New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

5 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

So Lawrie said something interesting at the 15:40 mark about the Beast M105 phones utilizing a different low latency wireless "technology" than the GPX 6000's M100 wireless phones.  I also noticed that ML is not utilizing the Bluetooth symbol on the Beast's screen (though they are still using the "+" symbol) like they did on the Equinox.  I suspect they are still utilizing APTX-LL or perhaps APTX Adaptive (!!) but it was an interesting statement and the subtle change on the Beast's screen graphics, point to ML perhaps activating a built-in proprietary Wi-Max radio (ML's proprietary low latency wireless system) down the road if APTX-LL becomes unobtanium.

Excellent write up, Chase! I saw in an early video by Addicted to Bleeps that he asked Lawrie if the Manticore was still Bluetooth and he answered, no it has a faster proprietary wireless system. Perhaps the new WiFi + symbol eludes to a built-in WM08 module or something similar?

Also, I don't see this as an Equinox replacement, but a higher end model of their Multi-IQ line. That way ML will have a lower end, midline, and high-end model SMF, ala Vanquish, Equinox, and Manticore.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I love Lawrie and most hard core detector engineers.

Says another engineer.  :biggrin:

I'm not one, although I've done some of their tasks, and I also have great respect for most (but not all) of the ones I've worked with.  It's refreshing to hear directly from an engineer as opposed to through a filter, from a salesman/marketeer.  (Misspelling intended.  :laugh:)  I suspect the "we can't talk about that" is drummed into every Minelab employee's head so no criticism of Mark for saying it, too.  Bottom line for me is it just seems like we're getting straight answers.  For example, he has never said anything close to 50% more depth.  But he's multiple times said 50% more power to the coil.  I'm sure he knows that to be a fact.  If people are so ignorant as to translate that to 50% more depth then it's their problem.  I'm so sick of "dumbing down" I could scream.  Stop catering to the lazy s___s who are proud to have gone through school not learning anything.  ("Tell us how you really feel, Chuck.")

In the first video that Shelton linked (German guy interviewing Lawrie), I didn't see much that hadn't been said already, but it's a nice concise review and with good audio.  Detectival videos are dribbling in.  I hope those (or at least some) will show live digs as opposed to repeating all the features, screenshots of settings menus, etc.  We'll see....

4 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Pros:

• More Visual ID Information with shapes/positions that give the user more visual target intel  with better TID Resolution

Personally this is what has me excited.  Maybe I'll be disappointed, but I've noticed over many years putting up plots that many people just glaze over rather than try and figure out what they are saying.  If "a picture's worth a thousand words", isn't a plot worth a lot more than just a couple numbers?  I missed out on the FBS(2) and V3i graphics.  I don't think I'm going to miss out on this one, but I also am going to sit tight while giving the objective early adopters a chance to wow(?) us with their reviews.  Hopefully by early spring (March) I'll have enough intel to make a decision and the supply channels will have time to loosen up as well.  🤞

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I saw in an early video by Addicted to Bleeps that he asked Lawrie if the Manticore was still Bluetooth and he answered, no it has a faster proprietary wireless system. Perhaps the new WiFi + symbol eludes to a built-in WM08 module or something similar?

Pretty much looks that way.  Good for future proofing Manticore, bad for obtaining 3rd party wireless headphones.  It would be great if the WM08 module were compatible with Manticore or if the M105's were backward compatible with Equinox, but that's unlikely given ML's track record for making Wi-Max accessories (e.g., M08, M10, M12) incompatible across detector platforms.

• Like 1

atpX LL is extinct, Adaptive and HD are too slow, they had no choice really to go a wifi solution using 2.4GHz.  What sucks is they never make them backwards compatible though, I wish I could use my WM12 from the GPZ with my CTX as I didn't get the package with a WM10 and I can't justify the cost of a WM10, I don't like the WM08 as it has no speaker so I'd use my WM12 on the Nox too if I could.  So yea, I'm sure the Maurederable is going to be a WM14 style wireless technology likely with no changes other than compatibility that is incompatible with all previous versions but instead of a little wireless gadget it will have just headphones.  That too sucks as there should have been WM08, WM10 and WM12 headphones so you didn't need to use the little black box if you wanted to go direct to headphones using that tech instead of Bluetooth.

• Like 2