Aftermarket GPX 6000 Locking Stem Kit Fitted And Tested

Aureous

7 minutes ago, V3i/MXT Pro said:

I’m having difficulty understanding how this is still an issue on a $6,000 detector?.. The $250 Nokta Simplex has zero shaft twist!

They just don't care.  There is no other explanation.  They're pinching the pennys, if they wanted to fix it they'd supply dealers with replacement parts for free we could all pick up and problem solved and they'd make a lot of customers happy.  They did it with the wobbly Nox shafts and its a cheap detector by comparison.

• Like 4

It must be low manufacturing tolerances because my 6000 shaft doesn't twist. I tried twisting it by hand last trip out just to make sure I wasn't crazy, and it was quite hard to turn. Yet my 7000 shaft twists every 5 minutes, and that's the replacement shaft they sent to fix my first twisting shaft.

Yet another of those problems that seem common for some but not others on the 6000. Seems to indicate a problem with manufacturing consistency. 

It makes me hope that new detectors aren't made at the same factory, or this might become situation normal in the future.

• Like 2

I’ve been beach and land detecting in the East for nearly 20 years. I would like to begin prospecting in the West and I’m trying to decide between an Axiom or a low-hour GPX 6000. It’s these small details relating to build quality that can sway the final decision… Minelab really should be listening.

15 hours ago, jasong said:

It must be low manufacturing tolerances because my 6000 shaft doesn't twist. I tried twisting it by hand last trip out just to make sure I wasn't crazy, and it was quite hard to turn. Yet my 7000 shift twists every 5 minutes, and that's the replacement shift they sent to fix my first twisting shift.

Yet another of those problems that seem common for some but not others on the 6000. Seems to indicate a problem with manufacturing consistency. 

It makes me hope that new detectors aren't made at the same factory, or this might become situation normal in the future.

Yeah mine does not twist either.  You have to tighten it down real good.  Need strong hands 😂

But I would still switch over to clamps if Minelab will supply the clamps used on the “Core”

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It may sound blasphemous, but I like that we can twist the coil on the 6k. I guess mine does have pretty good locks though, so it hasn’t been an issue. I did get a Brit made shorty rod for my EQ, but it can’t twist as the shaft sections nhave a rib running through them, making it harder to use on side hills and such because I have to twist my wrist to the side instead and so hate that. One thing for sure though, it certainly has a great feel to it and is surely sturdy, even the locks on it are solid so it’s a great rod for my larger and heavier coils.

• 1 year later...

I used the wife 6000 last week. That stupid shaft twist was annoying as hell. The speaker pointing backwards is no one's friend. I did like using it, you felt confident you wouldn't miss much with it. Now in saying that, and reading all of Minelabs short comings - my Garrett Axiom build quality is 100% spot on - in quality control, tolerances, weight and balance, etc... I have also had some necessary dealings with Garrett Aust and USA and it has been spot on. Going over and above to look after me, a single customer with some non critical issues. It really saddens me that Minelab WAS a brilliant, forward thinking, Australian company, but now, has slipped in so many ways. The ONLY thing they have going for them is the technology aspect of their detector business. The rest is just plain crap, marketing, customer relations, build quality and quality assurance etc.... I cautiously await a succession to the GPZ 7000, already thinking how I could take the internals out and putting them in a better platform. Surely I can't be the only one thinking this? Which should worry Minelab about their companies direction in the market.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2023 at 7:05 PM, afaitken said:

It really saddens me that Minelab WAS a brilliant, forward thinking, Australian company, but now, has slipped in so many ways. The ONLY thing they have going for them is the technology aspect of their detector business. The rest is just plain crap, marketing, customer relations, build quality and quality assurance etc

100% factual. Not an opinion. TRUTH. 👍

• Like 2

The shaft fix is relatively simple, GotAU worked it out some time ago and this post shows how to do it so you should sort out your wife's GPX for her for a few cents, puzzles me how Minelab released a detector at such a high cost with such a poor-quality shaft, the newer Manticore they realized how crap the shaft on the 6000 was and largely copied the aftermarket shaft manufacturers with their locking systems and put the same one onto their Manticore shaft.

I haven't had shaft twist since and mine was terrible, bump a little bush with the 14x9" coil on and it would swing sideways, even the little 10x5" coil caused movement if I bumped into any bushes with the tip of the coil.  I was forever tapping it back straight; I've only had to straighten it once or twice since.

I'm sure their customer service, quality control and all the things pointed out above will improve now they have competitors across the board as many people have been voting with their feet and moving on, especially with the VLF's.

• Like 2