Lowest Price & Price Fixing

“Earlier it was mentioned that Garrett dealers would risk their dealer agreement if they sell below a certain amount so do you mean they can sell lower than the suggested retail down to the minimum but going below that puts them at risk or do you mean they can sell below even that price with no risk? 🤔

Price fixing is and has been illegal for a long time. What you pay a person when you are in direct negotiations is up to you and them. Companies can dictate Advertised prices, via Minimum Advertised Price. Violating that by publicly advertising for less can get the dealer canned. It has nothing to do with the price you pay, if you engage in direct unseen negotiations.

As I said, simply pressing the buy button on the internet gets you MAP. Calling and negotiating often gets a lower price. There, big secret revealed. Amazing to me how few people in this price obsessed “get a deal” country know this.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

It’s why establishing a long term relationship with trusted dealer(s) is important if you intend to hop on the detector merry go round and indulge your sickness, I mean, hobby/business impulses.

It's also possible that you call up 10 dealers and take the lowest price.  Volume is the name of the game for some dealers.  You may not get the best service but if the manufacturer backs it then what the heck.  You have to buy and register the real deal.

If you are like me then you buy from someone who will provide training and a few pointy fingers.  That will make up the difference.

What would you rather have ... the lowest price for a detector or a fair priced detector which includes training and maybe some gold but certainly nuggets of information.

• Like 6

Training? Training? we don't need no stinking training...

well maybe a re fresher sometimes 😉 

strick 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Well, based upon the informal 'survey' ... lowest price wins!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I remember the days 10-12 years ago when you looked at the printed ads or online ads for detectors and you paid full price, but you got extra coils and/or goodies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

I remember the days 10-12 years ago when you looked at the printed ads or online ads for detectors and you paid full price, but you got extra coils and/or goodies.

You and I and people like us paid full price. But before that time even there were people paying far less, we just didn't know it then. 🙂

I felt so stupid and embarrassed the day I discovered that basically everyone around me had paid way less than I did for every detector I ever bought, or that you could even negotiate the price down in this game. Especially since I was living off Ramen and that extra thousands in savings at the time would have been a massive  amount to me and kept me in the field a lot longer instead of having to drive home and go work and waste valuable time to replenish the savings while I taught myself how to prospect profitably. 

I had never bought anything from a dealer before that point, as all my vehicles were just junker used trucks, I had no idea anyone would actually negotiate down a retail price in the US for a new item, I assumed they were just set in stone since I'd never seen any different...I didn't go negotiate a Big Mac any more than the local computer shop would negotiate the price of a new graphics card back then either. The thought that I could even try to negotiate a metal detector price never occurred to me until someone finally told me that was the normal game. 

It still to this day makes me cringe and feel stupid when I think back to how much money I wasted, especially in those days I could least afford to waste it. 

So yeah, today, price is the only thing that matters to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 8/26/2022 at 7:25 AM, jasong said:

You and I and people like us paid full price. But before that time even there were people paying far less, we just didn't know it then. 🙂

I felt so stupid and embarrassed the day I discovered that basically everyone around me had paid way less than I did for every detector I ever bought, or that you could even negotiate the price down in this game. Especially since I was living off Ramen and that extra thousands in savings at the time would have been a massive  amount to me and kept me in the field a lot longer instead of having to drive home and go work and waste valuable time to replenish the savings while I taught myself how to prospect profitably. 

I had never bought anything from a dealer before that point, as all my vehicles were just junker used trucks, I had no idea anyone would actually negotiate down a retail price in the US for a new item, I assumed they were just set in stone since I'd never seen any different...I didn't go negotiate a Big Mac any more than the local computer shop would negotiate the price of a new graphics card back then either. The thought that I could even try to negotiate a metal detector price never occurred to me until someone finally told me that was the normal game. 

It still to this day makes me cringe and feel stupid when I think back to how much money I wasted, especially in those days I could least afford to waste it. 

So yeah, today, price is the only thing that matters to me.

Many large dealers set their own rules of the game. Unfortunately this is common practice.