My Buddy Made An Incredible Find

Obviously needs to be classified. Could be worth big $$ if its anything unusual. But if just an ordinary H series  Chondrite, its worth maybe US$2500. But with its fall being witnessed, it may attract a premium price from scientific institutions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deathray said:

First off, I know this is the wrong subgroup, but I was hoping Steve could leave it for a day or 2.

My buddy Mark Dayton, got a call from his brother, about a meteor that went over Salt Lake City, Utah. We live near Sacramento, CA.  He's in a country band, and was booked for next 2 nights, but as soon as that was done, he booked a$$ to SLC. And dude found it!!! I talked to him, and the thing that I found so amazing, is the confidence. Everyone says Mark is a lucky guy, but he puts in the work. Screenshot_20220826-161503_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7c5e9d2d2f1ab92b5a8111768a233f22.jpgScreenshot_20220826-161443_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f2b573bdb48efe56879c7e3a89f2cdda.jpg

I'll give you the pleasure of posting his video as he talks about the discovery and how it went down.  Quite impress to say the least and only 5 hr drive from me.  We follow each other on FB.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aureous said:

Obviously needs to be classified. Could be worth big $$ if its anything unusual. But if just an ordinary H series  Chondrite, its worth maybe US$2500. But with its fall being witnessed, it may attract a premium price from scientific institutions.

Pretty sure it's worth more than that. Was on the news, etc.

Wow, how cool of a find! He did well.

Curious, being a fresh fall, I would have thought following sterile technique by wearing gloves and bagging it as soon as possible would have been good. Wouldn’t there have been some interest in sampling for organic compounds in it?  Being an amateur, I would have not knowing if it was necessary or not.

Thanks for sharing the story!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, deathray said:

Pretty sure it's worth more than that. Was on the news, etc.

I hope so, coz thats an amazing story and great find. US$5 per gram is usual for known H series Chondrites. But being a new fall/find and the story....well thats up to the scientists and Universities etc to determine the value. If its a Carbonaceous Chondrite, well....thats thousand$ per gram. Like I said.....needs classification. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aureous said:

I hope so, coz thats an amazing story and great find. US$5 per gram is usual for known H series Chondrites. But being a new fall/find and the story....well thats up to the scientists and Universities etc to determine the value. If its a Carbonaceous Chondrite, well....thats thousand$ per gram. Like I said.....needs classification. 

I don't want to post anything, that Mark hasn't posted online.  I don't know squat about space rocks, but Mark does, has found many before, so seeing him so ecstatic , I know it's a good one. I'm just blown away, that he had the confidence, to just haul ass up there, and then find this sucker. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Wow, how cool of a find! He did well.

Curious, being a fresh fall, I would have thought following sterile technique by wearing gloves and bagging it as soon as possible would have been good. Wouldn’t there have been some interest in sampling for organic compounds in it?  Being an amateur, I would have not knowing if it was necessary or not.

Thanks for sharing the story!

I have no idea, ha. I just wanted to post his story, cause Mark doesn't do the forums anymore, and to me, this was a crazy find.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GotAU? said:

My exact thoughts.  Seems I read many years ago that fresh falls have scientific value for similar reasons.  Maybe it had spent too much time on the earth already, although that Utah desert isn't exactly teaming with organisms (other than detectorists and the occasional meteorite hunter).  😁

Good stuff, regardless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1