One Detector For All Things

40 minutes ago, Roughwater said:

I have to get some of those cohesive Horse bandages.  I like the way they keep the coil from flopping around and the spongy texture has to be a nice bonus.  It reminds me of a waterproof material I sometimes used to wrap around outdoor antenna cable fittings but wasn't near as wide as the bandages.  

My computer was freezing up yesterday thus the repeat posts. 

Their really good Terry. Protects coil leads and leads along the shaft like Amp to control box ect.

They last about a month then look pretty ratty.

I stick an eight inch long, quarter inch thick self adhesive rubber at the even-balance section of the shafts too. Just for extra comfort while the detector is shouldered for hiking in and out, and comfort carrying it one handed.

Ha ...my phone sent twenty or so of the same texts to my brother last week...

When I ran the original X-terra 70 I was surprised at the amount of nulling of the threshold when using the all metal 2 tone mode.  At times it was constantly in a null from the iron.  Now I have hunted with a friend that used the Sovereign and borrowing a trick from that I would notch out the iron zone that was registering the most hits on the meter and then adjust the sensitivity accordingly.  Lowering sensitivity reduced the nulling dramatically and allowed better response to non-ferrous targets.

Tom

• Like 1

I want to thank all of you that contributed to this thread.  Ultimately I decided as many of you already know there is no detector that does it all well.  I basically knew that but hoped there was something out there that would be a good back up for my GPX at finding gold as well as work decent at the beach.  If I had lived in Gold country I probably wouldn't worry about the beach but I live much much closer to the beach than any gold fields.  I think some VLF detectors might work Ok at my beach but then there is the problem with the accidental dunk or splash.  The excal would be good but kinda unhandy on land, The several BBS/FBS machines would be good but not waterproof and if I'm at the beach I gotta get in the water.  So it kept always coming back to the CTX3030.  I knew that would probably be the ticket for the beach but so expensive!  But long story short, short of any financial disaster I'm going to bite the bullet and get a 3030.  Getting a 3030 would fill my beach detecting requirement perfectly as well as be good for coin and relic too just not so much as a gold detector.  Since the 3030 would fill all my other detecting needs it left me open to buy a more dedicated VLF gold detecting machine.  So when a like new Minelab Eureka gold detector popped up out of no where real cheap I jumped at it even though it was never previously on my radar. There were many detectors out there that were hard to choose between , like the MXT, The gold Racer, the 705 Gold Pack, even the Racer 2 was looking pretty good and any of them I would be happy with I'm sure.  

But with the combo of the GPX 5000, the CTX 3030 and the Eureka Gold I feel I will be well set for any type of detecting for a good while.

If One day they come out with a PI detector that discriminates as well as the best VLF, I think you would have your one detector for all things, but that day ain't here yet.  

Terry  

• Like 2

Here are my 2 detectors thus far with one with one more detector to go and 2 or more coils to go.  The GPX 5000 and the Eureka Gold.  

Minelab Eureka Gold 1.JPG

Eureka and GPX5000.JPG

SAM_4152.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fredmason said:

that is an excellent duo...what will the trio be?

Fred, Unless I start thinking too much again, the third detector will be the CTX 3030.  I figured the 3030 would cover most everything else I want to do detecting wise pretty well.  If I get lucky and find a nice ring for my wife before I head west she might even still be around when I get back. Maybe?  :rolleyes: So much for the title of this thread "one detector for all things" LOL

• Like 2

I always wanted to buy the Eureka Gold but my dealer said it was ****  and so I never managed to get one, My plan was to keep the Musketeer Advantage, and the Sovereign GT and get the Eureka Gold, Shame really because I liked everything about that machine but they would not order me One.

john

3 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

Shame really because I liked everything about that machine but they would not order me One.

I would have fired my dealer or found a different one.  But actually the dealer I have I know I wouldn't fire but I do think there is a chance he might have recommended something else.  But once you make your bed you gotta sleep in it.  I think if I make the best of the Eureka I'll be OK and I think you would have too John but the MXT as you know is one great machine.  It's one that stayed till the end as one of my choices.  Had one popped up like new at 435 shipped like the Eureka did it would be hanging in my hobby room right now.  But the 3 frequency option did help tip the scale.  I had it outside to day for just a few minutes after work just to get a feel for it.  So far so good.  

14 hours ago, fredmason said:

btw, do not underestimate the abilities of the stock commander coils!

Thanks Fred, I will heed that recommendation.  My favorite coil with my 3500 was the 8" commander.  

Terry

• Like 1