New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

I suspect the majority of Minelab customers are in Europe and North America.  If that is the case, planning an early winter release for a new outdoor product is insane.  "By Christmas" was a scam on us customers to manipulate us into not buying something else.

But, there is that dealer in Australia that told customers that he was sending in orders to Minlab and told "His" release was going to be at the end of November with shipment arriving to customers by December 15th.  I'm tempted to email him again and see if that is still his expectation.

Here's an annual report from 21 to give you a bit of an idea of their footprint.  The world doesn't revolve around North America, nor Europe and now they can't include Russia as they were historically the big part of the Europe market, not so now with Sanctions.  Australia is a tiny population compared to North America yet has half the sales of such a large population.

codan 21.jpg

Africa is King! Gold Detectors have been where the money is, The Nox was really their defining point of the coin and jewellery market because of it's performance to price ratio, and the Manticore is following on from that but with a much smaller uptake than the Nox due to the price, more CTX style pricing really so far less buyers.  After the first few months when the flurry of Manticores will sell once it settles down the Nox will probably continue to outsell the Manticore in the future, largely due to price.  Is the Manticore's performance worth than much more than the Nox? Time will tell.  As for build quality other than the annoyance it doesn't overly matter when buying new, you get it replaced anyway for 3 years.

That sort of blows my theory out of the water, phrunt without a breakdown of hobby detectors vs gold detectors.  I did, just now, send an email to that Australian dealer to see if he is still singing the same tune.  I assume I won't hear anything until tomorrow U.S. time since it is night there now (as you know).

Nope, its the start of the day here 🙂 I just woke up.  The breakdown would be a large % in gold countries like Australia and especially Africa being prospecting detectors, in the US and Europe coin detectors excluding Russia where Gold detectors would be the big one.   I'm guessing North America it would be coin detectors being the dominant one.

Minelab have said their focus is expanding their coin and jewellery detector market share in recent years and that's really taken place with the Nox.

14 hours ago, deathray said:

I have never heard this " sandwich effect". What detector are you referring too? I use a D1, run full tones, never had a problem with clad, except that digging clad IS the problem, ha.

When I run across a copper penny, even in the surf it sounds different.  It also has a different ID number most of the time.  Lately quarters give a high pitch and some low tones before and during the digging process.

The pennies I dug last night in the surf went from 5-23 on the 800/15 ID scale.  These shield coins are bubbling and flaking apart.  Many of them are not complete coins any more.

The more copper and other metals in gold rings change the numbers.

Nickels are the most reliable metal/coin at 13.  All other things pale in comparison but somehow I think that there is more to a nickel these days than just the nickel metal.  It seems all modern and old nickels are 13.

So you are just referring to I'd numbers. Get what you mean now, although I could not tell you what ANY numbers are on the Deus. I always keep that remote in my pocket, just dig anything above square nail.

• Like 1

This effect (clad dimes, quarters, etc. and zinc and copper pennies giving grossly mixed ID's) must have something to do with being in the saltwater.  It doesn't happen with coins in the ground -- my ground anyway.  Zincolns get eaten up which lowers the dTID, but who wants those trash targets?  😁

10 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Nickels are the most reliable metal/coin at 13.  All other things pale in comparison but somehow I think that there is more to a nickel these days than just the nickel metal.  It seems all modern and old nickels are 13.

The nickel composition of USA 5-cent pieces has been uniform (except WWII silver content version) since it was introduced in 1866 -- 25% Ni and 75% Cu.  Same is true for the nickel 3-cent piece (1865-89).  Also the clad layers on modern dimes and higher denominations have this composition.

The Flying Eagle cents and earliest Indian Head cents are 12% Ni, 88% Cu.

In the Eastern USA, acid in the soil -- particularly from decaying leaves -- is hard on high copper content coins including our 5-cent pieces.  I think in the dry regions such as much of the inter-mountain West the lack of a water intermediary lessens this impact, although again the salt may get involved with the occasional moisture?  Cal_Cobra (among others) has mentioned many times what (acidic) cattle urine has done to many coins -- much worse than other 'natural' processes.

One last comment.  (Do I get carried away explaining how a watch works when someone asks the time?  🤔).  About 3 years ago I reported on a strange disc I found in a pond.  It took may a day or so and some thinking and research but I realized it was the copper core of a clad quarter.  The cladding was completely gone!  The super concentrated (relative to nature) acidity of the pondwater which was loaded with decayed leaf remnants had eaten all the 25%Cu 75% Ni surfaces away.  And they are not that thin -- each layer is 16.7% of the coin's weight and thickness with a pure copper core being the remaining 66.7%.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2022 at 1:12 PM, NAGANT said:

Diggers den did a youtube teaser about manticore training at an old church.  No manticore swinging thou, just weed eaters.

I thought that video was funny.  All that about searching the old church and then they were just mowing the over gown lawn for them.  Presumably so they could detect the grounds at a later date when the Manti is finally released..  I noticed they were wearing snake gaiters while mowing.  There must be really nasty snakes in the tall grass even in the city in Australia.