Minelab Manticore Unofficial Specs And Features Thread

5 hours ago, vive equinox said:

so I misunderstood in the video with the German detecting at one point I thought I heard mark lawrie say: 1599 € vat included

Can someone who speaks good English confirm or deny?

I heard "1999 Euros," but then he mumbled something about VAT or tax or ? and I don't know if the 1999 included those (probably not since they vary by country, I think).

There have been some understandable grumblings about the anticipated price of the Garrett Axiom in Australia and NZ compared to its price in the USA.  It's appearing as though similar issues are going to be present for the European and UK pricing of the Manticore compared to its USA pricing.

16 minutes ago, Unipin said:

I am an Archaeologist, and a 100$ detector is doing just fine for our work. Even cheaper...

Yeah, but we don't really want to dig 50000 square nails. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, midalake said:

How is it possible to take a metal [stainless steel] that IDs in the gold range with a +1 or better and now make it -1 or lower. With keeping Gold +1 and better? 

This would appear to be nearly impossible?

I was confused by him saying stainless steel will give negative (iron) dTID's since SS nuts and washers hit well into the non-ferrous region on the Equinox.  But maybe that is because he's talking about (fine) jewelry, not bulk metal items.  (P.S. Reading Tom's more recent post that you quoted below, I'm reminded that annular shaped objects hit higher on the dTID scale due to the more efficient eddy currents they allow.  That certainly plays a role for nuts and washers.)

As far as your question, Jeff McClendon showed dTID's for the N/M Legend for various gold rings but also common trash items like pulltabs.  I noticed that relative to the USA nickel 5 cent coin (a 'standard'), the pulltab dTID's Jeff showed differed some in their location on the Legend vs. where I find them on the Equinox.  It wasn't a huge difference but it appeared to be real.  (I don't have a link to that thread handy, but maybe someone else does and those interested can search back through his posts to find it.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, midalake said:

I have already asked this question? 

How is it possible to take a metal [stainless steel] that IDs in the gold range with a +1 or better and now make it -1 or lower. With keeping Gold +1 and better? 

This would appear to be nearly impossible? 

Well it seems like not "all" stainless will ID as -1 and below.

"midalake..... Stainless annular items (like stainless rings) will still ID just like gold.....as a non-ferrous. Non-annular stainless items are where you will see a "ID span" in the iron range. You can also 'push' deep into the Iron Bias.....and help stainless become positive-ID non-ferrous numbers.... if you choose."

So, guessing, certain lower grade 304 stainless might/could end up with negative ID Numbers. 

I heard in one of the videos, can't remember which one, that they expanded and remapped the IDs. This may allow items of different conductivity to spread out a bit more. Of course we all know that size and shape will always affect IDs as well as depth, pollution, mineralizstion, and ground conditions.

• Like 1

I must point out this is not like some earth shattering new thing. My old DFX goes from -95 to +95, as did many White's models earlier than it. It only looks great because the range on some many machines recently has been so limited, but that used to be the standard of sorts. But remember, more target id numbers in general means jumpier numbers.

Metal Detectors With Reliable Target ID Numbers

In general copy paste from other forums is bad practice, unless at a minimum a link is included to the original content. A link and summary is even better.

• Like 4

The whole phase id thing is pretty much just set by physics, though it can be moved around after the fact through processing. But this phase chart lays out the underlying physics. Keep in mind this are not discrete points, but overlapping ranges, as better illustrated by the second chart. The whole small non-ferrous/small ferrous, and salt range basically overlap. Where you set zero is a choice. Most companies chose a spot where most ferrous is below one point, and most non-ferrous above. They key is to remember it is a overlapping mess, not black and white. Nugget hunters generally will dig everything in that range, which is highlighted in red on the second graphic below.

The Manticore target id readings, by nature of the physics involved, will be close to classic White's detector target id results you see here.

From my article here about the salt/gold overlap:

metal-detector-phase-chart-moreland.jpg

Note that gold covers the full range of the chart, since target id is more about size, than what kind of metal you are detecting.

metal-detector-gold-saltwater-beach-chains.jpg

• Like 6