One Detector For All Things

3 hours ago, argyle said:

So I'll just come straight out and tell you that the most all-round Coin/Jewellery, Prospecting, Relic and single freq beach VLF detector ever made, and is still in production, is the XTerra 705.

Interesting Argyle,

I'll look into it a bit this evening when I return home from work.

Terry

MXT and X-Terra 705 are two of my favorite do it all detectors. MXT is ultimate in ease of operation (everything you need to know is on the control box) and does not fall over when set down. X-Terra is much lighter and way more features than MXT but the manual is needed. Year longer warranty also.

If I had to downshift from my CTX there is a very good chance it would be to the X-Terra 705. Right now my Racer 2 is occupying that position. It would be very instructive to run the Racer 2 against the X-Terra but I don't see myself springing for the bucks to do that.

The one machine for everything question can actually make a person crazy so that's about all the thought I am putting into that!

• Like 3

Argyle...my kind of guy, no mincing around! I really liked my x-70 but I have played with a couple of x-705 machines...If I had to go to only one do-it-all machine it would have to be xterra-705 as first pick...especially with three coils.

Slightly off topic-which coils do you use and for what purposes?

fred

• Like 1

If I was forced to make a single detector do all my land hunting needs I'd keep my V3.   I'd have to spend a lot of money in coil selection trials to make it just right for every condition but I'm pretty confident the V3 could do it.  

Little heavy on arm so I'd have to work out a little more.:sad:

HH
Mike

• Like 1

19 hours ago, auminesweeper said:

If you click on this link and read this story it will give you some idea what the MXT can do, But you have to remember that Australia has some of the toughest ground in the world for detectors which is another reason the GPX is so good,, Enjoy.

john

http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/index.php/mxt_stories

On this link I posted, I did the maths and that small piece of Gold they found in that hot ground they said it was I/15th of a gram, that works out at 0.06 gram which is just about ONE grain and when you consider they were using the 6 inch concentric coil in hot ground that is pretty good going because that Aussie Red dirt is murder on nearly all detectors,

I think too many people over look that 5.3 (6 inch) concentric coil, One thing that a concentric coil will do which no one ever mentions is that the Actually Lower your ground balance setting

For example on my GMT the Twin D Coil (DD) gives me a GB reading of 79 to 81, But when I put the Longscan 6x10 Concentric on there I get a GB of 64 to 66 which means that I have more adjustability left in reserve because it has lowered my GB by about 20%.

So this got me thinking, So I tested my MXT AP with the 10" D2 coil and I used something with High magnetic properties and got a reading of 86 so just to find out what the extreme reading would be with the So called worse possible Coil I used the 15" MXT Max concentric coil and I got a GB reading of 75, Now when you consider that I had over twice the surface area and yet I still got a lower GB setting that's quite an inspiring Result and on the surface it still managed to see a test piece weighing 0.03 grams which is about 0.43 grains.

Now that brings me to the JEDI of micro Gold, The Gold Bug II, it only uses concentric coils and it is the Grand Master of the specs, which is what prompted me to buy that Longscan Coil (concentric) mid last year and it has bought my GMT to a similar ability as the GB II if not the same Only I got more gadgets/Info to use.

Anyway hope this helps because that little coil will find Gold about as small as the SDC which is nice to know even in that Hot Aussie Ground.

John 

The perfect detector that does it all has not been invented yet,some machines are better than others at specific detecting tasks and even some do a pretty good all round job but far from perfect,its all right narrowing down say a few detectors that tick all your boxes on paper.

But the bottom line it makes no odds which machine you choose and it could be the most expensive detector on the planet,at the end of the day its just basically a large lump of plastic and alloy with some high tech electronics inside,on its own it does absolutyluy nothing,you can switch it on and it still does nothing,its the skill of the operator that makes it work and not just the detector.

You put a high end detector in the hands of a total novice and what will they find ?? nothing,but you put a el-cheapo detector in the hands of a skilled/experienced detectorists and they will start finding stuff.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The one machine for everything question can actually make a person crazy so that's about all the thought I am putting into that!

I agree Steve, but I was 3/4 to crazy already so few would know the difference if I cross that border.  :blink:

So now I am off to Watch Utube videos and read reviews of the 705.  Anyone know how they came up that that number? 

Terry

1 hour ago, auminesweeper said:

If you click on this link and read this story it will give you some idea what the MXT can do, But you have to remember that Australia has some of the toughest ground in the world for detectors which is another reason the GPX is so good,, Enjoy.

john

Hey John,

I watched that video.  Pretty impressive indeed, especially for a 15Khz machine.  Impressive how it handles the hot ground and impressive how sensitive it is to such small pieces of gold.  I would expect that from a 50 Khz machine but not so much from a 15 Khz machine.  

4 minutes ago, Roughwater said:

Hey John,

I watched that video.  Pretty impressive indeed, especially for a 15Khz machine.  Impressive how it handles the hot ground and impressive how sensitive it is to such small pieces of gold.  I would expect that from a 50 Khz machine but not so much from a 15 Khz machine.  

Yeah it's pretty wild for a machine of that kHz range, I have found bits so small that it took me 20 minutes to locate them, A 48khz machine might be a little noisy in hot ground where as a 14khz machine will handle it better and as the bits get bigger it will also go deeper and on a machine like the MXT there are about 30/40 coils made for it,  But for the GMT there are only 2 because they stopped making the 8x14 and never told anyone, So that leaves you the standard 6x10 and the 4x6 unless you can find the 8x14 DD on ebay or any of the older concentrics

john