New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

4 hours ago, deathray said:

Nautilus did. And yeah, I think Blisstool too. 

Ray did you ever use the Nautilus? 

Just curious how useful this feature is?

On 10/14/2022 at 1:57 AM, steveg said:

Rich, very interesting, on the tones.  I hadn't ever thought of "touchtone" as being "overlapping tones," but in thinking about it, I kind of know what you mean.  It will be very interesting to see how Minelab accomplishes the FE and CO tones "together," if that's indeed what will be happening.

Meanwhile, as far as the "histogram" thing, maybe we are defining "histogram" differently.  But as I am defining it, the screen as I am imagining it, will not be a "histogram" based on the mathematical definition of a histogram.  That being, something that looks a "bar chart," i.e. a series of adjacent rectangles, where the height of the rectangle is proportional to the frequency of a variable, while the width of the rectangle is proportional to a "range" of values for that variable (for instance, 1 to 10, 11 to 20, 21 to 30, etc.)

Again ASSUMING that the Manticore 2-D screen will be similar to the CTX screen, and I strongly think it will, then the proper way to think of it is an x,y coordinate system, where, each time the machine "calculates" an x,y pair for a target, a point is plotted on the screen in the proper x,y location...with the plotted point's x,y location corresponding to the FE and CO ID pair of the target, as calculated by the machine's ID algorithm.  The screen will be set to "keep" a plotted point visible for some set length of time (before it begins to fade away), with additional, simultaneous points plotted continually as the machine continues to calculate additional ID values for the target, (YES - this is what I meant to describe) with these ID (x,y) points "accumulating" over time on the screen, in their respective, proper x,y locations.

Steve

I agree Steve - I described my thoughts poorly.  I do see that Tom D commented VERY briefly on his website about audio - I think the key with the polyphonic audio is to come up with tones for each scale (conductive and ferrous) that are pleasant to listen to AND sound pleasant when they 'overlap each other'.

Like many here, I jumped on the FBS bandwagon way back when the Explorer series was first introduced and spent many years listening to the audio target ID symphony, as some call it. Seems like just a regular day out detecting to us as our ears have been trained.

I'm anxious to use and learn the new M-core system - sounds like you are as well. 

Rich 

Rich --

Oh, yes, I am right there with you.  Sounds like we have similar experiences in the past (listening for a long time, to the Explorer audio), and so we are used to that -- and as such, I'm looking forward to the audio options on the Manticore.  Especially so, since Tom D. is in on the project, and he is VERY BIG on audio needing to convey "information," or "intelligence," as he calls it.  I am excited to see what they've come up with, in that regard, and how they might "overlap" CO and FE tones -- in a way that conveys target information to us in what (after some practice) could become sort of "intuitive" (in terms of what the machine is telling us about the target).

As for the 2-D screen, I hope I am not/did not come across as argumentative, or nit-picky.  I guess I'm just thinking in my mind that for anyone who hasn't used a 2-D "smart screen" in the past, imagining how it works, and what it will be displaying, would likely be a bit complex/confusing.  It's like you have to understand the idea of CO/FE, and then how that would display on a 2D screen, before it can begin to make any sense.  So, I'm just trying to be precise, so that it can hopefully be of some help to some; but please don't take it that I'm being argumentative.  Not my intent at all!

Steve

• Like 2

9 hours ago, steveg said:

Rich --

Oh, yes, I am right there with you.  Sounds like we have similar experiences in the past (listening for a long time, to the Explorer audio), and so we are used to that -- and as such, I'm looking forward to the audio options on the Manticore.  Especially so, since Tom D. is in on the project, and he is VERY BIG on audio needing to convey "information," or "intelligence," as he calls it.  I am excited to see what they've come up with, in that regard, and how they might "overlap" CO and FE tones -- in a way that conveys target information to us in what (after some practice) could become sort of "intuitive" (in terms of what the machine is telling us about the target).

As for the 2-D screen, I hope I am not/did not come across as argumentative, or nit-picky.  I guess I'm just thinking in my mind that for anyone who hasn't used a 2-D "smart screen" in the past, imagining how it works, and what it will be displaying, would likely be a bit complex/confusing.  It's like you have to understand the idea of CO/FE, and then how that would display on a 2D screen, before it can begin to make any sense.  So, I'm just trying to be precise, so that it can hopefully be of some help to some; but please don't take it that I'm being argumentative.  Not my intent at all!

Steve

Argumentative ?   Heck no. Not at all.  

My first glance at the M-core screen made me think of the etrac i used for several years with the 12 line. I never moved up to the 3030 so am not privy to any of its' ways. I'm thinking this is going to be similar to the etrac i always hoped for in a lighter package. 

Meanwhile, we move closer to getting one in hand- guess the dealers actually have cost and ordering info now. . . . . 

rich - 

3 hours ago, UtahRich said:

Argumentative ?   Heck no. Not at all.  

My first glance at the M-core screen made me think of the etrac i used for several years with the 12 line. I never moved up to the 3030 so am not privy to any of its' ways. I'm thinking this is going to be similar to the etrac i always hoped for in a lighter package. 

Meanwhile, we move closer to getting one in hand- guess the dealers actually have cost and ordering info now. . . . . 

rich - 

Yep, the CTX and E-Trac screens were quite similar.

One thing that I think will be different, is that on the E-Trac and CTX, the lower ferrous numbers plot toward the top of the screen, and the higher ferrous numbers plot toward the bottom of the screen.  However, on the M-Core, it looks like near the top of the screen will be iron, AND near the bottom of the screen will be iron.  I think smaller iron, like nails, will be plotted near the top, and big iron like horseshoes, etc., will plot near the bottom (or vice versa).  Meanwhile, the non-ferrous targets will plot near the middle of the screen.  So, it's different in that way, but still, the same general idea...

Steve

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steveg said:

Yep, the CTX and E-Trac screens were quite similar.

One thing that I think will be different, is that on the E-Trac and CTX, the lower ferrous numbers plot toward the top of the screen, and the higher ferrous numbers plot toward the bottom of the screen.  However, on the M-Core, it looks like near the top of the screen will be iron, AND near the bottom of the screen will be iron.  I think smaller iron, like nails, will be plotted near the top, and big iron like horseshoes, etc., will plot near the bottom (or vice versa).  Meanwhile, the non-ferrous targets will plot near the middle of the screen.  So, it's different in that way, but still, the same general idea...

Steve

Ya, I saw that. On one of the YouTube videos with Mark Lawrie, bottlecaps were showing up below the "12 line" or whatever it will be called, rather than above as on the etrac. Just a little bit of a brain twister to make adjustments for.  I'm Sure you remember when the etrac killed the S line of the explorer series. Kicking a hornets next with all of the explorer users.

I'm under the impression that discrimination with the screen works differently as well. Did you catch that too? or am i mistaken?