Deus 2 Carbon-fiber Shaft Project Update...(updated 8-27-22 With New Pics -- Fully Assembled Shaft)

steveg

On 8/25/2022 at 5:36 PM, bigtim1973 said:

So how much lighter is this gonna make the shaft when complete?

bigtim, I just finished assembling the first shaft (to be sent out for field testing soon).  Total weight of the shaft, everything included except a coil, and with remote control NOT attached (but with remote control mount included) is 16.3 oz. total weight.

I'm not sure how this compares, in an "apples to apples" way to the stock shaft (no coil, no remote attached), but perhaps someone can chime in?

Thanks!

Steve

D2-1.JPG

D2-2.JPG

D2-3.JPG

D2-4.JPG

• Like 7

bigtim -- no, I don't have one in hand right now.  So, I'm not sure how it compares to the stock...

Steve

• The title was changed to Deus 2 Carbon-fiber Shaft Project Update...(updated 8-27-22 With New Pics -- Fully Assembled Shaft)
20 hours ago, steveg said:

'm not sure how this compares, in an "apples to apples" way to the stock shaft (no coil, no remote attached), but perhaps someone can chime in?

It weighs 470 grams or 16.5oz

• Like 1

Sandheron --

THANKS for letting me know!

Sounds like, then, they are very close.  Mine runs about 1/2 oz. lighter, as it weighs 15.9 oz. without the strap on the arm cuff, which D2 cuff does not have.  

One other note, is that my shaft is also designed to be longer than the Deus stock shaft -- extending about 6" longer than the Deus shaft can.  It's also longer from the handle to the arm cuff; that section of the stock Deus shaft is too short, in my opinion; mine is a few inches longer in that dimension.  So, if I built my shaft to the same dimensions as the Deus shaft, it would end up lighter still; probably an ounce so lighter than the stock shaft.  And of course, I'm happy to build a "shorter" shaft for anyone who prefers that, to shave a bit of additional weight.

Thank you!

Steve

• Like 3

On 8/27/2022 at 4:54 PM, steveg said:

bigtim, I just finished assembling the first shaft (to be sent out for field testing soon).  Total weight of the shaft, everything included except a coil, and with remote control NOT attached (but with remote control mount included) is 16.3 oz. total weight.

I'm not sure how this compares, in an "apples to apples" way to the stock shaft (no coil, no remote attached), but perhaps someone can chime in?

The XP S Telescopic  Lite weigh around 400g ( 14 oz )
( 320g for the S Lite shaft + 80g lower shaft ) .   
Canne S TELESCOPIC Lite | XP METAL DETECTORSCapture.PNG

However your carbon shaft is much longer than the S telescopic Lite . Then at least tall persons should be interested by your shaft ... And a carbon shaft will be more rigid than the XP stock shafts .

Whats its price ? thanks ..

palzynski --

The introductory price on my shaft will be $229 USD plus shipping.

Also, thanks for the information/specifications on the Deus Lite S-Stem -- the lighter alternative to the standard Deus stem.  So, yes -- while my shaft is a hair lighter than the standard Deus shaft, it is not quite as light as the Deus lite.

What I can say, is this.  First, if I made my shaft shorter (Deus length), obviously it would be lighter, as you noted.  In fact, building my shaft to Deus standard shaft length, would reduce my shaft weight by almost an ounce (0.9 oz.)  I can do that, for any customer who doesn't need the extra length.  At "Deus length,"  my shaft weight would then be reduced to approximately 15.4 oz.

In addition, the Deus shaft uses neither an arm cuff pad, nor an arm cuff strap.  Eliminating those from my arm cuff, would remove another half ounce (0.55 oz.).  This is also something I can do, for any customer that doesn't need a pad or a strap. So at that point, my shaft would be reduced to 14.85 oz. -- and would be within 0.85 oz. of the weight of a Deus Lite shaft (and just over an ounce and a half lighter than the Deus standard shaft).

Further, there is one additional thing I will say, which I think is a very important consideration -- BALANCE.  To elaborate...

The standard Deus arm cuff weighs 2.2 oz., if I am not mistaken.  With the strap and pad included on my cuff, mine weighs 5.6 oz. (it checks in at 5.0 oz. without the strap and pad).  And that 3-ish ounce difference accounts for the reason I can't quite match the Deus Lite shaft weight.  While my cuff is carbon fiber, it is larger, and quite heavy-duty.  It also has a larger/taller stand on the bottom than the stock Deus cuff, so that my shaft will rest properly upright, when a coil is attached.  Finally, my cuff uses four small bolts and locking nuts (marine-grade stainless steel) to attach it to the shaft.  Given those features, it ends up just over 3 oz. heavier than the Deus cuff.

HOWEVER, while I could have substantially reduced the cuff weight by making the cuff less heavy-duty, I did not want to do so, as I am all about solid, heavy-duty builds.  BUT -- but more importantly -- I DID NOT WANT to reduce the weight, because having a cuff on a Deus shaft that is slightly heavier, is a POSITIVE.  The reason is BALANCE (and thus, user comfort).  Like other machines, a Deus has nearly all of the weight at the "coil end" of the shaft, and next to NO weight, at the butt end.  This, of course, means it is nose-heavy.  While the Deus 9" coil is light enough that the imbalance is not a major problem for most users, it is still nose-heavy, which is not ideal.  And therefore, adding 3 oz. of extra weight to the butt end of the shaft (via the arm cuff) IMPROVES the balance of the shaft, and OFFSETS the fact that my shaft is a fraction of an ounce heavier than a Deus Lite shaft.

This fits neatly in line with what I feel is the philosophical foundation of a perfect shaft design.  And that is, do everything you can to reduce the weight of the shaft as much as possible FIRST, AND THEN -- once you have the lightest shaft possible -- ADD A BIT OF WEIGHT, in the RIGHT PLACE (the butt end) to bring better BALANCE.  This maximizes the ergonomic comfort of the detector, making it a more comfortable machine to swing.  Reducing the "absolute" weight of a detector is just ONE consideration, when attempting to design a comfortable machine to swing; balance is just as important, IF NOT MORESO, than the "absolute" weight.  And, from an ergonomics perspective, BALANCE is, in my view, the most neglected aspect of today's detector designs.

Steve

• Like 3

5 hours ago, steveg said:

palzynski --

The introductory price on my shaft will be $229 USD plus shipping.

Also, thanks for the information/specifications on the Deus Lite S-Stem -- the lighter alternative to the standard Deus stem.  So, yes -- while my shaft is a hair lighter than the standard Deus shaft, it is not quite as light as the Deus lite.

What I can say, is this.  First, if I made my shaft shorter (Deus length), obviously it would be lighter, as you noted.  In fact, building my shaft to Deus standard shaft length, would reduce my shaft weight by almost an ounce (0.9 oz.)  I can do that, for any customer who doesn't need the extra length.  At "Deus length,"  my shaft weight would then be reduced to approximately 15.4 oz.

In addition, the Deus shaft uses neither an arm cuff pad, nor an arm cuff strap.  Eliminating those from my arm cuff, would remove another half ounce (0.55 oz.).  This is also something I can do, for any customer that doesn't need a pad or a strap. So at that point, my shaft would be reduced to 14.85 oz. -- and would be within 0.85 oz. of the weight of a Deus Lite shaft (and just over an ounce and a half lighter than the Deus standard shaft).

F

Ok long story short this carbon shaft looks very interesting , its weight is similar to the XP stock shafts but it is much longer especially for the rear shaft which means a much better "sweeping cumfort" ... Again tall guys will appreciate , the current XP shafts design is definitely not for them ... 🙂

It is a little expensive but this is normal for such a sophisticated carbon design ...

When you say 229$ you mean shipping to Europe or US only ? thx

Btw  a 2 part version would be even lighter because you would save a camlock weight ( probably around 1 oz )

palzynski --

Yes, my biggest disappointment with this shaft is the expense.  I always try to offer customers the best possible prices that I can.  But, this was a VERY expensive shaft to design, as each part (lower rod end, remote control mount, handle, and arm cuff) had to be designed from scratch, several molds had to be purchased in order to produce these parts, etc.  So, that drives up the cost significantly.

Think about it this way...compared to my Equinox straight shaft, this shaft has three additional components, right off the bat, that the Equinox shaft does not require -- the remote-control mount, the S-handle, and the arm cuff.  While the cost per piece of the remote-control mount is not high, the injection mold that will be required to produce this part will be costly (initially, this will be a 3D-printed part).  But, the S-handle and the arm cuff require not ONLY expensive molds to produce them, but even once the molds have been purchased, they are expensive parts to produce (due to being carbon fiber, and not plastic).  For these reasons, the cost on this shaft is higher than I would like, and I will likely have to raise the price more, eventually.  But, I wanted to get it out there at the lowest possible introductory price.  And no, that price does not include shipping to Europe.  In the U.S., shipping will add about $21 USD ($250 total price), but obviously more to ship overseas -- probably around $50 USD for shipping to the UK/EU.

And YES -- a 2-piece shaft WOULD be lighter; about 1 1/2 oz. lighter due to the elimination of one of the cam locks.  And I can CERTAINLY build a 2-piece shaft for anyone who does not require the collapsibility that the 3-piece offers.  I know many users like the way the stock XP shaft collapses for travel, and so I wanted to maintain that ability for those who like it.  BUT -- for those who don't require it, and are happy with a two-piece shaft, another approximately 1.5 oz. can indeed be shaved from the shaft just by eliminating the upper cam lock.

Steve

• Like 2