Another Garrett Axiom Beast Of A Nugget Find

44 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I did just get the WR1 Z-Lynk receiver box however, and am going to use it with my headphone plugged into it. I suspect it is the speakers in the MS3 that are my issue with lack of clarity, and that plugging my Sun Rays, or some other headphones, like my Bose earbuds, into the WR1 will give me the sharper audio I am after. Or maybe the lack of audio clarity is inherent in Z-Lynk. I doubt that, but will not know until my next outing, when I will be giving that a try. Should only be a few days at most before I report back on that.

I don't have the MS3 headphones.  I do have the Z-lynk T+R pair and use that with some of my detectors.  I also have the Garrett MS2's (1/4" jack coiled cable headphones).  They sound muffled compared the SunRay Pro Golds when used with any of my low latency T/R systems (particularly my bread-and-butter Minelab WM08-Equinox combo) or when just plugged directly into a detector.  I don't know if they have the same speakers as the MS3's, though.  (They certainly look the same on the outside.)

For the price (some sellers list them at ~$25 with free shipping on Ebay), the MS2's are decent.  But there's no comparison for my ears with the Pro Golds.  Not surprisingly, a factor of five in cost makes a difference.  As always, people don't all have the same hearing so YMMV.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, strick said:

Since were asking how reliable is the ferro check...50%? I know it depends on target size and depth but I haven’t heard much talk about it’s reliability...

strick 

I have never really used iron disc systems on any PI, preferring to go by the tones personally.

The reliability of the iron check purely depends on the ground iron mineralization more than anything. Magnetite in the ground will mix with a non-ferrous signal, and can flip it to ferrous. The more magnetite, the worse the problem. I therefore can't put a number on it.

In my opinion you can't trust ferrous systems on a PI, period. I therefore recommend they be used in reverse. You find a target that without iron check, you would decide was a nail and walk away from anyway. I do that all the time with a PI. Now, give it a quick check, and if it reads non-ferrous, dig it. Use it as a fail safe to look for a reason to dig a target you would not have otherwise dug.

What a person should really not do is use it on every target, and only dig stuff it says is non-ferrous. Now you are looking for reasons not to dig. Yeah, you can do that, and yeah, it will eliminate most of the ferrous. But the risk of eliminating a nugget is just too high for me, and so I will continue to do what I've done for many years, and just trust my ears.

I just spent three days in a trash pit, and I admit it did not even occur to me to use the iron check. I just dug every target, including a bunch of nails and other generic ferrous junk. I am simply resistant to the idea, and it will be others who figure out how best how to use it, when, and where, etc. I'm certain some will find it very useful, and will be curious to perhaps learn from them when the time comes.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Swegin said:

Will yea. LOL.  No strange quirks or anything?

That is a very good question and deserves an answer.  I'll make a separate post and thanks for asking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norvic said:

Gerry I`m an OZ whose been around awhile and I know to use your words "No it's nothing like what the Aussies find", that is a myth for today. There was some truth last century but then wouldve been so for your country last century. I`ll probably get howled at by some Aussies for daring to say this. Gerry you do miles better than the average gold detector user of OZ.

Probably correct, but the top 5% of detectorists here, using the 7000 with big X Coils in the right areas, spending the right amount of time at it, are also finding numerous multi-ounce lumps each year. I haven't found a multi-ouncer since 2005. But I've found many, many thousands of sub-grammers and hundreds of multi-grammers since then. 

A major pity about the US$-AU$ exchange rate, the Axiom would fit the gap nicely for a well balanced, light weight PI prospecting unit and replace the GPX5000 as the 'general purpose' detector here in Oz otherwise. Sadly, it will be priced out of contention I fear. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, strick said:

Since were asking how reliable is the ferro check...50%? I know it depends on target size and depth but I haven’t heard much talk about it’s reliability...

strick 

I mentioned it in my new post.  But what I do and the way I hunt is not the norm for most others.  I like having it and so many peeps "just dig it all".  Kind of like my ring hunting.  I use ID #'s when possible and so many "just dig it".  What I have found when hunting same site on the same day with those who "just dig it", my returns are better.  I also realize I could have missed some, but it's hard to ignore great results.

I'll just say, I still think PI's have a ways to go on the Iron ID.  But this one does give me the option and my other 2 high end options did not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aureous said:

but the top 5% of detectorists here, using the 7000 with big X Coils in the right areas

Aye AU that`d be pretty close to the mark too and I wonder maybe true for the US too but wisely if so wherever they aren`t talking.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It needs to go twice as deep, have 100% accurate ferrous discrimination, and cost half as much.

When you and Gerry get it there and at that price let me know and I will take 2.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1