New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

At 42:19 they dig a roman coin.  ID 35 signal low on graph, ferrous.  Lawrie's prediction is "a round piece of metal ".  pops out the coin Lawrie say's "must have been deep, very far off,  nearly out of depth range."  It looked about 8"-10" to me, again i see nothing special about discrimination ability.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PimentoUK said:

Plus ...no-one has any equipment to truly MEASURE the ground characteristics, not with any useful accuracy. Plus, it's moisture-dependant, affected by what frequency you choose to measure it at, and not forgetting VLF's and PI's see things differently...

Unless you use the same ground all the time for the depth tests . For example with test boxes . Then the ground variable is fixed because you never change the ground . you just change the detectors or the detectors settings . And there is no moisture if you protect the boxes with covers .

I use my tests boxes since several years now and I always get exactly the same depth results on a given target for a given detector. They are very useful . For example I used them to determine the deepest modes of the Deus2 during my D2 tests in March.. 

I agree on the pure air tests,  I dont use them , you cant draw any reliable conclusion from them ..

Example : testing the Equinox 800 + 8" coil on a 2g coin at 15cm depth on one of my test boxes :

DSC02264.JPG

• Like 3

I'm not enthusiastic about 'test boxes' either. They need to be pretty large, especially for most single-frequency machines, that use filtering to help seperate ground-signal from target-signal. Multi-freq machines are not so dependant on this ( I think ), relying on measuring the ground at two ( or more ) different frequencies to largely reduce ground signal.

Also, real ground is compact, which is hard to replicate in a box. When I buried my test-garden items, I used a lump of wood ( 2" x 2" / 50mm x 50mm) to pack down the soil in 2 inch layers as I refilled the hole, ensuring there was minimal inconsistency in the site. I didn't want my machine false-detecting the hole, nor the opposite effect, suffering reduced performance due to ground-signal fluctuations.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, PimentoUK said:

Also, real ground is compact, which is hard to replicate in a box. 

Yes and no , the first 10 or 15cms of ground of a plowed field are not compact at all because they have been moved by the plow and they are a mix of air , ground and sometimes straw , especially when the weather is dry like this summer ..

I agree that the soil can be much more compact in a wood or a forest . But I noticed that on my boxes too the ground  is more compact than what it was a few years ago , but for some reason it did not change the detector performances on the boxes...

• Like 1

Ploughed land is indeed difficult, for several reasons. And it's difficult to reproduce, so it's not surprising that no-one talks about depth in such ground.
Depth tests are mostly relevant to flat, undisturbed ground; public parks; pasture farmland; woodland; grazing land. But these are where targets can be, and often are, deep. And the deep targets are potentially the desireable ones.

• Like 3

A bit late, but wanted to thank everyone who chimed into answer some of my questions about PI vs. VLF, time domain and frequency domain, etc.

I am on a vacation now, and so little time to post, but I've been reading all replies and I greatly appreciate the time taken to help further my understanding...

A sincere thank you!

Steve

• Like 4

Sorry if i may have missed this in an earlier post, could the 50% increase in power be related to increasing the percentage of a low frequency waveform to the manticore SMF mix?  I know my Deus1 drew battery power at higher rates as i changed to lower frequencies. If minelab is using a new lower frequency and has changed the recipe of frequencies,to go after higher conductors with the new manticore, wouldn't this account for a higher current draw and thus allow Minelab to make this claim?

Just throwing this out there. 

Rich - 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Sorry if i may have missed this in an earlier post, could the 50% increase in power be related to increasing the percentage of a low frequency waveform to the manticore SMF mix?  I know my Deus1 drew battery power at higher rates as i changed to lower frequencies. If minelab is using a new lower frequency and has changed the recipe of frequencies,to go after higher conductors with the new manticore, wouldn't this account for a higher current draw and thus allow Minelab to make this claim?

Just throwing this out there. 

Rich - 

Interesting thought, Rich.  You can bet someone with a spectrum analyzer and time to kill will be looking at that.  The first month or two after commercial release will be filled with reports and we'll all (in the north) have some fun winter reading and watching.

I think i will steer clear of the Manticore. I don't think it's going to be as good as the price is going to be. Also, how much is dug at 50 cm? Not a lot. 

But the big issue i have is that the battery lasts only around 9 hours normal use and if you use the light, vibration and any boosts then it could be as low as 7 hours? Thats what i have been hearing. And the battery takes 7 hours to charge! Not good enough by far. I hit the beaches for way longer than that. And land digs can be longer than that during the longer days of the year.

Has Minelab not learned anything about battery tech since the abortion of a battery pack they put in the Explorer all those years ago? Look at the RNB. 

The arm cup looks less bulk than the Nox one and unless it's made of something else might break like i have seen the Nox one's break. 

The coil lugs are going to be on the stem, am i the only cynic? that the only reason that they have done that is to save them money when replacing broken parts in warranties and not saving us money after warranties have run out? The lugs still look thin. Maybe the cynic in me thinking ooh squeeze every last gram out of the weight we can!

All carbon fibre stem. Looks good but expensive to replace if that breaks. I think using that in the sea doing beach hunting will put an awful lot of stress on the stem. I noticed that on the Nox even with the aftermarket stems. The Legend is rock solid in the oggin. This whole thing about going lightweight may be starting to go too far. 

I have read that it has 99 Co numbers, that's good but why 99 Fe numbers? And they don't show on the screen. 

The Nox suffered from EMI issues when i used it on the beaches i go to and even on many digs too. The only way to solve it was to go single freq! And the Minelab ad was?? all that gumpf about making single freqs obsolete. On a video seeing the Manticore it seemed to be like the Nox, unstable?

All this for £1799 UK. 

People find plenty with cheaper machines and hoards get found with cheap Garretts etc. Beaches are getting harder now cashless is here or almost and paying for your new toy might be a lot harder. 

And with times getting harder out there due to bills and economic woes maybe Minelab brought this out a little late?

Anyway even though here in the UK we pay VAT on almost everything £1799 is a bit steep. The Deus can be bought for £1260 with discount and the Legend Pro for £710. 

I'm not seeing that much other than looks that make me think the Manticore is worth buying. I have learned from past mistakes that first impressions are best ignored. 

Maybe if Minelab ignored the shareholder's bonus!

Still love my E.Trac though.

• Like 4