New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

3 hours ago, palzynski said:

I agree . By far the mostly used coil in Europe ( or at least in France ) for inland hunting is the 9" coil ( or equivalent 10X8) , just because of this "ocean of iron" . The 11" is rather used in cleaner areas ( forrests etc ) .. Nobody uses bigger coils over here except beach hunters ..

That is it. I'm talking exactly about that mate.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Hmmm...that's interesting.   How does it balance with the second handle?  I've seen a foam disc slipped in under the control pod too that seemed to work okay. 

I am one that thought the Equinox balance was fine. The washer on top of the grip gives you lots of control. I had one of the original Doc's CF shafts and have been beach hunting this way for over 20 years. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I've seen a foam disc slipped in under the control pod too that seemed to work okay.

The pool noodle solution!  😁  I did that, plus added tennis grip tape to the full handle, plus converted to an S-shaft (modifying an ML X-Terra shaft).  I see the Manticore has a step in the new (larger) handle / hand-grip to presumably take care of the Equinox issue of hand sliding up and uncomfortably coming in contact with the bottom of the contol pod.  Time will tell if the hard grip has been replaced with a softer (more comfortable for me, anyway) grip surface.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, palzynski said:

I agree . By far the mostly used coil in Europe ( or at least in France ) for inland hunting is the 9" coil ( or equivalent 10X8) , just because of this "ocean of iron" . The 11" is rather used in cleaner areas ( forrests etc ) .. Nobody uses bigger coils over here except beach hunters ..

Pretty much the same story here in the U.S.  Maybe some field hunters on the east coast and beach hunters use giant coils, but even the Hoover Boys field hunting are using the stock coils on their machines (11" coils). 

• Like 1

I think it all comes down to junk levels, I can walk for 20 minutes on a beach and not find a target at all so using big coils makes sense there, same goes for my other grass locations, target density is the deciding factor, If I was getting multiple targets under the coil I'd prefer smaller coils but in general I can get away with using bigger coils fine with a target every few minutes of swinging and get the extra ground coverage and depth they provide.  My default Nox coil for park/beach was the 15x12" and my default CTX coil is the 17x13" for the same places. 

I certainly understand people with high trash levels using smaller coils, I would be too.  After using the 17x13" a lot putting on the 11" feels tiny and you look at the wide open parkland and down at the little 11" coil and it's intimidating 🙂

It's good they're releasing a 15x12" for the Mandible like the Nox but the fact they haven't released the 17x13" size for it has me hoping a new CTX is coming some day with the 17x13" size again.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

I think it all comes down to junk levels, I can walk for 20 minutes on a beach and not find a target at all so using big coils makes sense there, same goes for my other grass locations, target density is the deciding factor, If I was getting multiple targets under the coil I'd prefer smaller coils but in general I can get away with using bigger coils fine with a target every few minutes of swinging and get the extra ground coverage and depth they provide.  My default Nox coil for park/beach was the 15x12" and my default CTX coil is the 17x13" for the same places. 

I certainly understand people with high trash levels using smaller coils, I would be too.  After using the 17x13" a lot putting on the 11" feels tiny and you look at the wide open parkland and down at the little 11" coil and it's intimidating 🙂

It's good they're releasing a 15x12" for the Mandible like the Nox but the fact they haven't released the 17x13" size for it has me hoping a new CTX is coming some day with the 17x13" size again.

Totally understand.  Psychologically it's tough running the 6" coil on the EQX, feels like you're painting a 747 with a Q-tip, yet it works well for the right application.  

At one of our old stage stop sites there's a sea of nails area that's been the most productive area, and as such, also the most heavily hit.  It was to the point where I'd stuck out on old coins for a couple of hunts, and I decided to try the 15" x 12" coil on the EQX800 and ended up digging three seated silver dimes in one hunt right in the sea of nails.  There were square nails in every hole I dug. 

Counter intuitive to say the least.  

• Like 4

Quite often a big coil will have a better angled line of sight on a deeper 3D co-located target.  It is really surprising to dig a deeper good keeper after going over the spot really well with smaller coils. That's fun.

• Like 5