Things I Don't Like About The Garrett Axiom

• The title was changed to Things I Don't Like About The Axiom - Swegin

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I like the gray and black color scheme. And hate wireless coils with a true passion!! :laugh:

ME TOO!

• Like 5

Gerry, try using some of that pipe wrap tape on the bottom and sides of the coil, it probably wouldn’t be so good for pretty pictures, but your coils will be a lot more quiet.

• Like 3

When this model was first reveled I said the two things I don't like and are going to be a problem are the use of a USB plug for charging, not because of fumbling to use it, but for Long Term Reliability.

And the lack of Bluetooth is a Marketing Mistake, simply because more and more people use headphones and other listening devises they like that are Bluetooth based, and don't want to be locked into a Garrett system, or have to have a Transmitter and adapter to go Bluetooth.  They are going to allow third party coils, but not be open to Non Garrett audio.?  Really.

I wish Garrett all the best, But think these basic mistakes will come back to haunt them.

• Like 2

That's another example of everyone having different tastes, I'd rarely ever use the wireless audio, I'd use the speaker and on the odd occasion I did use it the Garrett system would be fine as it's better than Bluetooth anyway, with the downside being limited options of headphones for it without using a receiver although that's not too bad of an option anyway.  What we do know is the speaker works great on it and nice and loud, to me that's preferred my audio option.

The aftermarket coils would mean far more to me than Bluetooth audio, I can substitute that with a Bluetooth transmitter for a few bucks, you can't substitute easy access to aftermarket coils, especially if the manufacturer is putting restrictions on the coils available from said aftermarket manufacturers.

I've never broken a USB port in my life, and I use them everyday for all sorts of things and have since USB first hit the market.  Everyone with a GPZ has been USB charging their WM12 since day one, I don't see complaints about it breaking but yes, as someone that worked at a laptop service agent I saw broken USB ports a lot, usually people forcing the plug in upside down, USB-C resolves that though.  The better option might have been the charging method the Equinox has with the magnetic USB charger though as that's sticking with the easy of use and versatility of USB while not having to plug in a plug.

The thing I don't like about the Axiom is the fact I don't have one.

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, Knomad said:

When this model was first reveled I said the two things I don't like and are going to be a problem are the use of a USB plug for charging, not because of fumbling to use it, but for Long Term Reliability.

And the lack of Bluetooth is a Marketing Mistake, simply because more and more people use headphones and other listening devises they like that are Bluetooth based, and don't want to be locked into a Garrett system, or have to have a Transmitter and adapter to go Bluetooth.  They are going to allow third party coils, but not be open to Non Garrett audio.?  Really.

I wish Garrett all the best, But think these basic mistakes will come back to haunt them.

"Standard USB has a minimum rated lifetime of 1,500 cycles of insertion and removal, the mini-USB receptacle increases this to 5,000 cycles, and the newer Micro-USB and USB-C receptacles are both designed for a minimum rated lifetime of 10,000 cycles of insertion and removal."

Standard Bluetooth is too slow, and Bluetooth aptX LL is being abandoned. So which Bluetooth are you suggesting? Just for reference, Z-Lynk has a 17ms delay - faster than can be discerned. aptX LL Bluetooth was 40ms. Average Bluetooth is around 150ms.

• Like 7

My own complaints as copied from the other thread:

It's just a solid, well behaved machine. Sometimes it seems to get a little unstable, EMI or whatever, quick reset and retune, back to business. I just spent three long days running the machine. Dug a thousand targets, including a pile of nuggets. I really like the audio, very descriptive and well modulated, great for a PI cherry picking of targets in trashy ground. They nailed the telescoping rod design. It is easy to swing, easy to use, and just works.

I guess if I have a genuine complaint it is that the Z-Lynk audio is just not up to snuff for me. Or more accurately, the Garrett MS3 headphones are not really working for me. The audio is muffled compared to my Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones, and they only have a single volume control. I have poor hearing in my right ear, so I prefer dual volume controls. The good news is the external speaker has so much excess volume that I really don't need headphones. But for when I do, my preference right now is to plug my Sun Rays into the 1/4" jack.

I did just get the WR1 Z-Lynk receiver box however, and am going to use it with my headphone plugged into it. I suspect it is the speakers in the MS3 that are my issue with lack of clarity, and that plugging my Sun Rays, or some other headphones, like my Bose earbuds, into the WR1 will give me the sharper audio I am after. Or maybe the lack of audio clarity is inherent in Z-Lynk. I doubt that, but will not know until my next outing, when I will be giving that a try. Should only be a few days at most before I report back on that.

The little USB port rubber cover seems to open on it's own while in use at times. I'm not sure what's up with that. Am I getting it up against my body somehow causing it to open? Really minor nit-noid thing, but you asked, and it did/does bug me. But may not be like that in final shipping units either, might just be my prototype. But that's how hard I have to strain to find something to bitch about. :smile:

garrett-wr1-wireless-module.jpg

• Like 5

I have heard nothing about LL Bluetooth being abandoned, I do know regular Bluetooth is getting faster, but not as fast as I think it needs to be. it would not make sense to abandon LL when Bluetooth is also used for sound with video.

Everyone has their own preferences, but when designing for The Masses, it is always best to appeal to the masses, as well as minimize potential warranty claims, especially for something vulnerable like a port that will be used nearly every outing.

BTW , The Brand Ring, Now has a Bluetooth headset that is not bone conducting nor over the ears, it actually has mini speakers that shoot sound back towards your ears, Good Sound, Very Comfortable and secure, and nothing in your ears, and is fast enough, Excellent for hot weather and snake country.  The only downside is for some reason it will pair with portable transmitters, but not to the Equinox 800 Bluetooth, maybe because it is Bluetooth 5.0 and Nox I think is 4.1.  The Ring model I believe is Mu6,  Sure beats a loud speaker attracting people.

Real world and factory reliability ratings are rarely the same, USB ports are the most or second most common failing parts of cell phones, including USB - C.

25 minutes ago, Knomad said:

I have heard nothing about LL Bluetooth being abandoned, I do know regular Bluetooth is getting faster, but not as fast as I think it needs to be. it would not make sense to abandon LL when Bluetooth is also used for sound with video.

Everyone has their own preferences, but when designing for The Masses, it is always best to appeal to the masses, as well as minimize potential warranty claims, especially for something vulnerable like a port that will be used nearly every outing.

BTW , The Brand Ring, Now has a Bluetooth headset that is not bone conducting nor over the ears, it actually has mini speakers that shoot sound back towards your ears, Good Sound, Very Comfortable and secure, and nothing in your ears, and is fast enough, Excellent for hot weather and snake country.  The only downside is for some reason it will pair with portable transmitters, but not to the Equinox 800 Bluetooth, maybe because it is Bluetooth 5.0 and Nox I think is 4.1.  The Ring model I believe is Mu6,  Sure beats a loud speaker attracting people.

Real world and factory reliability ratings are rarely the same, USB ports are the most or second most common failing parts of cell phones, including USB - C.

Well, I'd just not get an Axiom then if I were you. But yes, Qualcomm has retired aptX LL. Even then, I do agree with you that including some kind of Bluetooth option would certainly have been a plus for many people, especially if they could have sourced some of the last remaining aptX LL chips.

• The title was changed to Things I Don't Like About The Garrett Axiom