New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

it seems no manufacturer is immune to the most simple things being problems, they do amazing things with the hardware and software to make incredible metal detectors and then simple things make them look like fools.  I really don't get it. 

One of my worries when I purchased my 800 was that Minelab was trying to make 1 detector be too many things; coinshooter, beach hunter, relic hunter, gold prospector, shallow water hunter, and such. 

I'm actually surprised it turned out as great as it is.  Excellent in a few categories and very good in others. We know the shortcomings, but overall, really a great All-Round detector. 

Seems that everybody is trying to be the All-Rounder now. One detector to do everything. Is this our new norm? 

UtahRich - 

1 hour ago, PSPR said:

I noticed there are some Minelab specials with free coils, etc.  happening right now.  I was just wondering what if Minelab runs a Black Friday special on Manticore pre-orders.  Do we all cancel our existing Manticore order and place a new one with another dealer to get the discount or free extra coil or whatever or do we just call our existing dealer and ask for the special?

All that I saw was the CTX 3030 with a free coil.

1 hour ago, PSPR said:

I noticed there are some Minelab specials with free coils, etc.  happening right now.  I was just wondering what if Minelab runs a Black Friday special on Manticore pre-orders.  Do we all cancel our existing Manticore order and place a new one with another dealer to get the discount or free extra coil or whatever or do we just call our existing dealer and ask for the special?

My best medical advice is this - Don't Hold Your Breath.  😉  2028 is a long wait.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, UtahRich said:

Deus 3 and I'm in.

That's probably going to take another 10 years .. 🤣

I've been very close getting a Deus 2.. I guess its clever to wait, even if its hard ☺️
Up to now I'm not 100% convinced with neiter machine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sinclair said:

I've been very close getting a Deus 2.. I guess its clever to wait, even if its hard ☺️

I've been told that the Deus III will come with an automatic digger feature.  Just push a button and it will retrieve the target.  :ohmy:

I haven't followed this release too closely so I don't know which thread has the FCC info on the Manticore I gave you a while back @phrunt, but I just noticed ML has a new FCC filing again and this one appears to be the ML105 Headphones in specific and not just the BT chipset like the last link. Might answer some questions people had? No idea, wasn't following this release too closely, so maybe nothing new?

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=BrWK0ktA4y%2BLVMDeTuP8Xw%3D%3D&fcc_id=Z4C-ML105

Hopefully that link works. Lots of data on the ML105's in specific there for anyone curious.

I think these FCC filings are mostly for regulated frequencies like Wifi, BT, etc because some detectors which use previously tested BT systems seem to escape the FCC testing and go incognito. This Manticore not being one of them, since it has this new chipset I guess?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jason, you're good at keeping up with this FCC Stuff.

So the ML-105's are Chinese rebadged headphones again, from Qinlian Electron Limited, NO 233, Shizhou Road, Shipai Town, Dongguan city, Guangdong Province, China.   And the factory Dongguan Desheng Industrial Co., Ltd.

This means we'll likely be able to pick up extra sets off Aliexpress really cheap.

They're Bluetooth LE using GFSK 1Mbps and GFSK 2Mbps

Awesome, so now both the FCC submitted is Bluetooth LE for both the detector and headphones, looks promising 🙂

Thanks for the new info Jason.  Pretty happy about that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sinclair said:

My hunt buddy is an interesting fellow.   I've tried out a lot of detectors over the years, and he's seen which ones performed well and which ones did not.  He's been a hard core Explorer (XS and then 2) fan since I've known him, and I can't fault him for that as he's does great with it, even in the iron infested relic sites we love hunting.  He would routinely out hunt me when I was using my F75 LTD/LTD2, AT Pro, etc. a decade ago  But he really raised his eyebrows when I was heavily using the Racer/Racer2/Impact/Multi Kruzer as I was finally consistently keeping up, and even besting his finds (meaning total number of period conductors per hunt).  This continued and even improved when I started using the EQX800.  Still for some odd reason I couldn't get him off his Exp2.  The closest he came was when I orchestrated a group buy for the EQX800 (got them for $720 each when they were released!!!) he bought one, but he cashed in on the frenzy and dumped it on fleabay to make a quick buck when people were paying a premium over MSRP.   He talked himself out of it because in his mind it just couldn't perform in deep turf park hunting like an Exp2.  I know @stevegdispelled that, and had great success deep turf park hunting trashy parks.  Tom tried it a few times (believe he borrowed a couple) and did his best to talk himself out of getting one, despite all of his friends having great success with the Equinox he just couldn't break away from his trusty Dino2K Exp2. 

Fast forward to now, and even though he knows the Manticore is about to be released, he jumped on the XP D2 bandwagon and has one on order.  I asked him why on earth he didn't simply wait a couple of months to see how the Manticore shaked out, and he claimed one of his friends (that rarely even hunts anymore) go to the U.K. and that's the "cats meow" over there.  Okay, whatever, we don't hunt in the U.K. and I simply cannot fathom how a life long Explorer fanboy couldn't wait....now he wants to do all kinds of head to head tests when he gets his D2 and I get my Manticore....I think not 😏

• Like 3
  • Haha 4