Whites GMX Sport Vs The Legend In Prospecting Mode

Never used a GMX sport so can't comment there, but Legend vs Gold Kruzer is an interesting one. The Legend in Multi-Freq with the 6" coil actually is quite powerful on tiny gold, BUT only where mineralisation doesn't hamper it. The Gold Kruzer just maintains a steadier threshold in bad ground, and this makes small variations pop, or pull you up. The multi freakers in my experience can't maintain such a steady threshold in their multi-frequency modes, and the few times I have used the Equinox in the goldfields I have gone to 40 or 20 kHz quick smart as the stability of the machine was vastly improved. 

I had planned to do more with the Legend in the goldfields, but with gold being so scarce around here, and me being busy with the business and testing Nugget Finder coils, it hasn't eventuated. This constant rain also doesn't make me too enthused to head out either. I'm kind of hanging out for a mid sized/elliptical coil for the Legend as well, and if that comes out late spring or summer then I look forward to giving it a swing in a few trashy areas where I wouldn't dare set any PI coil to the ground. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I do a lot of my detecting at 10,000 altitude where just picking up a short pick or moving a basketball sized boulder can make a person winded. Many of these places are hydraulic pit mining sites and talus slopes and are loaded with magnetite and every metamorphic rock is a hot rock. Since these are fault zones.......there are lots of metamorphic rocks!!!

I have used a Gold Racer, Gold Kruzer, Goldmonster 1000 and the 24K at these sites. To say they had trouble ground balancing would be a huge understatement. Gold Racer, Gold Kruzer and the 24K would literally overload at half sensitivity....... Using the Goldmonster 1000 for 8 hours at half sensitivity and ground balancing it every minute got old really fast. The amount of coil knock sensitivity......lower the sensitivity some more....... To say I got skunked at these sites with those detectors again would be a huge understatement. 

Using the Equinox in its Gold programs set on Multi at these sites is like swinging a less than 3 lbs, steady/quiet threshold, well ground balanced, super sensitive to small gold PI that I can run at or near maxed out sensitivity......and I don't get skunked using the Equinox either. I have no doubt that the Legend will do the same at these sites from the testing I have been able to do.

So I guess overall depth is all relative and dependent on many factors.

Thanks, again, Jeff!  Nice report!

Walt

On 8/30/2022 at 7:07 PM, PhaseTech said:

Never used a GMX sport so can't comment there, but Legend vs Gold Kruzer is an interesting one. The Legend in Multi-Freq with the 6" coil actually is quite powerful on tiny gold, BUT only where mineralisation doesn't hamper it. The Gold Kruzer just maintains a steadier threshold in bad ground, and this makes small variations pop, or pull you up. The multi freakers in my experience can't maintain such a steady threshold in their multi-frequency modes, and the few times I have used the Equinox in the goldfields I have gone to 40 or 20 kHz quick smart as the stability of the machine was vastly improved. 

I had planned to do more with the Legend in the goldfields, but with gold being so scarce around here, and me being busy with the business and testing Nugget Finder coils, it hasn't eventuated. This constant rain also doesn't make me too enthused to head out either. I'm kind of hanging out for a mid sized/elliptical coil for the Legend as well, and if that comes out late spring or summer then I look forward to giving it a swing in a few trashy areas where I wouldn't dare set any PI coil to the ground. 

Nenad, your reports are so amazing. They are almost the exact opposite of what I, Steve, Gerry, Andy and others experience here in the western USA. Maybe it’s a magnetite vs maghemite thing or EMI???

From Bruce Candy at https://www.detectorprospector.com/files/file/52-metal-detector-basics-and-theory/:

"In geologically new soils, the degree of mineralisation is usually weak, except for some volcanic soils. These relatively new soils are commonly found in North America and Europe (from glacier scrapings during the last ice age and mountain erosion etc). In contrast, surface soils which have remained surface soils for a long time often have high mineralisation, because the action of water, over a long period, causes iron compounds to migrate to the surface. For example, Australia has old soils, having had no glaciers recently or significant mountains to be eroded. Some volcanic rocks or sands, known as black sands, may be highly mineralised and are found, for example, in a few USA mainland and Hawaii areas. These black sands (or rocks) are made of mostly magnetite, an iron oxide called ferrite. These typically produce almost entirely X signals, and almost no R. They are heavy, that is they have a high density, and can be identified because they are strongly attracted to a magnet. Small roundish magnetite/maghemite pebbles (a few mm in diameter) are also attracted to a magnet. These, for example, may be found in many Australian goldfields, but do produce significant R signals. Thus, USA goldfields are typically different from Australian goldfields:

• The USA soils are mostly mildly mineralised but in some areas may contain either nearly pure magnetite black sands or rocks, which  are problematic for metal detectors as they have very high X components (strongly attracted to magnets).

• Australian goldfields have highly mineralised soils, but very few black sands or rocks that contain nearly pure X magnetite. The magnetic materials are in the forms of magnetite-rich small pebbles and rock coatings, clays and general “sandy” soils. These all contain magnetic materials that produce high levels of X signals as well as R. The ratio of X and R is random, and the R component arises from extremely small magnetic particles called superparamagnetic materials, which are discussed below."

(emphasis added) More Here

In general I have found it best to never talk about what detectors may or may not do in Australia, but leave it to the locals. I speak only to my own experiences, and respect that others in other places may experience different results. The reverse is also wise policy for Aussies who have never detected here. It's different worlds in more ways than one.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1