Are Legend, Deus II & Manticore, Going To Impact Tarsacci?

On 8/31/2022 at 2:51 PM, Denny said:

Tarsacci goes deep but audio is terrible.  
Once had a issue where I could not turn off machine and had issues with machine resetting itself.  Sent back to Dimitar to get it checked. He said he found nothing wrong.   Machine still reset itself on one occasion when I got it back.    Not worth the $1500 price I paid.   I now use the Deus2 and finding more success with it compared to tarsacci which started out great but faded fast. 
Yes, XP Deus2, legend and Manticore  will slow sales of Tarsacci.

Denny ….it sound like an issue me and Cliff had initially.   It’s not making contact.  Remove the screw to the plate and put a thin SS washer behind it.  It didn’t help when someone released a video with more standard tones….. I think we all liked them MUCH better.  

to answer Steve’s question…. absolutely.  It’s real competitive with all the U-Tubers/influencers who wants to be the first to introduce a new machine.  New machines is like chum to sharks.  Right now …. There are some very good choices for someone wanting a multi use machine ….that may do other types of hunting only occasionally but like me needs a good niche machine as well.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

This is an old thread now, but still relevant. The criticisms continue to be true. It truly is a niche detector, and definitely not for everyone. Not even for most. The silence is deafening from Tarsacci, but the few diehard users left are long used to that.

Technology marches on. Those new detectors mentioned, and some newer and not mentioned along with more to come seem to have all but completely silenced conversation on this detector. A sad thing for this old diehard. My plan of action is to use it till it drops until or unless something that does what it does better than it does comes along.

It is a niche detector for sure, no way around that. For me, it has made all the difference in my little niche. Probably there are newer, better, and certainly cheaper solutions to what I like to do, but this is what I have and it works better than anything I had before for this one little thing. A person gets used to the little things that put people off about this detector, it really grew on me over the last few years.

What has become of this company? Impossible to tell if it is a viable company that is building a better mousetrap because there is no way to get information, or any signs of life at all. Certainly not much to inspire confidence, and it is hard to see how it will inspire much in new purchasers when the same money will buy so much more versatility and performance. Still, it works for me and has never let me down. 

The Tarsacci forum had a thread about Dimitar wanting suggestions for improvement, and he got some good ones. Got the impression something new was being built. That was a while ago now. Dimitar said on a video that he was going to build a gold machine. Even longer ago now. He could be doing these things right this moment, no way to know. It is sort of past the point of waiting for certainly, at least for almost anyone but the most devoted Tarsacci diehard.

It is sort of like Tesoro in a way. They got quieter and quieter, then one day they just stopped answering the phone.  Just sad. 

7 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Can you elaborate on this?  Thanks.

I can’t speak for him but my buddy bought one just for relic hunting in hot dirt here in the Calif foothills. Couple years later he was wanting to sell it I don’t remember the reason..he may still have it. I got to play with it a bit..hit deeper easily over the Nox where we were testing it but I just could not get past the tones,

strick

On 8/28/2022 at 1:55 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Seems like the Tarsacci is running out of steam in the face of all the new competition. Yeah, I know some of you guys love them. But what buzz they had seems to be about gone.

Thoughts?

I spent most of my dig time trying to find the right combination of settings.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Can you elaborate on this?  Thanks.

I hunt recent drops in the busiest modern sites I can find. The competition here is fierce so I hunt sites that have some sort of challenge that keeps them from the worst of that hunting pressure. Mostly that means heavy junk. 

Tarsacci is very good at ignoring iron and small aluminum while giving very good tone on the round objects that I am after. That is it’s chief advantage for me. I have posted many times on the Tarsacci forum about exactly how I do this if it is of interest. I find it a simple machine to use that does not need a lot of fussing for what I do, but there is a little learning curve up front simply because it is different from what we have been using for so many years.

It is a niche that is easy and nearby. The unmasking ability of this detector has been the chief value to me for what I do. I still dig a lot of pull tabs, but I do not dig very deep most of the time.

1 hour ago, Geezer said:

I hunt recent drops in the busiest modern sites I can find. The competition here is fierce so I hunt sites that have some sort of challenge that keeps them from the worst of that hunting pressure. Mostly that means heavy junk. 

Tarsacci is very good at ignoring iron and small aluminum while giving very good tone on the round objects that I am after. That is it’s chief advantage for me. I have posted many times on the Tarsacci forum about exactly how I do this if it is of interest. I find it a simple machine to use that does not need a lot of fussing for what I do, but there is a little learning curve up front simply because it is different from what we have been using for so many years.

It is a niche that is easy and nearby. The unmasking ability of this detector has been the chief value to me for what I do. I still dig a lot of pull tabs, but I do not dig very deep most of the time.

Owning a George's Tarsacci for the last two years, a site with a ton of modern aluminum junk would be the last place I would use it, but I think I know what you are driving at if you are just after high conductors.  I have held on to it mainly because it is the deepest non-PI I have ever used in hot Culpeper dirt.  If there is a target in hot dirt in the first 10 to 12 inches, you will know it but you won't know if it's ferrous or non-ferrous until it gets to within about 8 inches max.  But just a nightmare to run for mid-conductive relics in mid-conductive trash because you are basically limited to one mid-tone and very unstable TIDs.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Owning a George's Tarsacci for the last two years, a site with a ton of modern aluminum junk would be the last place I would use it, but I think I know what you are driving at if you are just after high conductors.  I have held on to it mainly because it is the deepest non-PI I have ever used in hot Culpeper dirt.  If there is a target in hot dirt in the first 10 to 12 inches, you will know it but you won't know if it's ferrous or non-ferrous until it gets to within about 8 inches max.  But just a nightmare to run for mid-conductive relics in mid-conductive trash because you are basically limited to one mid-tone and very unstable TIDs.

Everything you say is of course quite correct. I use mine differently is all. 

I am hunting recent drops so only the top 2-3” is of interest usually. I am using the unique features of the MDT to ignore everything below that to the greatest extent possible. I pop everything with a dandelion popper, and use a pinpointer and brass probe to make it as easy as can be.  I hunt manicured ground and am seldom bothered by city workers because I do not carry a shovel or digger aside from that, and there is no trace I have even been there usually.

I use the larger round coil to almost bulldoze through the junk, including modern aluminum.  High tones get dug, but a lot of mid tones too. This detector will not ignore pull tabs to any extent without losing gold rings so I dig a fair bit of those, just not deep ones. What I do with signals that cannot be ignored is listen to the quality of the tone.

The TID numbers of the signals displayed is not reliable, and the tones in general on the MDT drive a lot of people nuts, but a person gets used to that after a while. The mixed mode seems to give me the best information and it is all pretty much ear hunting for me once the machine is set.

Places I hunt usually have the detector sounding off almost continuously,  but the good tones I like to dig seem to come through anyway. I am not at all after high conductors exclusively, it is more correct to say I am after round things that throw good tones. Pull tabs are the downside of that approach, but where there are a lot of them is where I tend to do the best. I have not found a way or a detector that would allow me to ignore them without the risk of losing gold rings. If anyone knows how, please share.

I think niche to me means those who have kept them like me aren’t trying to use them as a multi use machine.  I’m a water hunter who cranks it up and used AM.  I don’t have any others detectors now because I don’t feel there is a better water machine for how I hunt…. right now.  If I was strictly a dry sand hunter I’d like pick up another machine.  I use the 12” coil for depth…. But the 11” is quieter in the water.   Water testing for depth isn’t easy….. and sometimes there just plain isn’t anything in that pushed up sand.   I’m watching the manticore as a possible backup…. But it’s been said this isn’t a flagship replacement.  I’m also wanting to see if it’s worth the money in the water.  I noticed Tom D has mentioned the MDT when comparing certain aspects of it.   The machine likes round.  I did find more micro gold with the Nox in the dry sand …. But a lot of tiny trash.  Most people down here rather they know it or not are ring hunting….. most of the time they are trying to cover to much beach so technique suffers.  No I’m not a fan of the tones nor the digital readout.  I do wish we knew what Demitar is working on.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Owning a George's Tarsacci for the last two years, a site with a ton of modern aluminum junk would be the last place I would use it,

1 hour ago, dewcon4414 said:

If I was strictly a dry sand hunter I’d like pick up another machine.

You both make excellent points. If you were to hunt like I do, what might you use instead? There are so many new detectors out now I find it hard to keep up with what is good and what is hype.