New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

From the Munchausen detailed specs page,...

You had me for a bit there, Chase.  Given that Lawrie said they were going to travel about Europe for 2 weeks until returning to Great Britain for Detectival, and the fact we've already gotten two (maybe more) videos from the continent, this sounded like a German town where I thought maybe more had been revealed by Lawrie.  (And with a little Google mapping I found two towns near the Rhine region with very similar names (one East of Cologne and one in France just across the Rhine, about 30 km West of Stuttgart), except both had double-H in the middle and the one still in Germany had an umlaut over the first 'u'.

This bastardizing of the detector name has got to stop before someone get's hurt!  You'll shoot your eye out, kid!!  :laugh:

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

This bastardizing of the detector name has got to stop before someone get's hurt! 

Only Minelab can stop it now...they started it with no regard for the existential ramifications of their reckless detector name spitballing sessions.   

Liked the Christmas Story reference...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

From the Munchausen detailed specs page, below are the two upper/lower Ferrous Limit settings ranges and another related setting (ferrous limits custom) that we are going to need the manual to decipher but from the video previously posted by Luis, it appears you can set up to 4 custom ferrous limit profiles.  What was interesting from that video is that it appears that the various large "falsing" ferrous items differed as to whether they showed up in the upper region (horseshoe-shaped thing) or the lower region (wedge), so you might have to do some in situ/in the field yesting to see how you might want to set up your custom ferrous limits profile for your site.

SmartSelect_20220904_102525_Chrome.jpg.815ffa31ee3816d5a961f879b108df9c.jpg

Hmm....

Thanks for providing this, Chase.  The numbers (0 to 9, and 0 to 14) are not an issue; the principle that I was describing stays the same, but...the issue is, WHERE DOES THE 99 IRON ID SEGMENTS THING COME IN, that Tom D. talked about (which is what you asked, earlier)?  

Guess we will have to wait for the manual, as you said...

The other thing I'm wondering about, as you said you also are, is -- what the meaning of the red underline is, under the CO number (that Minelab is calling a "Ferrous Indicator").

Hopefully we'll get to see a manual, sooner rather than later, but I bet we don't see it until very close to product release...

Steve

• Like 2

On the ctx steel bottle caps will read toward the top middle of the screen when in ferous coin mode...larger ferrous items will  be at the bottom...one of the best things about the ctx is its abilities to notch out bottle caps and other trash and still be able to find gold rings without fear of notching them out as well...this works at moderate depth and of course the deeper you go things go differently...minelab has taken a page out of the book on the fbs line with the manticore.

Strick

• Like 3

2 hours ago, steveg said:

Hmm....

Thanks for providing this, Chase.  The numbers (0 to 9, and 0 to 14) are not an issue; the principle that I was describing stays the same, but...the issue is, WHERE DOES THE 99 IRON ID SEGMENTS THING COME IN, that Tom D. talked about (which is what you asked, earlier)?  

Guess we will have to wait for the manual, as you said...

The other thing I'm wondering about, as you said you also are, is -- what the meaning of the red underline is, under the CO number (that Minelab is calling a "Ferrous Indicator").

Hopefully we'll get to see a manual, sooner rather than later, but I bet we don't see it until very close to product release...

Steve

Yup, everything right now is sheer speculation until we can get it in our hands and turn "MentalMasterbation" into something real!😄

• Haha 1

I have been using an Etrac on a regular basis for over nine years and have found close to 500 silver coins with it.  I bought an Equinox 600 in February 2018, but rarely use it.  The Etrac is superior at finding deep silver coins in most circumstances with the Equinox only excelling at unmasking or finding nickels in Park 2.

I absolutely hate the ergonomics of the Equinox, and vastly prefer swinging my heavy Etrac or my rinky dink Vanquish 540.  I wouldn't even own the Vanquish 540 if the ergonomics of the Equinox were not so horrible.  The Equinox is almost impossible to use without the arm cuff strap because the detector is not properly balanced, and I have no interest in attaching a counterweight to it.

Just like the Equinox, I don't foresee the Manticore making me retire my Etrac, if for no other reason than because the ergonomic deficiency of the Equinox has not been remedied.  When a $199 Vanquish 340 has better ergonomics than the latest $1599 Minelab product, something is wrong.

• Like 1

No full manual and weird marketing points to pressure to get this in the buyers head now to stall buying other makes.   The manual isn't available due to software tweaking I'm thinking, the basic start up guide isn't affected.  Depending how anal  or conflicted the engineering team is will determine release date.  New Minelab releases crank up used classifieds everytime.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

It seems many of us are trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip with our interpretation of what little has been revealed so far.  Along that vein 😁, on the graphics part of the screen, it appears as though there is a histogram of signals at the bottom of the image.  Or is that just the ferrous limit(s) for the lower part of the ferrous scale?  And while we're on that subject, why do both the upper part and lower part say 'more ferrous'?  Is the vertical scale not actually monotonic (going from low to high in one direction)?

FBS2 is VLF with a bit of PI for ferrous discrimination thrown in.

Multi IQ+ with 2D screen is VLF multi frequency. On a single frequency VLF iron ID’s at the bottom or the top of your conductive scale “Iron Wrap around”. They somehow managed to indicate that wrap-around effect in the +Ferrous and -Ferrous Y axis. That is how I think of it, without on hands experience and going on the bits of info gathered from the few videos I’ve seen.

45 minutes ago, Bayard said:

I have been using an Etrac on a regular basis for over nine years and have found close to 500 silver coins with it.  I bought an Equinox 600 in February 2018, but rarely use it.  The Etrac is superior at finding deep silver coins in most circumstances with the Equinox only excelling at unmasking or finding nickels in Park 2.

I absolutely hate the ergonomics of the Equinox, and vastly prefer swinging my heavy Etrac or my rinky dink Vanquish 540.  I wouldn't even own the Vanquish 540 if the ergonomics of the Equinox were not so horrible.  The Equinox is almost impossible to use without the arm cuff strap because the detector is not properly balanced, and I have no interest in attaching a counterweight to it.

Just like the Equinox, I don't foresee the Manticore making me retire my Etrac, if for no other reason than because the ergonomic deficiency of the Equinox has not been remedied.  When a $199 Vanquish 340 has better ergonomics than the latest $1599 Minelab product, something is wrong.

Manticore is different flavoured ice-cream: depth wise, seperation wise, performance wise. We probably won’t see huge differences between D 2 most reputable detectors.

It feels like a rushed marketing job now that several other competitors are in the same race.

• Like 2