New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

There is a new video out this morning on the Manticore.  It is mostly Mark Lawrey in France with a dealer and the dealer is translating/explaining the settings in French.  You can turn on closed captions and set it to English if you want to follow along with the French guy.

What is interesting in this video is that they take the Manticore into a field and test it on some coins dropped on the ground.  But, at about the 17 minute mark, when they drop a coin and, I believe, an iron nail about 3" apart, the Manticore DOES NOT display it as two targets.  Instead it shows just one elongated target on the Target Trace.

I don't know if this is an old video from the European tour or if they sent Lawrey back to Europe for this video or something else.

2 hours ago, PSPR said:

There is a new video out this morning on the Manticore.  It is mostly Mark Lawrey in France with a dealer and the dealer is translating/explaining the settings in French.  You can turn on closed captions and set it to English if you want to follow along with the French guy.

What is interesting in this video is that they take the Manticore into a field and test it on some coins dropped on the ground.  But, at about the 17 minute mark, when they drop a coin and, I believe, an iron nail about 3" apart, the Manticore DOES NOT display it as two targets.  Instead it shows just one elongated target on the Target Trace.

I don't know if this is an old video from the European tour or if they sent Lawrey back to Europe for this video or something else.

Given how they are dressed and the condition of the vegetation, I'd guess this was done in September during the European Tour.  (And why would they send Lawrie back now with nothing new to say?)

Regarding the outside tests with targets at the surface, that part is confusing to me because of editing and also because I don't understand French nor do I know how to convert French Closed Caption subtitles into English.  But note that before they put down a coin near the nail, the detector is silent while swung over the nail.  (Notching apparently has been applied.)  Does notching vs. no notching affect the target trace reporting?  IDK.

As usual, the high specular reflectivity of the screen combined with the angle of the camera with respect to the screen make it difficult to view the screen in videos.  Local knowledge (e.g. forum members here from France) may be able to add some more interpretation but I still don't think there is much of anything new here compared to the many videos posted back in September.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

But note that before they put down a coin near the nail, the detector is silent while swung over the nail.  (Notching apparently has been applied.)  Does notching vs. no notching affect the target trace reporting?  IDK.

From what I understand, the Target Trace shows all targets regardless of the notching.  However, the notching creates gray areas in the Target Trace which silences the detector but the TT image is still there.

• Like 2

There was a comment early right at 3 minute 45 seconds that kind of baffled me. Mr. Lawrey said something to the effect that the coil was strengthened because the Manticore puts more power in the ground. Does this mean it has a different type of winding or heavier/more windings than the Equinox coil?.

12 minutes ago, longbow62 said:

There was a comment early right at 3 minute 45 seconds that kind of baffled me. Mr. Lawrey said something to the effect that the coil was strengthened because the Manticore puts more power in the ground. Does this mean it has a different type of winding or heavier/more windings than the Equinox coil?.

I don't know if they increased or changed the DD windings but they said in other videos that they reinforced the coil so when you bump it the ID numbers and sounds don't start jumping around like they do with some other detectors.  Maybe the additional power of the Manticore made it more susceptible to bumping and that is also why they reinforced the coil.

• Like 1

Yes, NAGANT, that video does show good target separation.  I don't understand why the French video instead just showed an elongated coin signal.  Maybe I just couldn't see the screen well enough in that video as GB_Amature said.  But we'll be able to test that ourselves soon.

In that video, NAGANT, at about the 18 minute mark Debbie shows the General settings and there is a setting to reject trash.  The icon for that is a pull tab.  I'm wondering how that is going to work.  Is it going to reject just about all gold, too?  Or have they narrowed the aluminum reject to be selective enough to let most gold items in?  I'm very interested in the Manticore ability with that.

Yesterday I was at a tot lot with the Legend and I pulled a bag full of aluminum foil and pull tabs out of that lot.  I would have preferred to be able to pass over much of that, if possible without great jewelry loss.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PSPR said:

Or have they narrowed the aluminum reject to be selective enough to let most gold items in?  I'm very interested in the Manticore ability with that.

Yesterday I was at a tot lot with the Legend and I pulled a bag full of aluminum foil and pull tabs out of that lot.  I would have preferred to be able to pass over much of that, if possible without great jewelry loss.

PSPR -- this is NOT going to happen.  Sorry to be a bearer of bad news.  Bottom line, any gold, that gives the same VDI as a pull tab or ring tab, CANNOT be "detected" while the aluminum is discriminated out.  If you notch out a VDI number, you will notch out ANYTHING that registers that VDI number, whether it is gold, or aluminum.  

Steve

• Like 8

22 hours ago, NAGANT said:

This video does show multiple targets on the screen.  

When they went through the menu and showed the number of tones, I only saw 1 to 5 tones. No full tones? WTF?

• Like 1