How To Improve The Swing Speed Under Water

A round shaft creates turbulence and drag when swinging thru water , this tires out the detectorist, but the answer swims buy him in the water , coils with openings and 90 degree angles create more turbulence under water this creates more resistance . so shy not make the shaft like a sharks tail feathering to a sharp point so you can swing the shaft and coil thru the water with ease from left to right , and the coil should be like a stingray , no openings but feathered out on the edge, hope you can understand my crude drawing , it would help that shaft and coil just glide thru the water

20220826_151035.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hey KW,

I think this has been proposed before, it's a good idea. Shaft diameter makes a difference as well, there is a shaft called "Stork" for the Equinox with a very small diameter lower rod. I have not tried it but it looks interesting.

The Deus has a trapezoidal shaft, I have found it easier to swing in the water than the carbon fiber shaft I have for the Equinox unless I dunk the whole detector.

There are many reasons this is impractical as well, mainly wobble and strength of the shaft if it is small diameter. Other issues are with the manufacture of strong tubes, I doubt it would be easy to make a carbon fiber shaft as you describe.

While the "Fins" you show in your drawing are rigid one way, they may not be very rigid another. Of course custom lock rings would have to be designed and manufactured as well.

The coils are also a problem, they have squared off struts that cause turbulence and drag.

Good thought, I'm sure a real engineer or designer will weigh in, I'm not either but I did stay at a Holiday Express last night. 🤣

• Like 2

I agree 100% with you. I've tried this before. I've send designs to Nokta/Makro. I don't know why waterproof detectors and coils aren't aren't designed for water hunters. Look at Tesoro's 8" round coil, they are very thin.

Other coil makers at least round the edges of there coils. I taped a 1/4" 1/2 round pastic on the edge my coils. They work a lot better in the water.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 4:19 PM, Kaolin washer said:

so shy not make the shaft like a sharks tail feathering to a sharp point so you can swing the shaft and coil thru the water with ease from left to right

Well while some "knife" shaft might work great in a stagnant lake, it would not work in an ocean wave condition.
Many times, I find myself coming up or downslope and wave wash is forceful. In the case of the type you are proposing the water forces may be enough to break stuff and would be exaggerated greatly'

As one person stated the key is to decrease diameter. 

• Like 1

Here's a shaft where the lower shaft is 3/8" dia. Would be nice in the water.

Detector shaft.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rick N. MI said:

That's the Stork, isn't it? 👍

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 5:56 PM, Rick N. MI said:

Detector shaft.jpg

Till it snaps in two then the ocean guys will be calling it a pos....just sayin

strick

I haven't heard of anyone using this. I hunt fresh water lakes. I don't know if it can handle fresh water or ocean.