Things I Don't Like About The Garrett Axiom

6 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Steve,

I notice from the picture above you are not strapping your arm into the cuff.  That is the way I use my Equinox.  I just rest my arm against the strap.

Is that the way you use it and it balances without needing to strap?

I prefer using the arm strap out of long habit, especially with the 11” coil. It just feels more secure to me. The 11” is perfectly balanced, so there is no upward pressure via a heavy nose to hold the detector against my arm. It actually is more comfortable to go without the strap using the 13” coil for that reason.

In the photo I was rolling large rocks aside and doing some minor excavating. But mainly just moving the rocks. Lots of picking detector up and putting it back down. So I was not using the arm rest strap at the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, like I said I normally always use a detector arm strap, and religiously used headphones for decades, even in bear country. Can’t say I spend much time thinking about bears… I’m thinking about gold! Now that PI detectors finally actually have external speakers, I’m finding it more comfortable to go without headphones. But I hate any amount of wiggle when a detector is on my arm. I want it to feel like an extension of my arm. So a detector is normally firmly strapped to my arm, unless I am constantly picking it up and setting it down. If it’s on the ground more than on my arm, I’ll probably go without the arm strap.

garrett-axiom-steve-herschbach-003.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2022 at 10:46 PM, Knomad said:

When this model was first reveled I said the two things I don't like and are going to be a problem are the use of a USB plug for charging, not because of fumbling to use it, but for Long Term Reliability.

And the lack of Bluetooth is a Marketing Mistake, simply because more and more people use headphones and other listening devises they like that are Bluetooth based, and don't want to be locked into a Garrett system, or have to have a Transmitter and adapter to go Bluetooth.  They are going to allow third party coils, but not be open to Non Garrett audio.?  Really.

I wish Garrett all the best, But think these basic mistakes will come back to haunt them.

Since I play with about 10+ different detectors that use USB and I sell hundreds each year, it really has not been as bad as an issue as with our 1st cell phones.  I attribute this to the actual amount of times we use/chare our cell phones vs the use/charge of a detector.  I've sold over 400 Equinox in the last 4 yrs and only had 3 or 4 calls of folks having issues with the USB.  So I think the USB is here to stay as it really is not as bad as we may think.

I'm 100% on board with your thinking of the Bluetooth.  Well maybe the Axiom-II coming out next year will address it.

• Like 3

Yeah agree USB is here to stay, USB mini have had no trouble with, USB micro lots of trouble, its a disaster when the phone micro female plug dies and you`ve no choice but buy a new phone, USB C so far seems OK. But as per norm. I speak only of my experience. 

14 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Since I play with about 10+ different detectors that use USB and I sell hundreds each year, it really has not been as bad as an issue as with our 1st cell phones.  I attribute this to the actual amount of times we use/chare our cell phones vs the use/charge of a detector.  I've sold over 400 Equinox in the last 4 yrs and only had 3 or 4 calls of folks having issues with the USB.  So I think the USB is here to stay as it really is not as bad as we may think.

I'm 100% on board with your thinking of the Bluetooth.  Well maybe the Axiom-II coming out next year will address it.

A lot of time with cell phones anyways the USB connector is actually fine they just tend to collect pocket lint and it blocks the connection, a sewing needle reaches in and you can pull out a surprising amount of pocket lint, then they work again. 

• Like 2

Garrett are just staying ahead of the game, Europe is mandating USB-C be the standard charging port for laptops and phones etc so by Garrett adopting USB-C they're already there.  I think it's a very wise decision.

https://theconversation.com/new-usb-c-charger-rule-shows-how-eu-regulators-make-decisions-for-the-world-184763

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 people have replied on the thread. Two of them actually own and have extensively used the Axiom as field testers and consultants for Garrett. The fact that they are willing to go right ahead and start a topic like this and be very honest about likes and dislikes before this detector is released says a lot about their integrity and that they are not being constrained by Garrett. The issues they are noticing are way less than minor so far and aren't any different than what happens on any PI or super sensitive VLF that also has wireless audio and internal rechargeable batteries.....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2022 at 6:31 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Swegin asked and I applaud him for doing so.  What things I don't like.

Yes there are a few things I don't care for but also realize of the probably 30+ detectors I have recovered gold with, I have yet to find one I totally like for every reason.

I'm not a fan of those USB plugs and trying to get the cable in the little slot.  The age my eyeballs are, I have to go and find my glasses to get it right.

I'm not a fan of cable cords and feel if XP can get rid of them, then why can't Minelab and Garrett?  It could be because of it being a PI, I'm not sure.

I don't like having to use Garrett's Z Lynk wireless in todays modern electronic age.  Why can't I use any wireless?

I hate the hollow sound of the coils and the hard plastic rubbing the ground.  It makes 2 to 3 x the amount of noise.  I prefer a softer plastic like the other models and brands use.  Sure we wear them out sooner, but at least I can hear the whisper signals better.  I honestly feel 75% of the folks who gold hunt are walking over weak signals and not even realizing it.

Still wishing for a better Iron Identification system on a PI, but it's what it is.  Small iron like boot nails will not DISC out (on purpose so not to miss small gold).  Large iron will identify better than small, but even large iron at depth is an issue.  I also found out the hard way and was not too excited...if the ID goes silent across a target, it does not mean it's iron.  So a piece of gold will just not make a response at all.  Iron will produce the grunt sound.  I realize most folks do not use Iron ID and I'm one of those strange ducks that does.  But I only use it in certain areas and play the odds.

Me, I personally don't like the dull gray coils as it does not help when taking pictures.  Now I know Garrett Engineers could care less, but the marketing guys sure would like something different.

I wish the Axiom would allow me to carry my cell phone and do video without EMI issues.  All bigger detectors are like this, even many of the VLF's out there.

I wish the Axiom was set a different frequency level of my Garrett Carrott pin pointer.  I found out real fast like, they can not be very close when both turned on.

Engineers will never totally please me with a detector as the way my mind thinks.  Let me test it and I'll tell you ways to make it better.  The problem with my thinking is not always what's best for the masses.  I'm one of a few and detectors are usually sold for the majority.  Prime example.  The GM-1000 is a great selling VLF Gold Detector and I sell it more than most others, as it's dummy proof.  I myself prefer the EQ-800 as it allows me more control and provides me with more information and better identification.  But as I said, the masses prefer the GM-1000.  No big deal.

I do feel the Axiom runs smoother than many PI's out there and also has greater sensitivity to smaller gold and specimens.  I also prefer the options of more tuning than a some of the others.

Have I had some of the EMI issues Steve mentions.  On a rare occasion and I have noticed the same on some of the recent high end machines the last few years and even to the point of some VLF's on certain soils.  Ambiant air temperature is a big facture to a smoother running detector.  Back when I was crazy about gold and Rye Patch was semi virgin (half ounce days were common & occasional 1 ounce days), I was going 12 months of the year.  July/Aug it would get so hot, I started detecting more at night.  I also found the detectors to run more smooth and retain a quieter Threshold.  I then also noticed that mornings were better than mid days and adjusted my detecting hours.  Atoms (energy and electricity) in the air actually mask a little bit of performance of the detector.  

When using the Axiom I noticed the hottest part of the day at a couple sites produced more Noise Canceling than other sites and or temperatures.  Again, the same thing I noticed on other big machines.

What I like and dislike might be, could be and should be different than what others say.  We hunt different areas, states and kinds of gold.  Our knowledge and skill levels are also never going to be the same.  I don't know if there are any other Field Testers of the Axion in the US, other than Steve H and my staff/I.  I do wish they would have more testers as well in other states, as that is a bigger picture to go from. Yes, the Axiom has things I don't like, but to tell you the honest to gods truth.  It's a much better detector that what I initially was expecting to be testing.  Have to give them credit as Garrett really did make a great move and option.  But waits is even more impressive (actually I expected that) was all of this at the price point vs the competition.

SAx4.jpg

Got a question that hopefully you or Steve can answer and excuse me if someone already asked and I missed it....

I'm almost 6'3" tall and like to set up my detectors a little longer than most do. For example on my GPZ 7000 I swapped out the upper shaft for the CTX 3030's, which added another 4" overall to the stock GPZ. That really helped balance out the machine for me, which in turn saved my back when swinging that beast all day.

How does the Axiom fair for your taller than average person? Especially, with the different coil sizes/ weights.

9 hours ago, Deep Beeps said:

Got a question that hopefully you or Steve can answer and excuse me if someone already asked and I missed it....

I'm almost 6'3" tall and like to set up my detectors a little longer than most do. For example on my GPZ 7000 I swapped out the upper shaft for the CTX 3030's, which added another 4" overall to the stock GPZ. That really helped balance out the machine for me, which in turn saved my back when swinging that beast all day.

How does the Axiom fair for your taller than average person? Especially, with the different coil sizes/ weights.

Me, as a guy who's 6' 2" or 6' 1" depending on who measures me at the VA = Call it 6" 1 & 1/2".  I have never had issues with the GPZ-7000 or the Axiom.  In fact when doing our Field Training I see many folks extending their detector shafts all the way out so they can get great big arching swings from Left to Right and covering most ground.  That's actually not how we like to train customers.  The farther out a coil, the more strain on one's back, neck shoulders and as we age, who wants to be adding more soreness from a hunt.  When standing straight up and proper posture, the coil on most detectors should be approx 12" to 18" in front of you.  I realize some coils that are large ellipticals (such as the 24" Ellip) are harder to work that way.

My Axiom and GPZ-7000 are almost exactly the same length when fully extended and each of them is way to long.  My preferred shaft setting has 4" to spare on both machines.  Heck the 7000 can easily hurt someone while trying to swing the stock coil for a day when all the way out.  You'll be so much more happy with the design and massive weight reduction of the Axiom, if that's how you prefer to swing.

I feel for those who are 6' 6" or less should not have any issues with either detector if adjusted properly.  Now I can't change the way old salty folks have been swinging their coils for all these years, but I can help the newer folks who don't know.  As for you Deep Beeps, if you feel the need to have extender on your 7, then I assume you'll be wanting to do the same with the Axiom as again, they are almost identical in length.

Realize the majority of metal detectors are built for the average person who would be using such device and to also keep the weight down, they don't want the majority of folks swinging the extra weight just to help a few.  It's totally understandable as well.

Luckily for those really tall folks and or those who insist to extended their reaches beyond the recommendations, most of you in this hobby have already learned to accept that you'll be getting a longer shaft.  Another good bit is the aftermarket companies are always trying to find a fix for those few.

Again, the manufactures are listening to what most of us ask for and so keeping the weight down is most important.  Also trying to build the correct length for the better part of the folks is most important.  I know this may not be the answer you want to hear, but at least it's accurate.  In no way would I disc the owning of an Axiom because of the length.  After all, when comparing the Ax to the Zed while swinging at full length, it's night and day difference in comfort, I promise.

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Things I Don't Like About The Garrett Axiom