New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

I just bought a Fisher F-probe for the range.  It will react to a quarter about 5 inches away and you can detune it or lower the range for a regular target search in the hole.  You can't find the whites probes anymore.

Regarding the announcement, do you really think Minelab would make an announcement about an announcement for something less anticipated than the Manticore?  I doubt it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

If it's a GPZ 8000 I don't want it, chips in coils is a given and I'd be very surprised if it is significantly better than a 7000 with aftermarket coils fitted.  If it is it wouldn't be $10,000 or more better 🙂

Really? That seems a bit early to make that kind of call.

It's been almost 7 years. I'm pretty curious myself to see exactly what they have been doing. I've read enough patents to know it can't just be throwing a few better designed concentric coils on an old 7000. They have some pretty interesting stuff in the patent pipeline from new coil designs to discrim to better signal processing (ground and EMI).

I've said for a while I got one more ultra expensive detector in me. I'm pretty curious what the next one is myself. I have a feeling in another 7 years I will have moved past wanting to spend any major time specifically detecting for nuggets and onto more commercial ventures. So I'm hoping this is both a new Z and an impressive one at that. It's about time, we've been waiting forever.

• Like 1

Manticore = Multi IQ 2?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jasong said:

It's been almost 7 years. I'm pretty curious myself to see exactly what they have been doing. I've read enough patents to know it can't just be throwing a few better designed concentric coils on an old 7000. They have some pretty interesting stuff in the patent pipeline from new coil designs to discrim to better signal processing (ground and EMI).

They'll probably make it fully automatic to better suit the African market and call it Geosense 2.  Yes, they can improve the usability and ergonomics of the GPZ, put the latest Bluetooth on it and just modernize it really, lighten it up a bit although with the DOD coils no matter what they're still going to carry some weight with that copper wire in them compared to a basic mono like the 6000 has. 

I just can't see them improving performance enough for me to justify another very expensive detector that's not going to find me much gold that I would miss with my current one.    The 6000 was a bit like that, more of a sideways step if not slightly backwards for the small gold I look for in my soil type.  I just can't justify paying another 10 grand to get a detector with a limited range of coils compared to my current one and no real major performance increase. 

If I lived in Western Australia somewhere and was regularly out finding decent gold my opinion maybe vastly different but where I am a different detector is unlikely to find me much more than I already do with what I've got and for me the weight of the GPZ is a non-issue so I just don't care about it being lighter, it also with a concentric coil handles the EMI around here near perfectly, and that to me is a most important factor as I can use it everywhere without a worry in the world.

1 hour ago, jasong said:

They'll probably make it fully automatic to better suit the African market and call it Geosense 2 with ZVT.  Yes, they can improve the usability and ergonomics of the GPZ, put the latest Bluetooth on it and just modernize it really, lighten it up a bit although with the DOD coils no matter what they're still going to carry some weight with that copper wire in them compared to a basic mono like the 6000 has. 

I just can't see them improving performance enough for me to justify another very expensive detector that's not going to find me much gold that I would miss with my current detectors.    The 6000 was a bit like that, more of a sideways step if not slightly backwards for the small gold I look for in my soil type.  I just can't justify paying another 10 grand to get a detector with a limited range of coils compared to my current one and no real major performance increase. 

If I lived in Western Australia somewhere and was regularly out finding decent gold my opinion maybe vastly different but where I am a different detector is unlikely to find me much more than I already do with what I've got and for me the weight of the GPZ is a non-issue so I just don't care about it being lighter, Using it with a concentric coil handles the EMI around here near perfectly, and that to me is a most important factor as I can use it everywhere without a worry in the world.  I'm at the point where I am satisfied and happy with my gear.

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

If it's a GPZ 8000 I don't want it, chips in coils is a given and I'd be very surprised if it is significantly better than a 7000 with aftermarket coils fitted.

I will reserve judgement and first wait what the new GPZ actually has to offer, before making any decisions about a potential purchase. I noticed on other forums that new ML detectors are being bashed without even knowing anything about them, leave alone having seen any pictures, specs, or knowing anything really that would allow good judgment. Seems to be a big and persistent trend.

GC

Right basstrackerman.

The date is made from the skin of a Manticore.
Better the Second Time Around refers to the improved Multi-IQ.
Good things come in twos refers to the Equinox at $800 and the Manticore at $1600.

It can be none other than the Manticore release.

1 hour ago, Gold Catcher said:

I will reserve judgement and first wait what the new GPZ actually has to offer, before making any decisions about a potential purchase.

I just don't need anymore detectors after the Manticore, I'm just happy with my current detectors.  I'm certainly not bashing the GPZ 8000, I just don't want to buy another $10,000 detector, slightly beneficial or not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, PSPR said:

For Americans, that date is December 1, 2022, not January 12.  Along with this non-descript video they stated,

"On 1.12.22 you’ll find out why it’s better the second time around."

No mention of the Manticore and unsure what they are referring to as the second time around unless they are comparing it to the Nox.

Anyway, we can probably take this as a December 1st release of the Manticore.

Yeeeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

2nd (and real 'shipping') release of M-core....

• Like 1