Minelab Manticore Unofficial Specs And Features Thread

On 8/30/2022 at 2:31 PM, GB_Amateur said:

The response was quick.  And I think it has more revelations (emphasis mine below):

Thank you so much for your email and interest in the new BEAST, Minelab Manticore.

As we currently do not have immediate details on the Minelab Manticore, it has been confirmed that the Audio will be a 3.5mm Headphone operation with Bluetooth Compatibilities.

The Audio functionality will be equivalent to the Equinox series with the APTX Low Latency Headphone technology. As for the Y-Stream Technology with the WM08, i am unable to confirm if this technology will be available in the new BEST, Manticore.

The BEAST will be provided with Minelab's ML100 Headphones (Same Bluetooth technology as the Equinox.) The Equinox series ML80 Headphones and Waterproof EQX headphones are compatible with the BEAST.

Please be sure to stay tuned into Minelab's social media accounts through out the next few weeks or so for more details to emerge!

--
Kind regards;
Maxwell

Minelab Customer Care

Looks like Minelab is going to strongly push BEAST as the new moniker/nickname. Interesting, give something a name that people don’t get excited about, and push an alternative nickname instead. It like they are cognizant of the tendency to nickname detectors, and decided to consciously play to that. If so, that’s a new level of sneaky marketing I don’t recall seeing before. Or, maybe I’m giving them too much credit, they saw the feedback and realized Manticore sucks, and are scrambling the backup plan. :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

The lead engineer in one of the vids said 50% more power than the Nox.  It doesn’t mean the Core will have 50% more depth (although would be nice for detecting junky nugget ground).  With more power though comes more EMI a la GPX6000.  Can’t waith to hear people starting complaining about this noisy detector when you go above 21 on sensitivity.  🤣🤣

1 hour ago, afreakofnature said:

The lead engineer in one of the vids said 50% more power than the Nox.  It doesn’t mean the Core will have 50% more depth (although would be nice for detecting junky nugget ground).  With more power though comes more EMI a la GPX6000.  Can’t waith to hear people starting complaining about this noisy detector when you go above 21 on sensitivity.  🤣🤣

Or maybe they will complain when the sensitivity is set at 31? 

Whatever they have done on EMI mitigation is going to be real & make a significant difference in a lot of field scenarios. It will also drive other manufacturers to better address the problem. The same can be said for any other performance aspects of the Manticore.  It will take some time but we will all have the chance to benefit from each manufacturer's advances. EMI has been a big & often silent chokepoint.  I'm also interested to see how the Manticore handles masked targets at some depth.

• Like 1

No 50 tones?  

Target Tones
1, 2, 5 - Tone | 1, 2, 5 - Region All Tones

AS to price I'll never pay it off in finds.  I hunt for relaxation and i like the best machine i can get that's versatile for where i go.  A little relic, park and fresh water hunting.  The EQ 800 does this fine.  The m-core (Minecore?)should be better and it seems a natural choice for me if i decide i can afford it.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, midalake said:

Or maybe they will complain when the sensitivity is set at 31? 

I think this is bound to happen. According to Tom D, the highest he could run the Manticore even In his mild Florida soil was around 28. That leaves 7 more levels to drive it into instability. Sounds like it might’ve been better to cap sensitivity at 30 rather than 35. On the bright side Tom also said that equinox and manticore have equivalent sensitivity at equivalent settings, that 21 on equinox is pretty close to 21 on the manticore for example. Equinox for me became unstable after 22. If manticore can run up to 28, the claims about increased depth might just pan out, particularly if they’ve made the progress in EMI and ground mitigation he’s hinting at. Those were the two areas of intense focus on this machine’s development according to Tom’s early posts about involvement with this project. Without progress in those areas extra power is for naught. But anyway, I see it coming. This machine can be overdriven in the extreme, and we are going to see lots of people doing that, then complaining about instability. For myself though, I’d rather have the option to overdrive it than to wonder if something more is being left on the table. 

• Like 8

I have been able to run the Nox at 24 in a few places but usually settle back to 22-23 and it's fine. A small USB powerbank will work if I ever need to run longer than 7 hours, which I usually don't.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ☠ Cipher said:

This machine can be overdriven in the extreme, and we are going to see lots of people doing that, then complaining about instability. For myself though, I’d rather have the option to overdrive it than to wonder if something more is being left on the table. 

I could not agree with you more. I think way too many overdrive the electronics and do not understand the finer points of getting deep targets. 
I FULLY understand the difference between 21 and 24 on the Equinox. If Tom can run at 28, that makes me go hummmmmmmm! 

• Like 1