New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

On 8/31/2022 at 4:38 PM, schoolofhardNox said:

Why not just put a black sock over it for when you hunt at night? Set the light to it's lowest setting and then cover the screen up.  Or make a black piece of plastic that you can just put over the display. You can use rubber bands or Velcro to keep it in place. I would never not buy a machine for something I can solve to my liking fairly easily.

I had a machine that you couldn't disable the screen back-light, only reduce it, yet it was still blinding in areas without ambient light.  I used some red gel screen (like they use to cover studio lighting) over the screen and it worked like a charm.  Basically similar to how the military ops does night lighting so your eyes are not blown out by the white light, and unless you're standing in front of the detector the screen isn't visible from afar.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

No doubt there is some level of transmit power boost under some mode settings but I suspect there is also a lot of powerful stuff under the signal processing hood as well.

In the Dutch video from Monday, Lawrie talks a bit about increased juice to the processing side.  Pretty sure that's in the last 10 minutes.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

I thought the same.  Then I thought humm they just transferred that ear breaking to us having to buy lower shafts. Hopefully it not a stiff build… because water guys tend to use the machine to balance themselves in ruff water.   One of the reasons I run in AM in the water is because I’m just looking for target … once found then I have to determine… is it something to dig.  I don’t run disc because things change… the salt, very tiny concentrations of metal, hard pan and black sand and EMI.  Some try to just disc it out rather than adjust the settings.

Would you rather break a $50 lower shaft or a $400 coil?

2 hours ago, King-Of-Bling said:

All this talk about power is really just that : talk , until it's out and we get to use it. But a full charge takes 7 hours in this day and age ? That is disgusting. Call me ridiculous , paranoid or whack. Here's all I know. In California , our great governor in this crazy heat has told us to not charge our EVs and 1 week prior said in the next decade no more new gas vehicles will be produced or sold. Also to turn up our thermostats as in don't run the A/C because it will cripple the power grid and cause blackouts. More insanity from these people. And all I can think of is why no one has made a solar powered detector yet. Lol

Not that California politics have anything to do with this thread (or any others on this forum for that matter) BUT I suspect that 2035 California EV only mandate (for new vehicles only, you're old fossil fuel beater cars will continue sucking down petro after 2035) will change unless they start building nuclear power plants NOW.

You can get screen protectors that block out viewing from an angle to stop people seeing your phone screen, one of these might make the detectors light not so obvious if you can only turn the backlight right down and not off.

Plugging a Nox coil into the Mantusor would blow the security chip in the coil as the chip would be getting an unexpected voltage 😉

I don't know why this 50% more power to the coil is such a big debate, Whites did 54% more with the 24k over their previous model, yes the 24k is a great detector but it didn't change anything dramatic by doing so that I can see so we are probably not going to notice any dramatic difference by doing so, it sure sounds good for marketing though.  It might squeeze a little more depth, or give a bit better ID at depth.  I correlate the extra power to the sensitivity, rightly or wrongly I would guess having your sensitivity on low uses less power and on high gives more, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems like to me the 50% extra power will be most used in the higher sensitivity settings from 20 to 35 over the Nox and when he did max out the sensitivity in one video the detector went absolutely nuts so he had to wind it back quickly.   Maybe they're providing what some of us want a detector that has the power there for the odd situation you can use it.  I wish the GPZ had more sensitivity settings, it stops at 20 and at 20 in my soils it runs perfectly, no response from the ground, EMI isn't an issue at all and the threshold is tolerable, if I could pump it up to 25 I would where as some people say they can't run 20 as their soil reaction is too bad so they have to wind it back quite a bit.

So are there videos of it in the water with the screen about a foot down?   Wondering how they set it up, how it moved (Tom already said those fins displace more water) and how much water comes out of that speaker?  I’ve always plugged those.  

that cuff had best be good because it’s not likely an aftermarket one will be out soon.  So with a sliding cuff and no screws/button spring clip…. The end of that shaft could have been used for a cheaper larger battery that doesn’t take but a few hours to charge.

that extra power could come in handy in the water here in Fl.  Once the coil hits the salt water it more about the saline than EMI.

7 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Yes the Equinox coils are incompatible because if someone did figure out a way to connect them to the MC, they'd blow out from the amped up power.

Cal,  I know this is a somewhat tongue in cheek sensationalist statement, but Tom D as an engineer should know that from an engineering fundamentals standpoint regarding a coil (not talking the interface chip), this is just a ridiculous take and also what’s the point of making it?  Was he trying the explain away ML’s propensity to not provide cross platform coil compatibility or were we supposed to be impressed from the imagined visual of Nox coils exploding when they are connected to the M-core’s 2.4 gigawatt flux capacitor?

As someone who also “enjoys the technology behind all this” because I am an electrical engineer and a detectorist, I CAN say ludicrous statements like this are literally blowing smoke and NOT moving the ball forward.  Tom D should know better.  I’m not worried about you drinking the M-core Kool Aid (it should be a great evolutionary step up from Equinox - I’m liking what I’m seeing as ML feeds us more info), but definitely watch out for whatever Tom is spiking that Kool Aid with.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Cal,  I know this is a somewhat tongue in cheek sensationalist statement, but Tom D as an engineer should know that from an engineering fundamentals standpoint regarding a coil (not talking the interface chip), this is just a ridiculous take and also what’s the point of making it?  Was he trying the explain away ML’s propensity to not provide cross platform coil compatibility or were we supposed to be impressed from the imagined visual of Nox coils exploding when they are connected to the M-core’s 2.4 gigawatt flux capacitor?

As someone who also “enjoys the technology behind all this” because I am an electrical engineer and a detectorist, I CAN say ludicrous statements like this are literally blowing smoke and NOT moving the ball forward.  Tom D should know better.  I’m not worried about you drinking the M-core Kool Aid (it should be a great evolutionary step up from Equinox - I’m liking what I’m seeing as ML feeds us more info), but definitely watch out for whatever Tom is spiking that Kool Aid with.  :rolleyes:

I actually thought about that as well.  I don't know about making that claim as a cover to keep the coils proprietary, I have more faith in Tom then that, but I agree it does seem sensationalized.  Perhaps the increased amperage could simply damage the internal coil circuitry?  It will certainly be interesting to see a MC dissected as we've seen with other detectors in the past.

Spiked Kool Aid conjures up bad memories of college parties gone amok 🤮

• Like 1

16 hours ago, vive equinox said:

So you confirm that we can't run with light off?

come on, I can't see myself buying a 2000 bucks detector and having to stick Velcro which will dirty the screen and take water and sand

a black sock, why not but that adds a detail to think about and to be able to touch the settings you would have to put it on halfway, not even sure that it holds all the hunting and that it completely hides the light.

this is not a golf driver we are talking about

moreover, completely turning off the lights can be useful for those who want to save a little battery

I remain perplexed that minelab did not think of a 0 for the adjustment of the lights🤔

No one said you had to take anyone's advice that's posted. You are complaining about something you think is true without even knowing if it is fact. Why not just ask Minelab?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I had a machine that you couldn't disable the screen back-light, only reduce it, yet it was still blinding in areas without ambient light.  I used some red gel screen (like they use to cover studio lighting) over the screen and it worked like a charm.  Basically similar to how the military ops does night lighting so your eyes are blown out by the white light, and unless you're standing in front of the detector the screen isn't visible from afar.

Great idea. I used to have a lot of that (par can) gel in the 80's 😄 I should have saved some. hat gel was expensive!

• Like 1