New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

still nothing for beach hunting..

it is of course that the dealers will not point out the negative points, especially this one who has been at war with XP for many years and who cannot sell it,

he has also bashed D2 in the video several times so according to him mordor is superior to d2 in all respects 😏

• Like 1

It's a long video and I'm only 1/4 of the way through it.  At least so far the translation seems fine -- the moderator asks the question in French, repeats it in English, gets an answer from Mark (in English) and finally translates what Mark said into French.

I haven't gotten to the test stand yet, but will point out that our (historic) large cent when new weighs 10.89 g and has a diameter of 27.5 mm -- apparently a bit larger in both ways compared to the test coin in the video.  Also, 50 cm is equivalent to just under 20 inches.

@phrunt, although I don't recall Minelab spelling it out so succinctly, pretty sure Steve H. said the only difference between Gold 1 and Gold 2 on the ML Equinox are in the default settings -- match those and it will give the same performance in both modes.  I still don't think they've detailed what the Manticore user profiles will be (how many allowed, etc.) so hopefully the detectorist can customize and store at least one alternate gold mode (compared to the default Gold settings), and maybe more than one.  I hope they at least release the manual soon, but until they finalize the product I don't expect to see that.  If they are serious about a release before the 2022 calendar year is complete, I suspect they are putting the finishing touches on at least the hardware, and the biggest part of the software.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vive equinox said:

still nothing for beach hunting..

it is of course that the dealers will not point out the negative points, especially this one who has been at war with XP for many years and who cannot sell it,

he has also bashed D2 in the video several times so according to him mordor is superior to d2 in all respects 😏

Yes this is absolutely true he is not allowed to sell XP detectors . He lost a case against XP a few years ago and he was fined 100 000+€ if I remember well . The reason why I moderately 🙂 trust his videos , even if he is a good trader ...

Notice that there are no other French dealers in this video , perhaps because they all sell XP as their primary detector's busines...

A good thing however he says at the end of the vid that users will be able to test the Mcore at the Detectival rallye this WE , then may be we will have more infos in a few days ...

• Oh my! 1

As we well know, it all depends of mineralization, iron and EMI. Yesterday, for example, in the place where I have been walking for 6 months, someone started data transmission ... and Deus II had problems all the time. I scan freqs. every 5 minutes and the problem kept coming back. Likewise, downward sensitivity. It happened in one place all over the spot. So real tests, not test tracks. Tests over time.

• Like 3

For the depth tests which are in French, to be simple I retain 2 French currencies that you can look on the net to compare them with your currencies:
-10 cts Napoleon III 10gr in bronze / diameter 30.02 mm detected at 50 cm.
- 5 Fr gold Napoleon III 1.61gr in gold / diameter from 14.4 mm to 17.7 mm detected at 25 cm.
What gives me a problem with the test bench is that the Manticore is unstable whereas we have described it as very stable, the seller explains that it is in a disturbed zone, nevertheless I note that the depth is clearly there .
I tested Equinox 800 in Airtest in all metals:
- 10 cts Napoleon III he detects it at a maximum of 33 cm. ID 23
- Celtic gold coin 1.81gr in gold and silver diameter 12 mm detected at 21 cm Maximum. ID 13
I don't have 5 fr gold but we are about the same weight and size. The purists will tell me you have to compare the same element in the same conditions and I hear them but 50cm and 25 cm on the gold in the video. Similarly I think it is not by chance that Mark Lawrie detects 2 Roman coins, I think there was a desire to do "extraordinary" for this test, because the site was chosen as potential for discovery because 1500-year-old coins are not found everywhere in Europe, it would be too easy, it is said to be 1h30 from Paris.

• Like 1

Quote:"The purists will tell me you have to compare the same element ...."

Yes, that's the whole idea of a 'standard' target .... you use the same target, then the results become usefully comparable. Substituting a 'modern' .900 fine ( ? ) Napoleon coin with a 2000-year old quarter-stater made from electrum ( natural gold/silver alloy ) is not worth doing.

I have to say that using ANY gold coin as a 'standard' is a poor idea. Test standards need to be low cost, or very low cost, so that anyone can readily obtain them, or several of them. I would be wanting a couple of 'test garden' ones, buried at decent depths, in different locations; maybe one tilted heavily; one for air-testing; a spare to take out in the field for impromptu in-ground tests. If they cost more than 5 US dollars, they are too expensive.

Tom Dankowski seems fond of using a 1 Dollar US coin from the 1850's as a 'difficult low conductor' test standard. Not only is it gold, it's old and collectible, so commands a price premium over it's bullion value. I went to the trouble of designing and making a 'fake dollar', that was pretty close to the real thing, and could have been reproduced by anyone with some engineering skills.
A better idea is to choose a circulating coin that has comparable characteristics to a small gold coin. There's plenty of small cupro-nickel coins worldwide; my 'favourites' include the Norway/Sweden 5 Ore from the 1980's ; the New Zealand threepence from the 1960's; the UK sixpence from the 1950's/60's; the UK 5 pence from 1990's/2000's.
  • Like 4

Air tests are great benchmarks for raw power.  Everyone puts them down but you have to have a controlled no variable test to set a benchmark.  Then compare to different ground types around the world.

• Like 2

Yes, the ground is the BIG variable. Some testers go to some trouble 'sanitising' their test ground ( removing stones, levelling the surface ..) which has the effect of making it easier to detect targets.
Plus ...no-one has any equipment to truly MEASURE the ground characteristics, not with any useful accuracy. Plus, it's moisture-dependant, affected by what frequency you choose to measure it at, and not forgetting VLF's and PI's see things differently...

I personally don't think air-tests are that useful, except for comparing MY nugget-smasher2001 with Bob in Australia's one.
It's pretty easy to modify most detectors to give more air-depth ( increase RX amplifier gains for example ) but they won't produce gains in-ground.

56 minutes ago, la torche said:

For the depth tests which are in French, to be simple I retain 2 French currencies that you can look on the net to compare them with your currencies:
-10 cts Napoleon III 10gr in bronze / diameter 30.02 mm detected at 50 cm.
- 5 Fr gold Napoleon III 1.61gr in gold / diameter from 14.4 mm to 17.7 mm detected at 25 cm.
What gives me a problem with the test bench is that the Manticore is unstable whereas we have described it as very stable, the seller explains that it is in a disturbed zone, nevertheless I note that the depth is clearly there .
I tested Equinox 800 in Airtest in all metals:
- 10 cts Napoleon III he detects it at a maximum of 33 cm. ID 23
- Celtic gold coin 1.81gr in gold and silver diameter 12 mm detected at 21 cm Maximum. ID 13
I don't have 5 fr gold but we are about the same weight and size. The purists will tell me you have to compare the same element in the same conditions and I hear them but 50cm and 25 cm on the gold in the video. Similarly I think it is not by chance that Mark Lawrie detects 2 Roman coins, I think there was a desire to do "extraordinary" for this test, because the site was chosen as potential for discovery because 1500-year-old coins are not found everywhere in Europe, it would be too easy, it is said to be 1h30 from Paris.

I don't quite understand your last paragraph.

what do you mean ?

in general in france we choose our fields in relation to certain elements which make us think that there has been passage since roman times, but as the law in this country does not allow to proceed in this way, everyone will say that they go randomly in any field,

in the video he even says that since they have found 2 roman coins they stop looking in this field... we all know that it is a field that has been hunted again and again for a long time in which they knew that there was still potential for interesting finds.

there are a lot of Roman coins in France, when I was hunting the land I found a lot of them, I even found some on the beach...

I am not surprised that mark in digs 2 however

this does not tell us anything about manticore since the targets found would have been with any detector

• Like 2

I say that there is a desire to do "extraordinary", that is to say To show that the Manticore finds objects,the romain coins from Constantinus (306-337)   is not the hazard if one looked for a POTENTIAL site known to do this. Indeed any detector could have found it given the shallow depth of burial, even a MANTICORE. i'm repet is not innocent this, we dont find the romains coins.