Gpx6000 Users, What Aftermarket Wireless Headphones Etc Do You Use?

Although I love the supplied wireless APTX headphones, I was wondering if anyone has experience with noise cancelling headphones on the 6000 or if anyone has success with actual, real 'low latency' performance with mini in-ear sports earphones? I could spend big $$ trialing lots of various brands, models etc but might be worth asking first lol. I'm mainly thinking about having the noise cancellation ability to reduce the coil scraping noise, twigs snapping etc and solely concentrating on the audio signals.

Hi Aureous. 

Not quite what you are asking for but this may be a cheaper option for you.  If you already have or are willing to get a Low Latency BT receiver (quite small and cheap) and then plug that into some Aldi Bauhn Noise Cancelling headphones that would probably be under $100.  I purchased some of the Bauhn headphones on Reg Wilson's recommendation and the noise cancelling feature worked great.   Unfortunately I let them go when I sold my QED early last year.  

EDIT:  One thing I should mention.  Once you plug in the little cable between the receiver and the headphones the volume control of the headphones cuts out.  Same with a lot of headphones and it just means you have to then use the detector volume. 

Not sure if you are near or know Reg but I'm sure he would still have his and might let you try them?  

Might be a cheaper option than the uber expensive several hundred dollar jobs that I think are not going to be Low latency anyway.   

Hope that helps.   

• Like 1

I've become very wary of plug-in receivers etc coz Ive never found one thats actually fast. This is why the supplied ML headphones surprised me so much....coz they actually work lol. 1st time I've ever seen something that IS truly low latency. Surely there must be something out there that's equally as fast but with the noise cancelling ability included????

• Like 1

atpX LL the 6000 uses is discontinued, you will struggle to find anything made with it now so if you do they'll be older model headphones.   There was never even many products made with it, in it's peak there was 48 options.

This works well with the GPX 6000, the Quest Wirefree mate

https://phasetechnical.com.au/product/quest-wirefree-mate-kit/

Then use whatever headphones you want by plugging them into the receiver or you could buy the version that's completely wireless as it comes with compatible headphones.

https://phasetechnical.com.au/product/quest-wirefree-pro-headphones/

The other great alternative obviously is the Garrett Z-Lynk

I hear people complain about the Axiom not having Bluetooth, the ironic thing is there are very few Bluetooth Low Latency devices available and the ones that exist are old models on their way out so you're stuck with very limited headphone options anyway if you want to take advantage of low latency, so using these 2.4GHz wireless options is likely to be the norm for anyone that doesn't want to use factory supplied headphones in the future on these detectors anyway unless they bought some aftermarket LL ones before they disappear from the shelves.

Even the Avantree Torus over the neck speaker is an option but it suffers from the flaw that LL was discontinued because of, audio drop outs and cracking sound due to the latency being so low any interference causes problems.  These 2.4GHz systems don't suffer the same from interference problems.

You can go to the Qualcomm website and see every headphone ever licensed to use aptX Low latency.  There was only 48 to choose from with most discontinued but there must be some that never made that list as the ML100's aren't on there when the ML80's are, probably as they were never intended to be a retail product I guess.

https://www.aptx.com/product-listing?product_category=7&aptx_type=3&sort_by=created&sort_order=DESC

• Like 1

Thanks Simon, there's some good info there. Appreciate it...

Not quite Noise Cancelling, more Noise Blocking being a full cup headphone, the Quest WireFree Pro is also available in a Low Latency BT version, which will pair straight up to the 6000. They are a little cheaper as they don't come with a transmitter. 

http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/quest-wirefree-pro-low-latency-bluetooth/

• Like 2

Whats the speed like Nenad? True LL like the supplied ML headphones or a bit less???

I use an Avantree Torus and really like it. There have been occasional dropouts, but they happen so  seldomely and last so quick that I never thought it was an issue.  I also experienced a rapid pulsing interference once when a Zed was turned on near me.  I never had this happen though when turning it on near a Zed that was already running.

As for using noise cancelling headphones, is that for wind noise?  I know it’s a personal choice, and for me just wearing headphones bothers me outdoors, but I would be doubly worried about not hearing noises like someone yelling “look out!”, horns, rattling, growls, footsteps or other warning or danger sounds while wearing noise canceling headphones outdoors.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GotAU? said:

As for using noise cancelling headphones, is that for wind noise?

Sort of....wind in the trees, scraping of the coil on the ground, twigs snapping underfoot.....all that. I've been getting some low EMI days and with my semi-decent 11" ML mono coil, I find that I can actually run the 6000 in Auto 1 and sometimes Auto 2. With this high gain setting, the tiny whisper signals come thru and this results in more gold (and junk). If I can eliminate most of the ambient noise around me, I can concentrate on these signals better. I can only imagine how much better it will be with a proper made coil.....I made the decision to pre-pay for an NF 12x7 Xceed. I sincerely hope it doesn't become a Christmas present to myself :unsure:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Aureous said:

Sort of....wind in the trees, scraping of the coil on the ground, twigs snapping underfoot.....all that. I've been getting some low EMI days and with my semi-decent 11" ML mono coil, I find that I can actually run the 6000 in Auto 1 and sometimes Auto 2. With this high gain setting, the tiny whisper signals come thru and this results in more gold (and junk). If I can eliminate most of the ambient noise around me, I can concentrate on these signals better. I can only imagine how much better it will be with a proper made coil.....I made the decision to pre-pay for an NF 12x7 Xceed. I sincerely hope it doesn't become a Christmas present to myself :unsure:

I understand regarding distracting noises.  I’ve been pushing pipe wrap tape a lot around here- try some on the bottom of your coils, it works really well to dampen the sounds the 6k coils make when hitting the ground.

• Like 1