Aftermarket GPX 6000 Locking Stem Kit Fitted And Tested

Aureous

Just received my 'Crittas Offroad' stem-lock and lower shaft kit today and fitted it. Instructions are rather rudimentary but the task is an easy one. Remove the ML lower and middle stems and unscrew the 'locking' (never) ring, exposing the threaded plastic ferrule. Use a hacksaw blade or dremel-type elec rotary tool with cutting disc (that's what I used) and slice through the thread along the same axis as the stem until you determine that its cut through to the upper stem level. Then use a flat blade screwdriver to wedge open the cut and then use a pair of narrow pliers to grip and remove the 'never locking' piece of junk away from the upper stem. It will take a bit of wriggling and twisting to break the glue but mine broke free fairly easy. 

Reassembly means you unscrew the locking attachment with an allen (hex) key to open up the attachment to the diameter of the new stem. Then push it on with the locking lever part facing the coil end. Re-tighten with the allen key until very firm but don't over-tighten coz the stem may crack. Then insert the new stem (with coil attached) and adjust axis and length to suit your height. I did it without the use of the 'instructions' in about 15 minutes. 

No downsides to this aftermarket fix....the supplied stem is extra long and the same fiberglass or polycarb 'carbon fiber' look as the factory stem. The coil end of the stem has rubber washers attached already (but no coil bolt). The locking attachment tightens very snug onto the upper stem and the actual locking lever is fully adjustable for position and firmness. I haven't used it in-field yet (tomorrow) but I've tried to twist it off axis with my foot on the coil and it holds firm. YAY!!!!! A problem that should never have occurred is now FIXED. AU$150 spent but the extra 'Tall-man'  stem is worth AU$100 by itself. Very happy chappy :biggrin:

IMG_20220826_204306[1].jpg

• Like 8

• The title was changed to Aftermarket GPX6000 locking stem kit fitted and tested
  • The title was changed to Aftermarket Gpx6000 Locking Stem Kit Fitted And Tested

What puzzles me is this new Equinox 1000 *Beast* had to of been in the works for a long time, it gets the nice locking stem with locks that won't twist and the GPX 6000 gets the stem of an early model Garrett Ace 250 before Garrett realized that was a bad design and fixed it in later models.  It's ridiculous for such a high priced detector to have such a basic problem and it not go resolved for owners as a warranty, especially when they sell a 17x13" coil for it, that's begging to be twisted constantly.

I assume this method you've done takes away the ability to be shrink down the detector?  The ones I've seen floating around on Ebay for sale do.  If not can you provide a link where to buy it.  I should buy one and email Minelab the invoice 🙂

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Aftermarket GPX 6000 Locking Stem Kit Fitted And Tested
58 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

How do you know they don’t?

They wouldn't want to 🙂   One would hope they're capable of learning from their mistakes, it seems they've taken onboard the coil ears breaking after a decade or so of broken ears with a redesign which visually appears a much better design.

I've never had a lock like that twist before though.  The aftermarket shafts tend to favor similar locks. 

My original Equinox shaft was a floppy, they replaced it with an improved one which I've never had a problem with since, it's not a difficult task to release a shaft that doesn't twist which is why people are knocking them up at home and selling them, some have made a nice little business out of it.

shaft clip 1.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

I assume this method you've done takes away the ability to be shrink down the detector?  The ones I've seen floating around on Ebay for sale do.  If not can you provide a link where to buy it.  I should buy one and email Minelab the invoice

That is correct. The extra long stem makes this a difficulty anyway. But you can still disassemble it and pack it down somewhat.

• Like 1

Just gave it a whirl for 4 hours this afternoon and it locked solid. No twisting whatsoever....AWESOME!!!!!!! 

• Like 5

Great stuff Aureous im glad ya like it,i remember the first day out with it and it really transformed the detector,feels solid and well the way it's meant to i guess. lol

One other thing,it doesn't hurt to get in the habit of locking it when packing it away also.

We were out on the quad a cuppla months ago and id just unlocked it,slid it togethor then threw it on as usual,we were riding about for a cuppla hours looking at ground then a fair ride back to camp but in those 2-3 hrs the bolt in the lever clamp had worked itself all the way out.

Back at camp the boss said your clamps half missing,oh bugger,anyway by chance the bolt and lever ended up on the footwell of the quad,we had spares but it's practise for us now to relock them after sliding it down....

• Like 1

Thanks, I guess I'll wait and see if Minelab come up with a solution at some point with all the people complaining, I don't use the 6000 much anyway.

• Like 2

I’m having difficulty understanding how this is still an issue on a $6,000 detector?.. The $250 Nokta Simplex has zero shaft twist!

• Like 1