New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

Steve --

That's pretty good...!!  😄

Did Minelab's marketing department write that?  Kind of sounds like it.  LOL!

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steveg said:

Steve --

That's pretty good...!!  😄

Did Minelab's marketing department write that?  Kind of sounds like it.  LOL!

Steve

I figured I'd just try and walk everyone back from the hype ledge a little bit. Just like Legend, just like Deus II, it's just another metal detector, and when all the dust settles, that's all it's going to be. Equinox gave us ice cream, and now we are getting different flavors of ice cream. Manticore is a very nice detector, for sure, but as a pretty good operator I can honestly say I can use a Equinox, Legend, and Deus II, and get similar results, and Manticore is not going to change that. You want to make more and better finds, then put yourself on better locations, and put in more hours of detecting. Those two things will do far more to improve anyone's results, than the latest new whiz bang detector.

Having said that, if I was not already just fine in the multi department and looking for one out of all the options available now, I'd get the Manticore. Equinox hit 90% of what I want in a VLF, and this latest Minelab looks to fill in another 7%, so looking good.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. :smile:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

That statement comes directly from MInelab??? Or is it from a dealer? If that's directly from Minelab, I would be shocked that they could not answer that question. In any event, I hope you can get your answer.

I dont think it’s a dealer , mail is service@minelab.com.au 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Great idea. I used to have a lot of that (par can) gel in the 80's 😄 I should have saved some. hat gel was expensive!

I picked up a small roll on fleabay, probably a yard long by 12" wide.  That's probably enough to last the rest of your life.  I like the red LCD display, like I think it was the Fisher F19 that had that.  It's easy on the eyes and with the dimmest settings, interestingly a dim red glow isn't noticeable from a distance, yet a white glow is. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sinclair said:

It's 2499€

dollar/€ is about 1:1 at the moment

So about 500€ above the MC then.  Even if they were the same price, I'd still rather have the MC then lugging around a boat anchor like the CTX.

Sounds like a good time to go to Europe from the U.S.   Every time I've been there in the past the dollar was weak and Euros were costing $1.30+. 

3 hours ago, steveg said:

Pimento -- I, and I would assume others, don't understand the issue here, and you didn't do anything to explain WHAT the issue is.  So, just saying "stop it" is of little use.  You and Chase clearly see some issue in this discussion.  I don't, and so a bit of explaining would have helped...

Anyway...

Exactly, thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only that felt that and some folks just kept piling on to the discussion, so yes it kept going on without any substance and pure speculation that wasn't necessary. 

So yes, anyway 🙂

3 hours ago, steveg said:

Can you talk a little more about this "pseudo-PI" transmission that you say FBS uses, and how that allows the generation of an "FE" signal?  I find this fascinating, but don't have enough knowledge to entirely follow.  But, this "trick" of which you speak sounds quite fascinating and I'd like to understand better.

So, are you saying that there could be two DIFFERENT transmissions going on -- an "EQX-like" waveform, and then an "FBS-like" waveform, such that Manticore, in a way, actually COULD be a sort of blend of both FBS and Multi-IQ (just as the "Manticore" name would imply -- i.e. the mythical "multi-species" creature)?

Steve

In one of the videos the Minelab engineer said, and I quote "the MultiEQ+ frequencies were expanded".  I initially took that to mean that they added more frequencies, like perhaps the prospecting mode now included 80kHz in the mix, but now that they released specs, that doesn't appear to be the case as both specs are identical as per Minelab (their inconsistent formatting, not mine):

Manticore Operating Frequencies:  Multi-IQ+, 5 kHz, 10 kHz, 15 kHz, 20 kHz, 40 kHz
Equinox Operating Frequencies (kHz) Multi, 5, 10, 15, 20, 40

So just what does Minelabs' chief engineers statement mean? What's expanded?  Longer sampling time, more frequencies used per sample, what?

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The new Minelab Manticore goes deeper than any metal detector ever created. It does so by implementing new micro fusion core batteries, providing it with almost unlimited detection power. Everyone knows that all you need to do to make a detector go deeper is hook up a bigger battery.

The power is not just power, it’s a new form of power, an interleaving of frequencies and amperage the likes of which the world has never seen.* This allows for several improvements in detection depth. First, grass and other organic surface matter is instantly incinerated, turning into fine dust.** This allows the coil to get closer to the ground, which in turn allows deeper items to be detected. A secondary improvement can be had as the roots, earthworms, and beetles in the ground vaporize, leaving open spaces in the soil. We recommend that you detect the same area at least twice, carefully compacting the soil as you walk the first time, and then going over it a second time, to take advantage of the extra depth afforded by this new “OrganoElimination” OE Technology (TM pending) effect.

We are proud to include the very first implementation of heat seeking technology for metal detecting in the Manticore. The power induced into the metals under the coil is in direct relation to their conductivity. Silver, with its unique high conductivity, far better than even gold, is heated to near its melting point.*** By including heat sensors in the coil, this heat signature can be included in the processing algorithms to deliver the best discrimination results the world has ever seen. The HD Heat Discrimination (TM Pending) processing will take your detecting results to a whole new level, eliminating 98.976594% of trash targets.

Manticore. The detector that obsoletes the detectors that previously obsoleted other detectors. Get your today!

* Near field power effects may result in sterility. Use proper lead shielding over your delicate parts. Any rumors of cancer inducing side effects have been wildly exaggerated, and we estimate less than 15% of users will experience any carcinogenic effects. Any attempt to hook up coils to the detector that are not designed for it will likely result in said coil exploding. Flash injuries, and puncture wounds from flying shrapnel should be expected, and so we highly recommend using only compatible coils.

** The risk of second or third degree burns is considerable. A high quality fire suit and mask are recommended, such as those employed in metal refining. The protective lead lining previously mentioned can be incorporated into this suit for your ease of use and comfort. Due to high dust levels, high quality breathing filter masks are also recommended. See our new line of protective detector clothing for further details.

*** Be aware that items when excavated can produce second or third degree burns on contact. Use proper heat resistant gloves. We recommend metal refining gloves, but welders gloves are a suitable replacement if care is used.

Recommended minimum detecting protective suit. Only use suits guaranteed to include no conductive metal, as this may interfere with you metal detectors ability to work properly.

724915FF-71FA-4656-BF4F-BD3D484FD364.jpeg

Of course.... How did we not know that? 🙂 It is how things end up when we have all this time to speculate. 😄

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Exactly, thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only that felt that and some folks just kept piling on to the discussion, so yes it kept going on without any substance and pure speculation that wasn't necessary. 

So yes, anyway 🙂

In one of the videos the Minelab engineer said, and I quote "the MultiEQ+ frequencies were expanded".  I initially took that to mean that they added more frequencies, like perhaps the prospecting mode now included 80kHz in the mix, but now that they released specs, that doesn't appear to be the case as both specs are identical as per Minelab:

Manticore Operating Frequencies:  Multi-IQ+, 5 kHz, 10 kHz, 15 kHz, 20 kHz, 40 kHz
Equinox Operating Frequencies (kHz) Multi, 5, 10, 15, 20, 40

So just what does the Minelab chief engineers statement mean? What's expanded?  Longer sampling time, more frequencies used per sample, what?

Cal thanks for asking this because I knew it was going to come up eventually and here we are 4+ years later trying to put to bed a huge misconception that Minelab initiated with their original pseudo tech Equinox Multi-IQ marketing.  The 5 (now 6 on Equinox with the addition of 4 kHz)) single frequency set points have no relationship to the Multi-IQ SMF frequency spectrum for the various modes either in terms of frequency range or in the number of simultaneously transmitted frequencies.  Minelab continues to remain mum about which specific frequencies comprise the constituents of the SMF spectra and the absolute range covered.

As noted by Pimento previously, similar to Equinox and XP’s D2, it is likely that only two or three waveforms of different frequencies are being combined during transmission (certainly not 5, as many mistakenly believe).  But until we can hook a spectrum analyzer up to Molybdicore, we are not going to know and ML is probably not going to say.  

I will say this.  Just because FullMontycore is utilizing the standard 5 “Nox” single frequencies, doesn’t contradict the ML claim of an expanded SMF range or higher upper end frequency simply because the 5 SF settings have nothing to do with the SMF range, so Goldfield in Multi-IQ could still conceivably have a top end of 80 kHz and be heavily weighted to favor the target response from the 80kHz waveform.

• Like 2