One Detector For All Things

Many thanks once again for your time and thought.   

Terry

• Like 1

Many thanks once again for your time and thought.   

Terry

Argyle,

Many thanks Mate.   

3 hours ago, Roughwater said:

Really good to know.  Do you run it a lot in all metal mode?  

Also I see your detector has heat shrink wrap tubing on it.  You must not plan to remove that big coil for a while?

The All Metal Mode on the XTerra is actually a discrimination mode that merely 'accepts' all metal, and will give you both numerical and the tonage you have chosen ie: 2 tone, 3, 4, or Multitone for each segment the target you hit falls into.

One reason I love these units so much, especially for coinage, is the way these detectors gauge a coin, especially on-edge coinage, with such precision and nice to the hearing of tone. Along with their ability to judge junk.

The earlier range of 30, 50 and 70 were much more precise numerically regarding non-ferrous targets, and they nearly always presented you with a jumping ID to judge ferrous hits.

Slanted coinage would only jump one segment away.

Hence the reason a lot of users preferred the early range.

Tonal wise, the later range 305 (now discontinued but were the best bang for buck detector ever made) 505 and 705, with their more refined processor and more precise tonal quality for judgement, are a leap in front.

The second all metal mode on the 705 is what they called Prospecting Mode. But this is still processed very slight form of disc mode, even with iron mask at 0.

The Pure All Metal Mode I was referring to is on all three machines. It's simply the ground balance push pad that allows you to manually set your ground balance. Once activated, you go through your routine of pumping your coil to hit the - and + pads to achieve a non-wavering sound for perfect balance on that spot.

It's a pure and open mode that carries the transmit and receive signal to the furtherest reaches of the detectors power.

I merely played around with modulation pitch changes via mods ran through the headphone output, to replace both ground noise and metallic target responses from it's output to my liking, and to put it to good uses for what I wanted both for general hunting and gold detecting on hot ground.

• Like 2

This is one very misleading hobby because every company has a new term for old technology, Gain and Volume are two classic words that are used to describe many things then we have mix mode audio or all metal tone or even Third Tone, They got more names than Elizabeth Taylor.

john

4 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I really wish manufacturers would quit calling disc modes set to accept all targets the all metal mode. It has people buying detectors thinking they are getting true threshold based all metal modes when they are not.

I get caught out by that myself Steve.

You know when a manufacturer announces a new model, and refers to the 5 modes of operation, including all-metal. Plus they mention Threshold ...so naturally I automatically think 'you beauty, here's a new machine to try.

Only to find out the all metal is a processed disc mode, and the threshold is merely a blanking of a non-true threshold over a rejected target.

I wonder, years after Minelab first put out the true automatic ground balance and tracking, how many guys bought an Auto Ground Balance unit, only to discover it's that particular manufacturers nickname for fixed pre-set ground balance.

• Like 3

Wow, more than I would have ever learned about the x-70 if I had to figure it out on my own. The 70 was my first dip in the digital pool. Mostly, I used it for parks and beaches...when I did use it for nugget hunting it found some very small bits. All in all a fine toy for me...I may have to repossess it from my son...he is too busy working to have fun.

thanks for the in-depth replies, Argyle!

fred

• Like 1

19 hours ago, argyle said:

I use cohesive horse bandages Terry, on all my units. They only adhere to themselves and have a nice spongy grip.

I have to get some of those cohesive Horse bandages.  I like the way they keep the coil from flopping around and the spongy texture has to be a nice bonus.  It reminds me of a waterproof material I sometimes used to wrap around outdoor antenna cable fittings but wasn't near as wide as the bandages.  

My computer was freezing up yesterday thus the repeat posts. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fredmason said:

Wow, more than I would have ever learned about the x-70 if I had to figure it out on my own. The 70 was my first dip in the digital pool. Mostly, I used it for parks and beaches...when I did use it for nugget hunting it found some very small bits. All in all a fine toy for me...I may have to repossess it from my son...he is too busy working to have fun.

thanks for the in-depth replies, Argyle!

fred

No worries...

Good to hear your old Xt 70 is still in the family anyway Fred.

Funny thing about XTerra owners, and probably all makes I guess, is that everyone across the board works out little secrets with them, depending on the modes they run and the freq of the coil they favour.

And with all the digital units on offer nowdays, you get the choice of running full automatic and let the unit do it for you, or you can take complete control back off it and run your own way.