New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

If it goes that deep on gold ring it's going to be hard to pass up on.

• Like 1

I think that's a comment he will regret, i would say it was an exaggeration as a PI isn't even doing that. He was having a bit of a joke about some guy.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2022 at 6:04 PM, Chase Goldman said:

If Magnetic Island Erik gets one, we'll see how M-core performs and stands up relative to Nox and D2 in submerged salt water environs, too.  So hoping he litterally makes the plunge early, as well, since that will be telling.

That'll be a huge IF Chase.. I won't be taking the plunge early with this one.. I'm quite happy to see what field testers have to say first about how it performs on beaches, silver coins and small gold.. Once bitten, twice shy as far as I'm concerned with being an early adapter.. I'm merrily following the bandwagon along to see where it leads me.. I reckon it'll be good, but then that's what I said about the D2.. 🙂   

• Like 4

16 hours ago, UtahRich said:

The visual i DO think is a histogram type that builds a display image on the 2D screen with multiple sweeps - hence being able to see oblong vs round images. 

Regarding the polyphonic audio - i saw your post over on Tom D's site - I'm thinking it will be more like this:

. . . the DTMF (touchtone used by the phone company) system as an example. Overlapping tones - a group of ascending tones for the conductive value and another set of ascending tones, distinct from the first, for the ferrous value. Every X-Y coordinate / point would have a distinctive pair of tones for its' audio value. The ear is very good at differentiating tones.

In the case of multiple targets under the coil at once, two sets of tones would be quite distinctive from each other, in the case of a rusty nail AND a silver dime. An M-core user would hear and see the two different 'targets' and proceed as they see fit.

Rich -

Rich, very interesting, on the tones.  I hadn't ever thought of "touchtone" as being "overlapping tones," but in thinking about it, I kind of know what you mean.  It will be very interesting to see how Minelab accomplishes the FE and CO tones "together," if that's indeed what will be happening.

Meanwhile, as far as the "histogram" thing, maybe we are defining "histogram" differently.  But as I am defining it, the screen as I am imagining it, will not be a "histogram" based on the mathematical definition of a histogram.  That being, something that looks a "bar chart," i.e. a series of adjacent rectangles, where the height of the rectangle is proportional to the frequency of a variable, while the width of the rectangle is proportional to a "range" of values for that variable (for instance, 1 to 10, 11 to 20, 21 to 30, etc.)

Again ASSUMING that the Manticore 2-D screen will be similar to the CTX screen, and I strongly think it will, then the proper way to think of it is an x,y coordinate system, where, each time the machine "calculates" an x,y pair for a target, a point is plotted on the screen in the proper x,y location...with the plotted point's x,y location corresponding to the FE and CO ID pair of the target, as calculated by the machine's ID algorithm.  The screen will be set to "keep" a plotted point visible for some set length of time (before it begins to fade away), with additional, simultaneous points plotted continually as the machine continues to calculate additional ID values for the target, with these ID (x,y) points "accumulating" over time on the screen, in their respective, proper x,y locations.

Steve

• Like 5

vive -- I do not know.  I don't recall ever doing that test.  I'll try to remember to drag out my CTX sometime soon, and give it a try.  Does the size of coin, and depth of burial, matter to you?

Steve

On 10/13/2022 at 2:35 AM, steveg said:

I am wondering if the mixed audio will be like running both "conductive tones" and "ferrous tones," as you could on the Explorers and E-Trac, but AT THE SAME TIME (one in either ear).  Now THAT could be interesting...

Steve

Didn't the Blisstool do that also?

It's a somewhat rare feature as far a detectors go.

• Like 1

Not sure, Cal, but very interesting...as I wasn't aware that any other brands were able to take a "CO" and a "FE" snapshot of a target, like FBS does (and now, M-Core).

Steve

18 hours ago, steveg said:

vive -- I do not know.  I don't recall ever doing that test.  I'll try to remember to drag out my CTX sometime soon, and give it a try.  Does the size of coin, and depth of burial, matter to you?

Steve

Let’s say a big conductive copper or nickel coin 

depth 5 cm , 10cm ,20 cm more or less 

i know nox give me sometimes ferrous tone on burried edge 1 euro coin on the beach 

Manticore in the video give good tone but ferrous 2D trace, okay it’s another coin and on land ...

wonder what happen with ctx feco in this conditions 🤔