New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

Minelab's announcement of an announcement has certainly accomplished their goal - Make it vague and confusing enough to get everyone talking about Minelab products.

I'm not fond of Minelab's marketing tactics.  It feels like a big game to them and I really don't want to play anymore.

• Like 2

Just now, PSPR said:

Minelab's announcement of an announcement has certainly accomplished their goal - Make it vague and confusing enough to get everyone talking about Minelab products.

I'm not fond of Minelab's marketing tactics.  It feels like a big game to them and I really don't want to play anymore.

Agreed. Hence why I decided to not post much about new products from Minelab, since everything is speculation. We know nothing about the Manticore even after watching some of the worst videos about it 😄 I rather just buy it and find out for myself. But that's just me. Kind of tired too with the hype, lack of information, and drawn out releases -  from all companies.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Agreed. Hence why I decided to not post much about new products from Minelab, since everything is speculation. We know nothing about the Manticore even after watching some of the worst videos about it 😄 I rather just buy it and find out for myself. But that's just me. Kind of tired too with the hype, lack of information, and drawn out releases -  from all companies.

I'm sure they read the posts on the 4 or 5 MD forums that still exist and it must make them laugh profusely to watch all of us chase our tails as they string us along.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I stopped watching other forums and stay here because of the people here. Way less drama. 😄 Even though we overly greatly focus on a new arrival, the threads do have some good value. Not much gets by the people here when it comes to new information. For that I am grateful. But the reality of how machines are released (or not released - as in the AQ debacle), I'm coming to grow weary of over sensitizing myself to the hype. I don't need anymore stress than I already have. 😆 As soon as I get mine I will post a little about it. As for what I can gather from the machine, I will probably be selling my Nox and CTX. The E Trac stays unless the Manticore scores deep silver better. Gotta love this forum for the knowledge that is available here.

I've got to agree with you about this forum.  There are a lot of mature, knowledgeable people here.  I appreciate the knowledge and insight they provide.  Alas, I am probably the least mature of the lot here.  Quite a feat for an old man.  :biggrin: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The announcements of an impending announcement are a bit much. We going to get announcements of announcements of announcements next?

It'd be great if we just got 1 announcement of the actual machine, 2 weeks before shipping. But it's game these days I guess. I've learned a long time ago it's useless to try to tear down a brick wall by beating my own head against it. 😄

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

People may have noticed I have largely stayed out of this. I'm well over all the hype, and totally agree with Jason. We are literally announcing announcements now. :mellow:

People are self hyping themselves to death over this, with various interests more than happy to fan the flames. It's totally new? No, it's the next logical iteration I would expect as a followup to the Equinox. Totally new or iteration is just how you look at things. If it has just one thing different some people want it to be totally new, nothing ever made like it ever before. That's what feeds the hype machine - oh my gosh, it's super duper really new magical technology!!!!! One generation ,no, two generational leap to the moon technology!!!!!!!! But anyone who has an Equinox and gets a Manticore will find out real fast it's just the next step. Take an Equinox, listen to the feedback for four years, fix the issues, improve what you can, all with an eye to filling the now vacant $1500 E-TRAC price slot = Manticore. The Equinox took everything to the next level, and squeezing anymore performance out with newer models is at the point of diminishing returns. It may not be what people want to hear, but mark my words and remember them later when the dust settles.... this is Equinox Mark 2. I'm not saying that to belittle it. Just the opposite. The Equinox took us all to a new level, and Manticore takes everything Minelab learned from that, and makes it better across the board. About the only thing I'm unsure about is how water hunters will like that new coil with the added superstructure - not going to cut water like the Nox 11". But other than that, this is the perfect machine for somebody that loves the Nox, but wants more.

Be nice if they took some of the improvements made with Manticore, and used them to refresh the Equinox with an update also. :wink:

I really like and enjoy working with the engineers at Minelab, but their marketing people seem to keep getting farther and farther from what I want to see as a down to earth detectorist. Everything about the Manticore release puts me off, with the exception of them letting Mark loose to blab away. That part is fun and informative, as the engineers are usually kept under lock and key. But all this other stuff, even the name.... not turning me on at all. I do miss Bill Stirling and the days when marketing was driven by tech papers and actual detecting experts. Now it's all Chicago style flash, no substance. Except for Mark. I can only appreciate how hard it is for a nerdy engineer type to stand in front of crowds like he has been doing - good on him. :smile:

Anyway, people are desperate for information, and love to discuss, and that's good, as that's what a forum runs on. I do want to thank people here for having sane and rational discussions. It means I can be off doing other things and not worry some sort of fight will brew up. That is something else to be thankful for today. Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm waiting for the reviews. Too much market build-up will set-up a letdown. I noticed if someone comments on the Manticore, the flood gates open to many speculations. I just bought an 8lb. jug of Orville Redenbacher's and awaiting the next go-around. Never a dull moment on DP! Gotta' love it.

• Haha 1

The Nox is that good I can justify paying double the price (which the Manticore is here) for an improved more reliable version of it.  The big jump was always going to be the Nox, and the Manticore just being further refined.  I really like Target Trace on my CTX so a bonus having a similar thing on the new Nox.

They have shown a lot of confidence in Multi-IQ making a new model using it already when the FBS2 CTX is far older and the one you would think would be due for replacement especially being the top of the line.

While I don't expect miracles out of the Manticore I'll be satisfied with just a better quality Nox with a few extra bells and whistles and perhaps if I'm lucky a bit of a performance boost.  My initial disappointment is the lack of the little 6" coil though so I doubt I can retire my Nox.

This morning Minelab sent me a spam email with the same good things come in twos obscure marketing.

Where it says "its better the second time around" that really makes me think of the Nox ver2.

That is a trap. Marketing trap. You need to buy and you are only prisoner of that. What they show… new headphones or swing harness?