New Minelab Manticore

1 hour ago, PimentoUK said:

'Burnt coil' first:

The power put into a detectors coil is VERY small, 10's of milliwatts, enough to light an LED, for example the little red 'standby' light on your TV. So even if this power were increased +50%, it would still be a pathetic amount of power. Nothing will burn, burst into a mass of flaming plastic and copper, explode etc. So any suggestion that Mandingo is capable of such havoc is baloney, and is likely a failed attempt at 'hype'.

Only two things of relevance come from "+50% more power":

A potential improvement in EMI handling. If there's 23% more voltage on the TX coil, there's +23% more return signal from the target and the ground .... but the EMI signal remains the same. Hence a modest improvement in signal-to-noise ratio, which is useful.

Increased current drain on the battery pack. However ... the Eqx draws about 420 mA, from a single Li cell, say 3.8V, hence 1.6 Watts. Of which less than 0.2W [my estimate] is spent driving the coil , the rest is microprocessor / ADC / signal amplifiers / LCD screen/ audio amplifier / wireless TX/RX etc etc. So the new machine will be similar; most power is the inner workings, the 'enhanced' coil power is not a major contributor.

Thanks for this further explanation, Pimento.  

I am surprised to hear how little power runs to a detector coil.  I would have thought that it would take much more power than that, to enable the coil to transmit a signal into the ground that is "strong" enough such that it is capable of not only initiating an electrical current in a target buried in the ground, but also one that is then discernible by the receive side of the coil.  I had no idea we were dealing with such small wattage (or apparently, milliwattage, in this case).

Steve

1 hour ago, PimentoUK said:

Re: the Pseudo-PI technique used on FBS machines, this thread should explain:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/13202-ctx-4040-or-equinox-1000-or-both/?do=findComment&comment=133265

Thanks, Pimento.  Very much appreciated! I'll dig into that info once again.  It's been a couple of years...

THANKS!

Steve

Probably more important than ever to turn your cell phone off when detecting to prevent it from exploding into a massive fireball.

• Like 1

Steve --

That's pretty good...!!  😄

Did Minelab's marketing department write that?  Kind of sounds like it.  LOL!

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steveg said:

Steve --

That's pretty good...!!  😄

Did Minelab's marketing department write that?  Kind of sounds like it.  LOL!

Steve

I figured I'd just try and walk everyone back from the hype ledge a little bit. Just like Legend, just like Deus II, it's just another metal detector, and when all the dust settles, that's all it's going to be. Equinox gave us ice cream, and now we are getting different flavors of ice cream. Manticore is a very nice detector, for sure, but as a pretty good operator I can honestly say I can use a Equinox, Legend, and Deus II, and get similar results, and Manticore is not going to change that. You want to make more and better finds, then put yourself on better locations, and put in more hours of detecting. Those two things will do far more to improve anyone's results, than the latest new whiz bang detector.

Having said that, if I was not already just fine in the multi department and looking for one out of all the options available now, I'd get the Manticore. Equinox hit 90% of what I want in a VLF, and this latest Minelab looks to fill in another 7%, so looking good.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. :smile:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

That statement comes directly from MInelab??? Or is it from a dealer? If that's directly from Minelab, I would be shocked that they could not answer that question. In any event, I hope you can get your answer.

I dont think it’s a dealer , mail is service@minelab.com.au 

• Like 1