50% more power going to the coil," than the Equinox, and Tom Dankowski said that if you somehow were to wire an Equinox coil up to connect to the Manticore, you would essentially "blow out the coil."  So, I am fairly sure it's NOT just all a "marketing gimmick."

(Just to note, I am NOT saying 50% more depth, nor 25% more depth, nor even 10% more depth...of course not; I'm just saying that there is apparently 50% more power going to the coil, and not just a marketing gimmick where the extra power is going to the backlight, keypad, flashlight, etc. -- each of which probably use very little power, i.e. flashlight being LED, etc.)

Steve

• Like 4

On 8/28/2022 at 2:53 PM, V3i/MXT Pro said:

Does anyone else feel like the coil ears/stem seem over engineered? Why not just add 1mm in thickness to the traditional ears and call it a day? Kind of seems like reinventing the wheel.

I thought the same.  Then I thought humm they just transferred that ear breaking to us having to buy lower shafts. Hopefully it not a stiff build… because water guys tend to use the machine to balance themselves in ruff water.   One of the reasons I run in AM in the water is because I’m just looking for target … once found then I have to determine… is it something to dig.  I don’t run disc because things change… the salt, very tiny concentrations of metal, hard pan and black sand and EMI.  Some try to just disc it out rather than adjust the settings.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, steveg said:

I believe I have seen Mark Lawrie say "50% more power going to the coil," than the Equinox, and Tom Dankowski said that if you somehow were to wire an Equinox coil up to connect to the Manticore, you would essentially "blow out the coil."  So, I am fairly sure it's just all a "marketing gimmick."

(Just to note, I am NOT saying 50% more depth, nor 25% more depth, nor even 10% more depth...of course not; I'm just saying that there is apparently 50% more power going to the coil, and not just a marketing gimmick where the extra power is going to the backlight, keypad, flashlight, etc. -- each of which probably use very little power, i.e. flashlight being LED, etc.)

Steve

Steve I read that as well from Tom.  He also mentioned Carl ant that 50% would equate to less than 7% increase in depth.  I get good depth here in Fl so I’m more concerned with eliminating EMI and TID especially at depth.  Obviously here most are recent drop hunting and getting 10” means they get a good many of them. There also comes a time when gold targets are just beyond reach no matter the machine.

• Like 1

Dew -- I assume you are considering a Manticore, at LEAST to fill in as your "new" backup to the MDT?  Better waterprooofing (if true) should be right up your alley...

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Yep.  They clarified that over their previous marketing statement.  Glad they got their story straight now.  But still, all we know is that it has a bigger battery than Equinox (7 hour charge time) because their new marketing statement doesn't clearly state how the 50% more power is used vs. Equinox (transmit power, processing power or simply its need to keep the lights on as it has a lot of lights (backlight, keypad light, flashlight) :laugh:).  Other than they also allude to It being connected to Multi-IQ+.

But yeah, all that is great stuff on paper.  Can't wait to see how it performs in the field, in the hands of competent detectorists.

It looks like the  part of 50% must be in the transmit power according to a statement Tom made.  ....... "IF you could figure out a way to wire a EQX coil to the new Manticore...... the Manticore would blow/burn it out. Soooo...... coils are NOT interchangeable. (There's also other reasons for incompatibility).
The coil has tighter tolerances....and more stuff in it; hence, soooo........it must be built heavier-duty. The extra 2 heli-arc'd fore-aft curved ribs are not very hydrodynamic; yet, are a necessity."

• Like 4