New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

I just got off the beach with my Eq 800/15 and while listening to my targets, I realized how much more information comes in through the audio.  You hear it hop, skip and bong.  You get it to lock if it is good.  You look at the screen and it is limited to some jumping between IDs but you have to hear it to know what those IDs are really telling you.

The screen you show above would help someone without the ability to hear.  They could use the screen for targets.  I'm glad they are putting a 3030 screen on this one.  This makes the Manticore more than an Equinox upgrade.

• Like 1

Simon said too many tones are not good for him.  I hope the screen resolution is good enough to 'show the tones' which will help separate/discriminate targets.  Once you learn the machine and the same pattern appears on the screen again and again then you have confidence of what it is.

Users have always had negative comments about Minelab's depth scales.  I've found them helpful but I wonder how well this depth scale will work.

• Like 1

yep, I really struggle with 50 tones, DP on my T2 which is full tones had me sitting inside taking headache tablets when I gave it a go. 

I'm a 5 tones kinda person 🙂 I guess you could call me a target ID hunter, as I rely on them the most except for gold which is mostly dig it all.  I don't think I'm very good at finding coins at all, I'm just lucky to be in a place where it's easy with little to no competition and detectors that can by and large identify my deep coins very well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Clad coins make a sophisticated detector go nuts because of the sandwich effect.  The detector sees the types of metals and sounds off on each.  Now our corroded pennies make combinations and surfaces that defeat easy identification or maybe the 5 tones are better because the 'average' sound can amount to a dime, nickel, penny or quarter like the old White's detector with a pointer on a scale to the likely target with subheadings for other relics.

Most of these Manticores are going to be used at previously worked sites, so much of the trash has been removed unless someone knows a specific site where the trash has been saved.

• Like 1

I stuck with 50 tones till last spring.  Couldn't take it after a long winter and switched to 5.  I always did suck at detecting!  At first i worked 6 days a week and now I'm lucky to last 2 hours.   

14 hours ago, deathray said:

Lol. I remember when he wouldn't give up his Whites Eagle for the explorer, until Ron totally kicked his butt in a bay area park. Hey man, he's KILLER with that explorer 2 now, if it works, it works. Something to be said about knowing a detector like the back of your hand.

One guy( who Tom knows from decades ago) that I hunt with, still uses a Whites 6000, and KILLS it.

That's exactly what he said, Ron changed his mind when he was a White's fan.  No doubt about it, he does well with the Exp2, but it's getting harder to get parts for, a few of his got "splashed" while beach hunting and met their demise, but he keeps finding replacements on craigslist and ebay.  We'll see how he does with the D2. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

yep, I really struggle with 50 tones, DP on my T2 which is full tones had me sitting inside taking headache tablets when I gave it a go. 

I'm a 5 tones kinda person 🙂 I guess you could call me a target ID hunter, as I rely on them the most except for gold which is mostly dig it all.  I don't think I'm very good at finding coins at all, I'm just lucky to be in a place where it's easy with little to no competition and detectors that can by and large identify my deep coins very well.

I couldn't handle DP on the F75, mostly because it was so digital and artificial sounding, that it was very  unpleasant to the hears.  The few that mastered it did okay with it, but it's just not the same as Minelabs full tone analog like audio where there's no mistaking that deep silver tinkle you get on a deep silver coin.  You just didn't get that on the FTP machines DP audio.  At the end of the day, use what works for you, we all process audio data differently.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Clad coins make a sophisticated detector go nuts because of the sandwich effect.  The detector sees the types of metals and sounds off on each.  Now our corroded pennies make combinations and surfaces that defeat easy identification or maybe the 5 tones are better because the 'average' sound can amount to a dime, nickel, penny or quarter like the old White's detector with a pointer on a scale to the likely target with subheadings for other relics.

Most of these Manticores are going to be used at previously worked sites, so much of the trash has been removed unless someone knows a specific site where the trash has been saved.

I have never heard this " sandwich effect". What detector are you referring too? I use a D1, run full tones, never had a problem with clad, except that digging clad IS the problem, ha.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 10:51 PM, steveg said:

I'm guessing that's EXACTLY what Minelab did...i.e. tease the Manticore release so that some folks "on the fence" might hold onto their 1.5K for a little while...

On 11/15/2022 at 11:55 PM, phrunt said:

It's certainly looking like that's what Minelab have done announce it when it's not even near ready,...

While that is likely part of it, there are others reasons that probably accompany this.  One of them is the optimistic path -- if all the cards fall into place when they're supposed to...  Anyone who has ever built anything from scratch has experienced this -- things almost never go as planned if you don't build in some buffer time, and even then the deadline is missed sometimes.  (This has happened to me, oh, a couple dozen times in my career, and that was probably >90% occurrence.)  Are they lying when they announce the most optimistic case, but don't reveal this qualification?  (Remember, we're talking about marketers who in general, it appears, have slightly different code of ethics than some.)

Another question to ask is: "what does 'release' mean?"  First products sent from the factory?  They still have to reach dealers/middlemen and then the end user.  If you recall when the Nokta Legend started coming out of the factory, they were initially shipping a few units by (expensive) air carriers to get them to their few select testers/promoters.  It took a while (don't remember exactly how long) before the paying customers had them in their hands.  I think the Deus 2 release may have been similar.

November is halfway over and unless something is announced soon, it appears the optimistic path once again has had some muddy spots that have slowed the wagon train.  Hopefully not a mudslide, though.  😏

• Like 2