New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

19 minutes ago, PSPR said:

I think most here with a new D2 would probably do the same.  You can't just go around dropping $1600 every time a new detector comes on the market.  If I had bought a D2 I wouldn't be in the market for a Manticore right now either.  But I do think giving silly names to detectors you have no intention of buying is a bit childish.  Should we call the Deus II the Dump2?  LOL  (Just messing with ya)

The thing that I like on the Deus 2 is the x-y axis and waterproof depth. Is it that bad on gold nuggets?

1 minute ago, steveg said:

PSPR -- don't take too much offense, LOL!  I am pretty sure there's no offense intended.  Alot of people don't like the "Manticore" name that Minelab came up with, so there was some "creativity," here on the forum, early on, kind of poking fun at what some see as a poor job of naming the machine.  Thus, bringing some levity to the situation, folks have come up with some equally poor names for the unit.  And these attempts at humor come both from those who ARE interested in the machine, and those who may not be.  That "trend" has sort of caught on, here, as a sort of "unique" thing on this specific forum.  Dreaming up a new, funny name is just an attempt at humor.  No offense intended; it's not even a poke at the machine itself, just a poke at what some perceive to be a poor choice, by Minelab's marketing department, for a name.

Steve

It looks like a man, has the strength of a lion, and stings like a scorpion.

• Like 1

rled (or anyone else) -- NOT to veer this thread off in the weeds, but I'm curious.  I know how the Manticore's x,y coordinate system/2-d screen will work (i.e. what the "x" and "y" values represent).  BUT -- I have no idea what is being displayed on the Deus 2's x,y graph.  Can you describe it for me, to satisfy my curiousity, if you know?  What do the x and y represent?

One reason I ask, is, I just learned last night that apparently the old White's signagraph was a plot of signal strength, and target ID (if I read the information correctly), which I found somewhat interesting.  Point being, clearly you could plot any number of things just by assigning different things as your x and y variables.  What is it, on a Deus, that is being represented?

Thanks!

Steve

14 minutes ago, steveg said:

PSPR -- don't take too much offense, LOL! 

Not offended at all, Steve.  I realize it is just a playful messing with odd names.  I too thought Manticore was an odd name when I first heard it.  But I do see the variations come from more people who have a Deus II and must feel the Manticore is an assault on the detecting superiority of the Deus II right now.  Psych 300 is interesting.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, steveg said:

rled (or anyone else) -- NOT to veer this thread off in the weeds, but I'm curious.  I know how the Manticore's x,y coordinate system/2-d screen will work (i.e. what the "x" and "y" values represent).  BUT -- I have no idea what is being displayed on the Deus 2's x,y graph.  Can you describe it for me, to satisfy my curiousity, if you know?  What do the x and y represent?

One reason I ask, is, I just learned last night that apparently the old White's signagraph was a plot of signal strength, and target ID (if I read the information correctly), which I found somewhat interesting.  Point being, clearly you could plot any number of things just by assigning different things as your x and y variables.  What is it, on a Deus, that is being represented?

Thanks!

Steve

See below.  Ignore the fact that the TID stays constant at 78 regardless of the target displayed.  The more stable the target ID the more "linear" the "oval" remains.  I think slope in either "hemisphere" corresponds to target ID.  I don't use the feature because I get more information from the target audio, but I might experiment more with it, in the future.

174281808_SmartSelect_20221113_185248_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.a01620a4aa4cb4329f11370e94544731.jpg

• Like 3

Chase,

Thanks for the info.  So, it's not as simple as x,y coordinate pairs being plotted on an x,y coordinate system, with x and y representing two specific characteristics of the target.  It's quite a bit different, actually.  Hmm...

I don't like that idea, as -- for instance -- it's more like having to simply "memorize" that a "spiral shape" means "difficult to reject" items, and a "lower left to upper right" oval shape means "coin," without a more clear, direct, logical relationship between what is being plotted, and what it says about the target.  It seems "abstract," and harder to understand "linearly" or "logically," as compared to plotting an FE,CO coordinate pair...

In any case, thanks for the info!

Steve

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

See below.  Ignore the fact that the TID stays constant at 78 regardless of the target displayed.  The more stable the target ID the more "linear" the "oval" remains.  I think slope in either "hemisphere" corresponds to target ID.  I don't use the feature because I get more information from the target audio, but I might experiment more with it, in the future.

174281808_SmartSelect_20221113_185248_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.a01620a4aa4cb4329f11370e94544731.jpg

That's interesting.  One would have to experiment with it to see if it has value.  Since the oval isn't always an oval it could provided some very useful ID info.  Funny that nobody ever talks about this.  I didn't even know the Deus II had this feature.

5 hours ago, steveg said:
8 hours ago, phrunt said:

If you are capable of using your Nox with 50 tones, you already have target trace, your brain just has to decipher it and some people are capable of doing that, for me I can't go past 5 tones so I benefit greatly from the visuals target trace provides. 🙂

This is true, to a large degree, but I want to add a nuance.

Great explanatory post and IMO you added more than nuance.  There are a couple things I'd like to add.

1) Sound information and light information enter our brains along different routes.  I'm pretty sure each is separately analyzed differently in our brains.  So even if the exact same information were available via both channels (possibly except for savants), everyone would arrive at different conclusions in some cases depending upon which channel was chosen.

2) In general 2-dimensional information contains considerably more than 1-D info.  There are ways to compress (might not be the best word -- modulate?) dimenions and save the info.  Holography is an example.  But in this example case you need sophisticated tools to do that reconstruction (although maybe there are exceptions).  For most holograms anyway, the human brain can't reconstruct the original.

I won't quote any side discussion about the name, but ask what was so great about 'Equinox'?  They stole it from Chevrolet 😏 but in both cases I'd like to know what either product has to do with the real meaning.  Well, I guess if you live at the earth's poles (for the detector by that name) it corresponds to when you have to turn on the screen's backlight and (6 months later) when you can turn that off again....

• Like 4

Would that not be the Solstice?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PSPR said:

Not offended at all, Steve.  I realize it is just a playful messing with odd names.  I too thought Manticore was an odd name when I first heard it.  But I do see the variations come from more people who have a Deus II and must feel the Manticore is an assault on the detecting superiority of the Deus II right now.  Psych 300 is interesting.  :rolleyes:

Has nothing to do with a perceived assault of the superiority of the Deus ll detecting ability. Others have tried to explain to you, from day one, it is simply a jab at a truly funny name for a metal detector. And no one can compare the two detectors as one is out in the wild and one is not. Most everyone no matter what they swing agrees, it’s a weird a$$ name. 😃

• Like 1