New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

That's quite a good video, a match for the CTX on deep silvers is looking very likely after hearing that video.  That's quite good, I didn't expect it to be better than a CTX on silvers, but a match would be nice and by the way he said it gets a decent jump on small gold jewellery over the Nox by the increased coil power in mild soils that may translate into sightly better small gold performance for those fortunate enough to have natural gold in mild soils, so a real mixture between the CTX and the Nox.    At the moment it's swing a CTX and miss some gold, swing a Nox and miss some silver so a combination of the two is beneficial.

It's quite possible I believe the CTX will still be best at what it does well, but having an upgraded Nox that compares more favorable with the CTX is a good thing that I'd appreciate.  In my soil the CTX absolutely destroys the Nox on deep silver for outright depth so having the Nox 1500 catch up would be great, prior to having the CTX though the Nox was brilliant on deep silver so I'm certainly not disappointed with the Nox performance on it and any improvement is a good thing.

Something that appears to ring true the more I learn about detectors is they've virtually reached their limits not only in VLF but also PI and expecting dramatic improvements in performance is very unlikely.  Going to multi frequency combined a lot of the best detectors of the time into one unit, sure the units custom for the task are often still the ones that excel and the Gold Bug 2 on tiny gold is a fine example although if I had the choice I'd pick the Nox over the GB2 for tiny gold even though not quite as sensitive, but the general purpose units are now becoming good enough for most people.

I'm more of a skeptic now after my GPX 6000 experience though, so a Muncheroable is very likely in my future I'm not going to rush in and buy it immediately, at least until I know it's of reasonable quality, as that is truly where Minelab are lacking more than performance.  Their slogan is performance is everything, I disagree, quality still matters.

My Minelab repair agent knows me now, that's never a good thing as nice as they are.

• Like 6

Great post Phrunt.  Was surprised at the comparison to the CTX.  The pod looks much better design/build wise, leaks solved hopefully.  Would get one before another nox i think due to better build.  A little more depth never hurts.   And i like the menu/navigation better.     Cant wait to see my wifes face when say i think i need a manicure...then the price:laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

That's quite a good video, a match for the CTX on deep silvers is looking very likely after hearing that video.  That's quite good, I didn't expect it to be better than a CTX on silvers, but a match would be nice and by the way he said it gets a decent jump on small gold jewellery over the Nox by the increased coil power in mild soils that may translate into sightly better small gold performance for those fortunate enough to have natural gold in mild soils, so a real mixture between the CTX and the Nox.    At the moment it's swing a CTX and miss some gold, swing a Nox and miss some silver so a combination of the two is beneficial.

It's quite possible I believe the CTX will still be best at what it does well, but having an upgraded Nox that compares more favorable with the CTX is a good thing that I'd appreciate.  In my soil the CTX absolutely destroys the Nox on deep silver for outright depth so having the Nox 1500 catch up would be great, prior to having the CTX though the Nox was brilliant on deep silver so I'm certainly not disappointed with the Nox performance on it and any improvement is a good thing.

Something that appears to ring true the more I learn about detectors is they've virtually reached their limits not only in VLF but also PI and expecting dramatic improvements in performance is very unlikely.  Going to multi frequency combined a lot of the best detectors of the time into one unit, sure the units custom for the task are often still the ones that excel and the Gold Bug 2 on tiny gold is a fine example although if I had the choice I'd pick the Nox over the GB2 for tiny gold even though not quite as sensitive, but the general purpose units are now becoming good enough for most people.

I'm more of a skeptic now after my GPX 6000 experience though, so a Muncheroable is very likely in my future I'm not going to rush in and buy it immediately, at least until I know it's of reasonable quality, as that is truly where Minelab are lacking more than performance.  Their slogan is performance is everything, I disagree, quality still matters.

My Minelab repair agent knows me now, that's never a good thing as nice as they are.

phrunt,

I agree, very nice post you wrote up.

I'm curious about your comment regarding the CTX being the best at hitting deep silvers.  A number of years ago when the CTX came out several of us did head-to-heads with the Etrac and did not find the CTX superior on deep silver.  Plus if I remember correctly the CTX did not have the high sweet tone on silver that the Etrac did.  Unfortunately the dialogue was on another forum and as usual it turned into a conflict between Etrac bashers and CTX bashers and it got way out of hand.  Did you ever try this comparison?  

Bill

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

I'm curious about your comment regarding the CTX being the best at hitting deep silvers.  A number of years ago when the CTX came out several of us did head-to-heads with the Etrac and did not find the CTX superior on deep silver.  Plus if I remember correctly the CTX did not have the high sweet tone on silver that the Etrac did.  Unfortunately the dialogue was on another forum and as usual it turned into a conflict between Etrac bashers and CTX bashers and it got way out of hand.  Did you ever try this comparison?  

Bill

I don't know that Simon has a Etrac...regardless this thread is about the Manticore and the engineer was talking about the similarities between it and the CTX/Nox nothing about Etrac mentioned....maybe we can stay on track here....just sayin

strick 

• Like 3

I've had a pre-order in since Aug. 27th. I've always said the Equinox was a better all around detector than the CTX. Just as deep in my opinion. They are saying the following about the Manticore vs. the Nox. Deeper, faster, better I.D. more segments+2d ferrous conductive screen, better build, better waterproofing. That's why I got on a pre-order list the second day after it was announced.

So one question I have is the adjustable Iron Bias feature gone? I ran mine at F2-0 all the time, but I'm guessing the 2D screen takes the place of an Iron Bias adjustment? Before you could raise or lower IB if you wanted to quickly pass on the iffy targets that might have been sounding non-ferrous. I never had that trouble for the most part. Even at an IB of 0 I didn't get fooled a lot.

Okay now it's called Ferrous Limit. I guess that you set it in the menu and it shows visually on the screen ever how high or low it's set.  

• Like 1

Yes, I don't own an E-Trac, always wanted one as it was similar to the CTX in a way but had aftermarket coil support, could never justify buying one new as I had the CTX, and they just never came up used for sale in such a small market here.

I was surprised to hear the Minelab guy in that video do any comparison to the CTX, it's not their usual tactic comparing models with each other, they try distance models as far as possible.  I guess that's what happens if you use an engineer for marketing 🙂

While I prefer the Nox overall, the CTX is a killer on deep silver and that's the purpose I use it for over the Nox.  It would be nice to have a detector that combines the CTX silver ability with the Nox.  My problem is now I know the CTX finds silver better, especially deep small silver I don't like using the Nox where there might be silvers to find as I know I'll just have to do it again with the CTX anyway 🙂  But then when I do it with the CTX I know I'll have to do it again with the Nox anyway, for the Nox's ability on gold.

I have no doubts it will be a good detector and we will be happy with it, I would just prefer to wait a few months once its out to be sure they are not shipping another product riddled with faults.  Once I'm satisfied it's decent I'll make my move.  I've no need to rush, I thought I waited long enough with over a year on the GPX 6000, I was clearly wrong.

Smart naming Nagant, if we all tell the wives we are going out to get a manicure they may not try stop us, they may think we are trying to look all pretty for them 😄

• Like 3

On 9/16/2022 at 4:31 PM, thekise said:

New video with a lot of info...

Another video from Detectival, but a bit different from what's been shown up to now.  The presenter is Detexpert and field tester Luc Van Assche according to the YouTube text abstract, but other than knowing his name I didn't see/hear more about him.

At ~7:00 - 8:30 there is some discussion of custom memory storage.  Here are a couple screenshots I took off the video:

1963200773_Screenshotat2022-09-18142812.png.f99249c074519a276fa8b9ee1d02750a.png633405188_Screenshotat2022-09-18142705.png.bd0c9d00e1b24190edcebcd00c568f40.png

Also, apparently the user softkey on the right hand side of the control module (silhouette of a person) is not for the custom user profile settings (as it is on the Equinox), or at least not exclusively for those.  I might have gotten that info off the latest (~9 minute long) interview with Lawrie.  Apparently the user profile storage locations are accessible through the standard front face softkeys.

Starting around 9:45 in the video, the Detextpert talks about the -99 to 0 (ferrous) portion of dTID's, saying that a red line will be shown under the two digit readout on the screen to indicate negative values.  (I vaguely remember this being mentioned in an earlier video.)

Although the title includes "field testing", I think the targets are known (recently) buried ones, not actual 'historic' targets.  That part of the video starts about 27:00 and goes for four or five minutes.  It's also from the roped off Manticore ground at Detectival so possibly unlike the Equinox unveiling five years ago, attendees were not allowed to take the Manticore into the wild.  (Just my hyphothesis as I've only seen videos showing it in the Minelab cordoned off area while at Detectival.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Partial Quote:

I was surprised to hear the Minelab guy in that video do any comparison to the CTX, it's not their usual tactic comparing models with each other, they try distance models as far as possible.  I guess that's what happens if you use an engineer for marketing 🙂

Maybe Minelab figures it's better to agree than to fight it out with us 😄 It's kind of hard to deny the similarities between the Nox and CTX and the Manticore. Maybe....... they are not afraid of steering away CTX sales since the flagship is probably already scheduled to come out in the next couple of years. Besides CTX sales are probably non-existent these days anyways.

• Like 1