New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

That maybe true, but it's more replacing the E-trac in price than DNA, it's a better Equinox on the inside.  The reason it's not replacing the Equinox is that's still competitive in its price range and a good seller, no need to replace it and they wouldn't want the Mandible at the Nox price anyway.  The E-trac wouldn't have been selling well, with the Equinox taking it's glory and the CTX being the better version of an E-trac still fills a niche that it doesn't seem the Mandacole is set out to replace.

The way I'll decide is using the Munchable and then seeing if I think I'd use my Nox again over it, if not or in very little cases then it's a Nox replacement for me, and I'll do the same with my CTX.   I suspect it will be the Nox it will replace, not the CTX (or E-trac if I had one) being such different technology.

I think so too. It will replace the Nox faster than it will replace the E Trac or CTX for me. Unless....... it can't hit a gold chain🤔

13 hours ago, Hamid said:

That's so sad news. It's not reasonable price,  I will never buy.

10 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Good Luck trying to explain the premium pricing over Nox.

These are some offers at Miners Den in Australia: Mongrel - $2,499 or CTX 3030 -$2,695 or Equinox 800 - $1,249.. Which would you go for if you had the bucks? 

Screenshot 2022-09-03 143159.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-04 090240.jpg

2.jpg

48 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

Which would you go for if you had the bucks? 

If I had none of them already?  Probably the Manticore if money was not a concern. Surely it will be an upgrade on a Nox and better weight wise and speed wise than the CTX.  

But, since I already have a Nox, I will be waiting for a CTX upgrade purely in the hope that separation/ID capabilities/ergonomics/speed, etc, etc, are far superior from anything available at that time.   In many of the environments we all work it is imperative to be digging as few holes as possible.  

My wish list is probably over the top and not achievable but we can always hope  😉

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Luis said:

here a new video with more adjustments of the manticore

I don't understand the language of this video, but the first few minutes appear to show that it has multitone audio (all tones?  full tones??) carried over from earlier models, e.g. Equinox.

14 hours ago, longbow62 said:

I hope that in the near future Minelab will come out with a better pinpointer. Maybe like the MI-6 which could pair with the detector.

If Minelab made a pinpointer that could pair with the detector and run inline similar to the old Sunray's, it would be a home run in my book.  I understand the challenges, but it's not unreasonable to think they couldn't do it, especially if they ditched Bluetooth leveraging their proprietary low-latency wireless as it appears.  Might even convert the few remaining holdouts that wouldn't go to the Equinox because they couldn't live without their Sunray inline probe (you know who you are @Tom_in_CA 😁

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Luis said:

here a new video with more adjustments of the manticore

Although I don't speak Polish, there was a fair bit of information one could glean from that video.  I like what I see so far, everything appears to be better compared to it's predecessor, even the audio sounds a bit more refined.

When the user switches from the Manticore to the EQX800 @ 12:17 in the video he detects a wedge(?) and it TIDs right around 13, that's exactly been my experience in the field with the EQX800 on similar iron tools (wedges, pick heads, ax heads, etc).   Interestingly the first time he ran the Manticore over those large bits of iron it was silent, and I didn't see an onscreen TID.  The second time he went over the iron targets with the Manticore after the EQX800 it did detect them with audio and TID.  I guess I missed what he changed between tests.  

I was hoping he'd put that hammered silver on the wedge and retest 🙄

• Like 2

I've been looking at that too.   Accept reject advanced screen?  Target ID and  ferrous adjustments.  Settings look straight forward and slick.  When he kicks the iron i was hoping it would be closer to the coin.  Menu navigation looks a a lot better for sure.

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Although I don't speak Polish, there was a fair bit of information one could glean from that video.  I like what I see so far, everything appears to be better compared to it's predecessor, even the audio sounds a bit more refined.

When the user switches from the Manticore to the EQX800 @ 12:17 in the video he detects a wedge(?) and it TIDs right around 13, that's exactly been my experience in the field with the EQX800 on similar iron tools (wedges, pick heads, ax heads, etc).   Interestingly the first time he ran the Manticore over those large bits of iron it was silent, and I didn't see an onscreen TID.  The second time he went over the iron targets with the Manticore after the EQX800 it did detect them with audio and TID.  I guess I missed what he changed between tests.  

I was hoping he'd put that hammered silver on the wedge and retest 🙄

I liked that part of the video very much.  That was very FBS-like, in that the reason the wedge was not detected was because he adjusted the FERROUS discrimination.  If you noticed, the coin he swung over was mid 30s for its conductive ID, which was very similar to the "conductive" ID of the wedge (the conductive ID for the wedge ranged up as high as mid 30s also, see my picture, below).  On the Equinox, the only way to discriminate the wedge, if you wanted to (since there is only conductive information, and no "2-D" ability) would be to set disc up in the mid teens -- which discriminates NOT ONLY the wedge, but also a nickel (or the coin shown in the video).  BUT -- with 2-D (ferrous AND conductive) information available for each target, you can discriminate based on the FERROUS information, only, if you choose.  And in that way, while both targets ID in the mid 30s on the CONDUCTIVE side, the FERROUS ID of each target is much different.  So, proper setup of your discrimination -- with your discrimination based off of the FERROUS ID, means you can discriminate the wedge, but still detect a coin that, from the "conductive" perspective, would ID very similar to the wedge.  There's no way to discriminate the wedge from the coin, on an Equinox; on the Manticore however, just like on the CTX, E-Trac, or an Explorer, you can EASILY discriminate the wedge, and NOT a coin that has a similar conductive ID.

For anyone familiar with FBS, what I just said is very basic.  But, for those, like GB_Amateur, who are not familiar with FBS machines, hopefully this helps, in that this is a good illustration of what having 2D target information (FE as well as CO) allows you to do, in terms of setting up the machine.  

NOTE -- of COURSE the primary discriminator needs to be the one "between our ears," with audio being "where it's at," in terms of discerning targets.  We all know this.  But, all I am trying to illustrate is that having the ability to discriminate based on FE ID is a tool that is helpful, and it's a tool I really missed on the EQX...

Steve

manticore.jpg.59ec3cd6ef91c265738dc329e4827be7.jpg

• Like 7