New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

\

18 minutes ago, UtahRich said:

Ya, I saw that. On one of the YouTube videos with Mark Lawrie, bottlecaps were showing up below the "12 line" or whatever it will be called, rather than above as on the etrac. Just a little bit of a brain twister to make adjustments for.  I'm Sure you remember when the etrac killed the S line of the explorer series. Kicking a hornets next with all of the explorer users.

I'm under the impression that discrimination with the screen works differently as well. Did you catch that too? or am i mistaken?

yeah, the top ferrous region is FE and the bottom region is F2 like on the equinox.

I'm wondering does any aftermarket bone conduction earphone can be use with manticore wirelessly. I cant take risk using the full cup headphone because of environmental awareness since at my detecting site people has encounter wild animal like  python, cobra, crocodile and wildhog etc

• Oh my! 1

Dang, everyone of those critters stay in a bad mood all the time.

10 hours ago, UtahRich said:

Ya, I saw that. On one of the YouTube videos with Mark Lawrie, bottlecaps were showing up below the "12 line" or whatever it will be called, rather than above as on the etrac. Just a little bit of a brain twister to make adjustments for.  I'm Sure you remember when the etrac killed the S line of the explorer series. Kicking a hornets next with all of the explorer users.

I'm under the impression that discrimination with the screen works differently as well. Did you catch that too? or am i mistaken?

Rich,

OH, yes, I remember that, very well!  Moving from the "Explorer" way of doing things, over to the E-Trac's (and then CTX's) approach, i.e. "normalize FE numbers of 'good' targets to the '12-line' thing," was not something I liked, at all.  With the Explorer, I found that you could glean information NOT ONLY from the behavior of the CO number of a target, but also from the way the FE number behaved (changed) on a deeper target.  That ability (watching FE behavior),"went away," of course, with the E-Trac (and CTX) with all good targets forced/normalized to 12 FE.  

As for the discrimination, I haven't seen any videos of the details of how the disc. screen will work, but it's not clear in my mind.  The way I like to run the Explorer (and CTX) is to set "iron bias" to disc. out higher ferrous values (I set my iron bias at 20 on the Explorer, so that anything above 20 FE was disced out).  I'm not sure how you would do that, on the M-Core, unless you would disc. out a strip at the top of the screen, AND a strip at the bottom of the screen?  

With that said, I have always run the Equinox with NO disc, and just set my iron volume low, to "hear" the iron, but at a softer, less intrusive volume.  Ironically, pertinent to this discussion, I took the CTX out today for the first time in ages, just for grins.  And after running "no disc" for so long on the Equinox, having the "bottom of the screen" (i.e. high FE targets) discriminated on the CTX, was surprisingly odd!  I did it that way for SO long, using FBS machines, but going back to that, after running no disc on the Equinox, was just really strange!  I forgot how running FBS machines that way, results in SO much "nulling" of the threshold, and I felt like as a result, I was really missing alot of information due to not being able to at least HEAR the iron targets (instead, just a "blank" in the threshold).  In areas with alot of iron, and thus the threshold blanked nearly continuously, I felt rather "blind," so to speak.  I had forgotten that particular nuance, of running FBS machines set up in that way, and it became clear very quickly that I MUCH prefer to "hear" the iron, as opposed to a threshold null.

SO, moral of the story, it will depend, for me, upon how "good" the audio is on the M-Core, as to how I set it up; I would MUCH prefer to "hear" the iron, which as I mentioned, I DO, on the Equinox.  BUT -- that was never an option on an Explorer, and with the CTX, the only way to do it is to run "combined mode" audio.  But, the problem there, and it's why I don't use that mode on the CTX, is that you CAN'T RUN "FULL" CONDUCTIVE TONES, if you select that mode.  Instead, you are limited to only four "tone bins" for your "conductive" targets, and that was a no-go.  I loved the idea that I could listen to the iron targets, BUT -- HATED the idea that in doing so, I was restricted to only four conductive-tone "bins."  Had they given me the option of the full 35 conductive tones, PLUS ferrous tones, that would have definitely been the way I would have run the CTX audio.  HOPEFULLY, we have an option like that, on the M-Core.

Steve

• Like 3

13 hours ago, fishersari said:

I'm wondering does any aftermarket bone conduction earphone can be use with manticore wirelessly.

At this point it seems (they have been vague so far, IMO) the built in wireless is proprietary.  They've also said any changes from now until release will be in software; hardware is done.  Maybe we'll be surprised and find out differently regarding the wireless system(s).

There are still options:  obviously included speaker and a 3.5 mm socket for attaching 'wired' headphones.  But a system like the Garrett Z-Lynk transmitter+receiver will allow user chosen headphones (although that particular system will require adapters since it's 1/4" plug&socket).  Quest may have a similar system that uses all 3.5 mm connectors -- don't know.

9 hours ago, steveg said:

As for the discrimination, I haven't seen any videos of the details of how the disc. screen will work, but it's not clear in my mind.

Did you watch this video linked by phrunt last week?  IMO that has the most complete explanation of Manticore settings.  Since I (like you) only listen to the full TID spectrum on the ML Equinox (custom 5 tone mode in my case) I don't pay much attention when Lawrie and others describe how to set up discrimination on the Manticore.  I also don't speak FBS.  😎  But maybe that video will give you a better idea of how the Manticore works (or not).

I've yet to see a clear explantion of where ferrous is on the discrimination scale.  There's the Dankowski claim that the detector reads TID's in the range -99 to +99 (or at least I think that's what others have reported him saying) and there is a red underline of dTID for some targets in videos (including the above one) which indicates a ferrous target, but I still don't know if that means you should mentally put a negative sign in front of the two digit TID.

GB -- thanks for the video link, I'll check it out.

Yes, NASA-Tom DID say that the ferrous runs down to -99.  BUT -- no idea how that is displayed.  Yes, there is a red underline, that seems to be "ferrous," so if you had a 44 underlined in red, I ASSUME that means -44.  BUT -- this could have been SO much easier if they would simply have gone with the two-digit, FE-CO numbering system.  

I have gotten the impression in the past, speaking to NASA-Tom about how much I would have liked to have seen an "FBS-like" FE-CO readout on the EQX, that he's not real hot on the idea, and didn't see what the big deal was.  Maybe I misread him, but that's the impression I got.  SO -- I wonder if MINELAB wasn't all that interested in going FE-CO either, but perhaps that so many of us SCREAMED for it, that they sort of "met us halfway in the middle."  After all, it seems pretty obvious that they are CALCULATING FE-CO, algorithmically, but for some reason it seems we will only be able to DISPLAY it via the 2-D screen (but not directly, i.e. digitally, in the VDI numerical readout).  Who knows...

Steve

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

NASA-Tom confirmed the Minelab wireless headphones are the only wireless option.  No wireless module or bluetooth compatibility.  Wired of course is an option.  Claims this is lower latency, clearer, and better for EMI.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I always thought the Equinox single frequency options ( 5/10/15/20/40k) were sub-optimal, so it's disappointing to see the same selection used on Mandingo.
The frequencies should ideally be a fixed ratio apart, and evenly spread over the full range.
So more correct values would be:
5 kHz / 8 kHz / 14 kHz / 24 kHz / 40 kHz
or
5k / 9k / 15k / 25k / 40k if you want 'rounder' numbers.
The relevant difference is the big gap from 20k to 40k is filled, and the too-small step from 15k to 20k is expanded. This may make the machine have a better nugget-shooting freq selection. Other differences are subtle; the choice of 8 kHz matches that of many high-medium conductor detectors, like the Tek Greek-series.
As Eqx/Mandingo can generate absolutely any freq in the range, there's always the option of more choices, in which case:
5k / 8k / 12k / 18k / 27k / 40k
would be good. Plus, being a premium product, Mandingo ought to have more choices than the Equinox.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Sumrtym said:

NASA-Tom confirmed the Minelab wireless headphones are the only wireless option.  No wireless module or bluetooth compatibility.  Wired of course is an option.  Claims this is lower latency, clearer, and better for EMI.

I can't understand that, the testing they submitted to the FCC is using Bluetooth LE.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=YwdXmpsuaYfdk%2FQl6JsBDw%3D%3D&fcc_id=Z4C-0049

Go to test report and have a snoop around.

Page 5 of 32 Report No. M2112039-7
This document shall not be reproduced except in full.
TEST CERTIFICATE
Device: Manticore Metal Detector
Model: Manticore
Manuf acturer: Minelab Electronics Pty Ltd
Radio: Bluetooth Low Energy (Nordic nRF5340)

I do believe Nasa Tom is confused, or what he said is being confused.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sumrtym said:

NASA-Tom confirmed the Minelab wireless headphones are the only wireless option.  No wireless module or bluetooth compatibility.

That's in conflict with what was posted today at about the same time as yours; specifically in question is your (general) statement of Bluetooth incompatibility: