New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

7 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I have always turned up the low tones (ferrous) on the Equinox presets so that I can hear those deep targets that started out as ferrous. 

Hope to God you West Coast boys are right, onea these days those nails that come up -5 a foot or more down on the beach will be a ring. 😀 Until then I curse every nail I dig. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, F350Platinum said:

Hope to God you West Coast boys are right, onea these days those nails that come up -5 a foot or more down on the beach will be a ring. 😀 Until then I curse every nail I dig. 

We are right often enough to dig everything on our beaches and we even like it when it gets deeper than 6 inches.  I notice this happens here with nickels also but it is more jumpy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

people will upgrade from Equinox to Manticore, and I bet very few go back.

What do you think they can do to improve nugget hunting?  You obviously told them everything they need to know when you were working on the Equinox.  I hope they referred to it in this development.

On another note ... does this mean there will no longer be any Equinox updates?  haha

Is it better at elevating targets out of the ground like the Vanquish ads had?

• Haha 5

44 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

What do you think they can do to improve nugget hunting?  You obviously told them everything they need to know when you were working on the Equinox.  I hope they referred to it in this development.

On another note ... does this mean there will no longer be any Equinox updates?  haha

I don’t think the Manticore is aimed at prospectors at all. I’ll be more interested in a Multi-IQ replacement for the Gold Monster one of these days. For gold prospecting, an obvious personal interest, I’m content to stick with my Equinox. And will. That said, any high end detector made these days can serve pretty well for gold nugget prospecting. It’s not like the old days when multipurpose machines were useless for the task, and I am sure the Manticore will do fine, if anyone gets one, and wants to look for nuggets with it.

I don’t expect any more Equinox updates. Not saying they can’t happen, but the train has moved on, and the Nox is far in the rear view mirror now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In terms of the 50% increase in power, I don’t read into that as resulting in a truly substantial, rather than minor or incremental, increase in depth over equinox. In the words of Dave Johnson “Getting extra depth out of a VLF, multifrequency, or PI machine is very difficult, because these machines follow an inverse 6th power law relationship between signal voltage and depth. If everything else is maintained equal, doubling the depth requires 64 times as much signal. If this is done by increasing transmitter power, doubling depth requires 4,096 times as much battery drain. That’s the basic reason why depth increases come so slowly in this industry.” We also have to consider that some of that extra power will be sucked up by the new dynamic screen. That aside, from what I’ve seen so far this looks like what I’ve been hoping for from Minelab. I’m all in and can’t wait to get my hands on it. Glad I saved my pennies. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

They said 50% increase over “traditional detectors.” That could mean a $149 Bounty Hunter detector. You guys really need to wise up to marketing tricks. :smile:

Either way, Mark Laurie has also definitely stated that it is pushing more power than the Equinox as well. I just don’t expect that to make a significant difference whether it’s 5% or 50% because of the inverse 6th power law, unless they’ve also made significant strides in EMI and ground mitigation. 

• Like 2

Yay! Gold Modes and depth increases in mild ground 😛

It just keeps getting better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1