New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

8 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

So does the original Deus. 

Chase and I own the Equinox, Legend and Deus 2. We know how good they really are. We aren’t likely to snap at you for taking a jovial swing at any of them. Others on this forum might however especially some Deus 2 high powered owners or people who are going nuts waiting for their beastie. So get ready to duck if you disparage Deus 2 or the Mantis.  

LOL.  Did you see my post where I ordered a Legend (The Lagard? Just Kidding) while I'm waiting for my Manti (Or is it the Mongoose now)?  I've been reading about your park hauls with it!!  I ordered the Pro Pack so I would have a machine with a small coil incase I find a place to search where I would need it.  I'll see how it goes.

I think you are in the Denver area.  I should send you the coordinates for that silver dime spill I found 40 years ago that I left some there.  Its probably gone by now though.

7 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I have detecting friends that are hard core Minelab users and they've been very successful on the FBS machines in full tones, especially when sifting through trash and locating deep turf silver other machines walked over.  When I got the Equinox I was coming from three and four tone detectors, but forced myself to use full tones.  It took a while, but it really helped to sniff out deep silver and relics at sites others have missed.  Would those same targets be heard in the lower tone modes?  Perhaps, but once your ears muscle memory reconciles what the full tones convey, I feel there's enough extra intel that make the struggle worth mastering.

Couldn't agree more. 

Steve

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JCR said:

Would that not be the Solstice?

(Veering OT here, but there has been XP Deus 2 discussion so maybe that makes going off on a tangent regarding the new ML detector's name OK.  😁)

You mean my tongue in cheek mention of needing the backlight from Autumnal Equinox until Vernal Equinox?  No.  Poles and equator are unique in having very different daylight vs. time-of-year than typical mid-latitudes (for example).  Summer solstice is max daylight everywere in the hemisphere.  Winter solstice is minimum everywhere in the appropriate hemisphere.  Equator has same amount of daylight every day of the year.  The poles have the weirdest solar path in the sky since it's always parallel to the horizon!  On the Summer Solstice the sun starts in the north at midnight and makes a complete lap always staying ~23.5 degrees (Earth's axis tilt with respect to its orbit) above the horizon.  The next day it does another lap, but about 1/4 of a degree lower.  On the Autumnal Equinox it's worked its way down to the horizon*.  It continues to descend further below the horizon by about 1/4 of degree until the Winter Solstice when it reaches its lowest orbit and then slowly, day by day, makes its return to the horizon on the Vernal Equinox and then on back up to max on the Summer Solstice.

*Because of the refraction of the earth's atmosphere, the sun will appear a bit above the horizon whenever it's geometrically right on the horizon, regardless of where you are on the earth's surface.  Also, each of these four special conditions (two Equinoxes and two Solstices) only lasts an instant, not an entire day.  So at the pole the Sun is only technically at its maximum altitude for that instant and is working its way towards max pre- and away from it post- Summer Solstice (instant).

I'll finish with a question to get back on topic:  why didn't Minelab call this new detector the 'Solstice'?  I'm sure no one would have ridiculed them for that....  🤔  (But they still would have been stealing the name from an automaker, this time the now defunct Pontiac.)

I see now.

I turned my backlight on.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

(Veering OT here, but there has been XP Deus 2 discussion so maybe that makes going off on a tangent regarding the new ML detector's name OK.  😁)

You mean my tongue in cheek mention of needing the backlight from Autumnal Equinox until Vernal Equinox?  No.  Poles and equator are unique in having very different daylight vs. time-of-year than typical mid-latitudes (for example).  Summer solstice is max daylight everywere in the hemisphere.  Winter solstice is minimum everywhere in the appropriate hemisphere.  Equator has same amount of daylight every day of the year.  The poles have the weirdest solar path in the sky since it's always parallel to the horizon!  On the Summer Solstice the sun starts in the north at midnight and makes a complete lap always staying ~23.5 degrees (Earth's axis tilt with respect to its orbit) above the horizon.  The next day it does another lap, but about 1/4 of a degree lower.  On the Autumnal Equinox it's worked its way down to the horizon*.  It continues to descend further below the horizon by about 1/4 of degree until the Winter Solstice when it reaches its lowest orbit and then slowly, day by day, makes its return to the horizon on the Vernal Equinox and then on back up to max on the Summer Solstice.

*Because of the refraction of the earth's atmosphere, the sun will appear a bit above the horizon whenever it's geometrically right on the horizon, regardless of where you are on the earth's surface.  Also, each of these four special conditions (two Equinoxes and two Solstices) only lasts an instant, not an entire day.  So at the pole the Sun is only technically at its maximum altitude for that instant and is working its way towards max pre- and away from it post- Summer Solstice (instant).

I'll finish with a question to get back on topic:  why didn't Minelab call this new detector the 'Solstice'?  I'm sure no one would have ridiculed them for that....  🤔  (But they still would have been stealing the name from an automaker, this time the now defunct Pontiac.)

So GB, are you thinking the Minelab Aurora would be a good choice ?  I like the Minelab Meteor, easier to pronounce and has a greater impact.   🙂

Rich - 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, UtahRich said:

So GB, are you thinking the Minelab Aurora would be a good choice ?  I like the Minelab Meteor, easier to pronounce and has a greater impact.   🙂

Rich - 

I think they wanted the name of a fierce creature to slay the competition just as the detector will.  LOL

9 hours ago, PSPR said:

I think they wanted the name of a fierce creature to slay the competition just as the detector will.  LOL

Likely so.  As for me, I'm not so interested in a detector that slays the competition but simply does what I want it to really well and is rugged enough to detect in the out-of-doors and in the water and not have any issues. I 'm one who dropped $$$$ and picked up a D2 early this year and really like its' capabilities but am not impressed by the mess of hunting with it in the shallow water. I'm speaking of the hokey pokey connection between the coil and controller for water hunting.  Rubber bands (o-rings) and plastic clips to hold things in place? And a controller that can be knocked off the search rod rather easily in my hunting conditions. Come on XP, you can do better than this for a "water detector".

Take the D2 and hardwire the coil/controller.  Fix the controller to the search rod so it can't get knocked off easily when in rugged terrain or fumbling with dive gear, keep the wireless headphones and waterproof connection for the bone conduction headphones.  boom. Deus 3 and I'm in.  Some will remind me that hardwiring the coil / controller ruins the ability to make multiple detectors out of 1.  To that, I say I don't want 2 detectors that can't do what i want, i just want 1 detector that can.

My 800 has been a fantastic detector for nearly 5 years.  So far I've not had any broken coil ears or water in the controller, but i do worry about both which is why i pulled the trigger on the D2. So, i parted with my D2 and am waiting to see if the Manticore can fill this spot. I think it will AND I think the Manticore will perform above the level my 800 has offered. Meanwhile, my 800 continues to do the same great job it has for a long time, nothing has changed there. 

Lastly, it is fun to watch the angst of everybody peeking behind the curtain to see if Santa Claus has arrived. 

UtahRich

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, UtahRich said:

......And a controller that can be knocked off the search rod rather easily in my hunting conditions. Come on XP, you can do better than this for a "water detector"........

I've heard people say putting a little clear silicone jell in the D2 slot that holds the Remote Control will keep it from falling off.  Just give it a day to setup after applying.

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I like Hugo