New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

Thanks, Dan.  Taking Tom’s comments with a grain of salt at this point because some of what he has been stating is not borne out by the info ML has actually published.  (I still don’t fully understand the -99 to 99 TID implementation claim based on the panel layout and explanations provided in the QS Guide other than the “negative” target TID underline symbol).

No doubt there is some level of transmit power boost under some mode settings but I suspect there is also a lot of powerful stuff under the signal processing hood as well.  Even the rudimentary target trace graphics take some horsepower to generate.

It’s definitely a compelling detector, but the intelligence-insulting marketing spin and self-hype (that comes with the territory lately for all new release detectors not just ML) is a big turnoff to me personally.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

It’s definitely a compelling detector, but the intelligence-insulting marketing spin and self-hype (that comes with the territory lately for all new release detectors not just ML) is a big turnoff to me personally.

100% Agree Chase.  I'll wait and see what is shown after verifiable use in the field. Recall the advertising hype over the Equinox's waterproof capabilities?  How'd that turn out for the user in shallow water applications?  Didn't quite live up to the hype did it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, vive equinox said:

That is the question 🤔

So why ate you not emailing Minelab like GBAmature suggested instead of asking forum members who have no clue?

• Like 2

All this talk about power is really just that : talk , until it's out and we get to use it. But a full charge takes 7 hours in this day and age ? That is disgusting. Call me ridiculous , paranoid or whack. Here's all I know. In California , our great governor in this crazy heat has told us to not charge our EVs and 1 week prior said in the next decade no more new gas vehicles will be produced or sold. Also to turn up our thermostats as in don't run the A/C because it will cripple the power grid and cause blackouts. More insanity from these people. And all I can think of is why no one has made a solar powered detector yet. Lol

1 hour ago, King-Of-Bling said:

All this talk about power is really just that : talk , until it's out and we get to use it. But a full charge takes 7 hours in this day and age ?

I don't know but seems like my Equinox if run down takes about this amount of time? That is on a 2.1 amp charger. ??? 
I would want the battery power necessary to do a hunt. I don't see charge time a game breaker! 

• Like 2

On 9/1/2022 at 7:03 AM, steveg said:

Dew -- I assume you are considering a Manticore, at LEAST to fill in as your "new" backup to the MDT?  Better waterprooofing (if true) should be right up your alley...

Steve

I for one never had a water issue with my Nox…. and mine got wet.  I consider any detector that can get used in the water.  I wasn’t happy getting it thou and they didn’t even have waterproof headphones for months which told me it hadn’t been tested much.  So Tony made me phones and I tested um.  Seems I’ll be able to use them.   ML knows what their issues were… let’s hope all were fixed.  Not sure why they couldn’t waterproof more like the Deus and their warranty didn’t increase.   I assume Steve you are working on a new shaft?  I always like ML so if 90% of the development did go toward the dirt guy on this one for here in Fl it may be a good beach machine as well

• Like 3

1 hour ago, King-Of-Bling said:

All this talk about power is really just that : talk , until it's out and we get to use it. But a full charge takes 7 hours in this day and age ? That is disgusting. Call me ridiculous , paranoid or whack. Here's all I know. In California , our great governor in this crazy heat has told us to not charge our EVs and 1 week prior said in the next decade no more new gas vehicles will be produced or sold. Also to turn up our thermostats as in don't run the A/C because it will cripple the power grid and cause blackouts. More insanity from these people. And all I can think of is why no one has made a solar powered detector yet. Lol

XP has this Solar panel thingy you could use to charge your Deus. I tried one and it wasn’t up to the job.

As for charging times. That is the unhappy situation of USB powered everything. It can only give so much power output. Stick it into any USB outlet and wait for it to happen. Dedicated chargers are out the window.

I’m still debating if it will be my next tector. It needs to have the sweet continous tones of a CTX or an Excal. Nox 800 was a lovely machine, but it was lacking in the tonal department. It just got on my nerves after a while detecting and lost interest in the machine. Till I found out where the All Metal was. But by then I just switched on the Excal and was more than happy.

Probably a little bit crazy, I’m actually chomping at the bit for the manual to come out.

Come on Minelab, give us a Youtube video of it singing on a deep coin. You guys know we can’t keep our money locked up when that happens!!

5 hours ago, steveg said:

I believe I have seen Mark Lawrie say "50% more power going to the coil," than the Equinox, and Tom Dankowski said that if you somehow were to wire an Equinox coil up to connect to the Manticore, you would essentially "blow out the coil."  So, I am fairly sure it's just all a "marketing gimmick."

I don't think it's purely maketeering.  Clearly it's not going to go 50% deeper, but if you read what Tom's stated, and listen to what their director of engineering's telling us (who's not a marketing guy), there's a practical application here.  Tom D. stated that the coils are different then anything else before them, with unique circuitry, winding designs, even the extra ribbing the water hunters were bitching about have a practical purpose.  Yes the Equinox coils are incompatible because if someone did figure out a way to connect them to the MC, they'd blow out from the amped up power. So it's not a marketing thing like the coils between the Vanquish and Equinox not being compatible where they clearly could have been.

If you think about it, if you've followed Dankowski for any length of time (as I know you have Steve) he's always had these primary objectives in architecting new detector technology:

• Better EMI mitigation
  • More usable depth
  • Better unmasking
  • Better capabilities to handle salt water beaches

Fast forward to the MC, and given that Tom's not only been a tester he's been part of the dev-ops design team on this, it looks like he may have actually succeeded in these areas of interest.

I probably sound like a Kool-Aid drinker, but in my experience over the years those that enjoy the technology behind all this learn the difference between those blowing smoke up our skirts and those moving the proverbial ball forward.   Being the hard core detectorists that Tom is and his commitment to excellence, I think we may just see something unique here. 

Of course until we get our hands on them, it's only speculation, but there's plenty of bread crumbs if you filter through the noise.  Unfortunately Tom's clammed up 🤕

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Sinclair said:

Funny.

I don‘t detect for a living and I‘ve never sold a find, too..

How ever - they just went over the top with this one - imho. 

How much is a Minelab CTX where you're at?