One Detector For All Things

35 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

Terry you got a 5k so that tells me you love the yellow metal, and that is a huge investment So next I would be looking at a machine that can find the Gold that the 5k can't see, I am not saying buy a GMT or an MXT But just as an example do you want to find the Tiny Gold=GMT or do you want to find the Gold jewellery in parks and beaches=MXT Brand is not important,,, But to make the journey seemless from Nuggets to specks that is the sort of setup you need.

Steve has the GPZ and the Racer 2 and the Gold Racer, I have  the GMT then the MXT AP and them the TDI SL,, So regardless of the Brands we all tend to build a complete spectrum with our machine from fine Gold to HD bad ground machines and then we tend to worry about beach machines as an added extra, Others may put their beach machine top of the list, But seeing as you have a 5k it's not hard to guess whats on your mind, lol

I hope this helps mate, because it is very easy to get side tracked But what I would say is grab your choice of low frequency machines next whether it is the Relic, F75 you name it what ever because then you have a lot of bases covered from small Gold and Jewellery, Coins etc and your Beach work then that leves the Fine Gold machine to get when you find one you like.

John 

Here he says it exactly: A complete spectrum. For what you do the spectrum would be different than anyone else, but that is what clicks with me as I look to put together my own spectrum for what I want to do.

As an addition, the CTX is not really hard to handle at all. Confusing at times trying to figure out how to get it to do what it will, mostly finding where the controls are located, but once you play with it for a while it is not hard. The Andy Sabisch book is helpful.

It taint' a gunna' happen. You can kid of coin and relic hunt with a PI and a small DD coil if you pick the right spot and you can of nugget hunt with a VLF If you aren't concerned with depth-again by picking the right situation. I just don't know if a detector that does both well exists.

However- I would like to take my Mercedes roadster and combine it with my old Jeep. It will be a CJSL but I would probably ruin the best features of both.

Buying one of each type of detector would be your best spent money- even if your budget is tight.

2 cents please.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SLGuin said:

Terry you got a 5k so that tells me you love the yellow metal, and that is a huge investment So next I would be looking at a machine that can find the Gold that the 5k can't see,

Actually John said the above but he's totally right.  I really do love the yellow metal.  Bad thing is that I live less than 200 miles from the beach and close to 2000 miles from any gold field so I probably should have my priority set more for beach detecting as it's so much more accessible.  Sadly, I don't look forward to the beach near as much as I do going out west.  I think if I get a good beach machine though that could change some.  Also, I won't be going west till sometime after Mid June but I will be at the beach before that so I will need a beach detector before anything else.  

My wife isn't real understanding about such things as me buying another detector let alone 2 more.  I did have a thought though.  Maybe I could buy her a nice Jewelry item and bury it in the yard.  Then set a detector up, let her know I got her something and point her in the general direction and let her find it and dig it up?  I am thinking that might help my cause?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roughwater said:

Thanks John, this just the kind of info I'm looking for.  Much appreciated. 

As to a gold machine I do have a GPX 5000 so part of my gold needs are covered already.  

I like your suggested detectors for gold for sure but not sure any cover the beach detecting, UNLESS, I can maybe put a large coil on say a MXT or a Racer 2 and get near the depth of a Multifrequency machine at my local beaches in NC.  I understand they are not particularly mineralized but are certainly salt water.  So maybe that would work but not sure?  Wish I could rent one and run down to the beach as I certainly would.    

My need for a second machine needs to work for the beach and if used for prospecting needs to allow me to not have to dig a lot of trash.  My need for a beach machine kinda complicates the issue.  I had a thought to get older used Quattro for the beach but some I trust suggested a Safari or Etrac would work much better but also more dollars. So instead of a Minelab I thought maybe the V3I might be a usable substitute and save me money by not having to buy a 3rd detector though it would not be the perfect gold detector.

I guess I could follow GLGuin's lead and get me a Gold detector that can also handle mild salt beaches and look for the little gold items that are missed by the other machines.  Don't know what kind of depth I would get but if I had a gold machine already but I would give it a whirl. 

Like I said I don't see the V3I as a great gold machine but I couldn't see in my mind anything better for the money without having to buy that 3rd machine.  

Terry No doubt you have the best PI out there (GPZ is not a PI) so that's the painful side of things taken care of

Non metered machines

Number one being the Gold Bug II that's a fact and now it has an apprentice being the AU finder ?? from Nokta

Metered machines well you have the GMT that has some serious history, But Now Makro has given us the Gold Racer and what we have all been asking for with a full disc setup with tons of info and it has the most beautiful tone when it beeps on a target, Not Raspy Hornets in ya headphones and the best part is Makro actually cared enough to Ask us what we would like to see and then they made it,

Your choices should be about the features you like and not restricted by Brand Loyalty, and the same applies to the VLF you choose, I love the machines I got but I feel we have to take notice of companies like Nokta/Makro because they took notice of us and without a big fuss and now we have some of the finest machines ever made.

John

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

t I feel we have to take notice of companies like Nokta/Makro because they took notice of us and without a big fuss and now we have some of the finest machines ever made.

John

Totally agree John about the Nokta/Makro folks.  

Roughwater;  back to your original post/question:  I own 9 detectors and detect for gold in my home state of Colorado, dry sand beaches on both the east and west coast of the U.S., beaches in Mexico, and lots of green grass parks in between (probing only).  If my wife said to get rid of all my detectors except one I would keep my trusty MXT along with these 3 coils (6X10DD, 4X6 Shooter, and 950 Concentric).  Although you didn't ask, my second choice would be my XP Deus.  Sure had fun in Colchester, England last year with it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, walkerrj said:

If my wife said to get rid of all my detectors except one I would keep my trusty MXT along with these 3 coils (6X10DD, 4X6 Shooter, and 950 Concentric).

You must love your wife a lot!  I think some would say "Bye Honey".  :biggrin: 

Seriously though that's a powerful statement.  I know someone else at this site would would probably say the same thing.  It's definitely a tried and true machine.  What do you think about the sensitivity of the MXT to small nuggets and it's ability to be used as a beach detector or have you tried using yours at the beach?  What detector do you mostly use at the beach?  

Thanks for your opinion.

Terry

45 minutes ago, Roughwater said:

Actually John said the above but he's totally right.  I really do love the yellow metal.  Bad thing is that I live less than 200 miles from the beach and close to 2000 miles from any gold field so I probably should have my priority set more for beach detecting as it's so much more accessible.  Sadly, I don't look forward to the beach near as much as I do going out west.  I think if I get a good beach machine though that could change some.  Also, I won't be going west till sometime after Mid June but I will be at the beach before that so I will need a beach detector before anything else.  

My wife isn't real understanding about such things as me buying another detector let alone 2 more.  I did have a thought though.  Maybe I could buy her a nice Jewelry item and bury it in the yard.  Then set a detector up, let her know I got her something and point her in the general direction and let her find it and dig it up?  I am thinking that might help my cause?  

So you live 200 hundred miles from the beach and two thousand from the goldfields you love. I definitely think you should buy the second detector that would work on the ground that is where you live. Now I hear good things about how fun hunting micro gold jewelry is, I hear good things about the Makro Gold Racer for that, they must have a totlot or volleyball court closer than 200 miles. With the gas money you save you can buy your wife lots of stuff. I bet she would love a vacation. You could take her to someplace nice like an Alaskan camping trip....

4 minutes ago, SLGuin said:

So you live 200 hundred miles from the beach and two thousand from the goldfields you love. I definitely think you should buy the second detector that would work on the ground that is where you live. Now I hear good things about how fun hunting micro gold jewelry is, I hear good things about the Makro Gold Racer for that, they must have a totlot or volleyball court closer than 200 miles. With the gas money you save you can buy your wife lots of stuff. I bet she would love a vacation. You could take her to someplace nice like an Alaskan camping trip.... I definitely think you should buy the second detector that would work on the ground that is where you live

Yea I think there are plenty of places closer than the beach also.  Just down the dead end road I live on there is an old brick small school torn down long ago.  Few if any know it was ever there. Likely never detected and woods growing in the site.  Yea I thought about many places closer to my home as well as the beach.  

As to the Second detector, 

I'm not sure which one you mean "The Racer 2" ?  If so, I was kinda thinking that as well but I see the MXT Pro also as a proven solid choice.  The Racer 2 however has the new model appeal with all the bells and whistles. Either one I think would serve me very well and could save me a bundle over some other machines I could buy.  

I am not sure

The gold that I've been lucky enough to find here in Colorado has been with the MXT and the 4X6 Shooter.  Nothing big, mostly pickers off of tailings piles.  My wife is a great detectorist in her own right.  Up till now she was using our second MXT but recently bought a GMT to use as soon as the snow melts.  For the beaches I've used quite a variety to include the Garrett Sea Hunter, MXT with concentric coil, Garrett ACE 250, AT Pro, and (don't laugh), a Minelab Go Find 60.  The MXT has found the most gold and silver rings, whether it be beaches or parks.  

• Like 2