Minelab Manticore Unofficial Specs And Features Thread

2 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Remember that Minelab headphone poll we all took a while back?.... I guess not enough people answered ear buds. That is disappointing. If Minelab doesn't market Manticore compatible ear buds, that could be a deal breaker for Summer use. 🙄

I'm thinking I'm gonna have in invest in a Garrett Z-Link, Minelab Pro-Sonic or a Detecnicks   wireless set-up. I use earbuds almost 99% of the time these days, it would have been nice to have a factory wireless module, boo on Minelab.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dan(NM) said:

Tom D. posted this last night.....

"A little more data that I can share:

None of the bluetooth/wireless stuff from EQX will work on the Manticore. This sounds terrible/disappointing ........ BUT:
The new next-Gen bluetooth/wireless system on Manticore presents:
1. Even lower latency.
2. Even lower EMI.
3. Better audible clarity.

This could not be achieved with the EQX bluetooth system."

No, it couldn't be achieved using the Equinox's old Bluetooth system, it can be using Bluetooth LE which is what the Manticore has inside it.  

Submitted to the FCC, it is using Bluetooth LE.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=YwdXmpsuaYfdk%2FQl6JsBDw%3D%3D&fcc_id=Z4C-0049

Go to test report and have a snoop around.

Page 5 of 32 Report No. M2112039-7
This document shall not be reproduced except in full.
TEST CERTIFICATE
Device: Manticore Metal Detector
Model: Manticore
Manuf acturer: Minelab Electronics Pty Ltd
Radio: Bluetooth Low Energy (Nordic nRF5340)

If you read what he said it was the next gen BLUETOOTH/Wireless system, yes it is the next generation of Bluetooth.  The wireless headphones from the Equinox work with Bluetooth LE but they won't even have Bluetooth Low latency, they'll revert to standard Bluetooth so will be slow as all hell, so it's not that they won't work, is that they won't work well.

• Like 2

People should not be disappointed by this, Bluetooth LL was a flop, a failure which is why so few products use it, Bluetooth LE will become a general standard for Bluetooth very quickly, they fixed the flaws LL had which prevented wider adoption.  It will be easy to get ear buds and whatever else in LE in the near future, everything will be using it, it's not going to be an offshoot of Bluetooth, it's going to be the standard Bluetooth.

This is very good news that they've gone with this option, there is nothing bad about it, I'd be far more annoyed if they went with Bluetooth aptX LL like they did with the GPX 6000, it's the discontinued old technology that sucks with very few options, LE will be fantastic and better than LL significantly.

I don't know why Nasa-Tom is being so vague about publicly available information, perhaps he likes the attention of everyone listening to every word he says with excitement like he is releasing secret inside information.

• Like 7

On 8/28/2022 at 7:38 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

Since this is the Detector Prospector forum…..there is one Gold mode. The selectable single frequencies seem to be the same. The chief engineer did say more than once that Multi IQ+ uses higher frequencies than Multi IQ. 

One gold mode? You would think that something coming out of Australia would have more emphases on gold programming options. Now the question is, how much better it will be than the Equinox 800 for gold detection?

5 minutes ago, rled2005 said:

One gold mode? You would think that something coming out of Australia would have more emphases on gold programming options. Now the question is, how much better it will be than the Equinox 800 for gold detection?

I guess that depends on if they're about to release a Gold Monster SMF.

2 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I guess that depends on if they're about to release a Gold Monster SMF.

If they are, I would say they're getting a little too greedy. If the Deus 2 had better gold programming built-in, I would go with the Deus 2.

13 minutes ago, rled2005 said:

One gold mode? You would think that something coming out of Australia would have more emphases on gold programming options.

According to a reliable source (hint:  his initials are SH), the only difference between Gold 1 and Gold 2 on the Equinox were settings which you could change (to match each other, if you so desired).

You'll still have 40 kHz single frequency options, just like on the Equinox 800.  But whether SF or MF, there appear to be more settings options on the Manticore than on the Equinox.  Most serious gold detectorists like to find their own best settings, at least that's my experience.

You don't hear too many (knowledgeable) people complaining about the Equinox 800's gold performance, and ML may be saving improvements to that for a new (dedicated gold) IB/VLF.

IMO, Lawrie mis-spoke on one of the videos when he said something about the Manticore being better (in every way was my interpretation) than the Equinox.  I think he should have said "as good or better", and if given the chance to correct what he said...?  Also IMO, the Equinox was undervalued for the price when it was released early 2018.  I suppose we could expect from now on they will over-deliver (for the price) as they did then, but I don't think that is a realistic expectation for a capitalistic entity.

5 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

According to a reliable source (hint:  his initials are SH), the only difference between Gold 1 and Gold 2 on the Equinox were settings which you could change (to match each other, if you so desired).

You'll still have 40 kHz single frequency options, just like on the Equinox 800.  But whether SF or MF, there appear to be more settings options on the Manticore than on the Equinox.  Most serious gold detectorists like to find their own best settings, at least that's my experience.

You don't hear too many (knowledgeable) people complaining about the Equinox 800's gold performance, and ML may be saving improvements to that for a new (dedicated gold) IB/VLF.

IMO, Lawrie mis-spoke on one of the videos when he said something about the Manticore being better (in every way was my interpretation) than the Equinox.  I think he should have said "as good or better".  Also IMO, the Equinox was undervalued for the price when it was released early 2018.  I suppose we could expect from now on they will over-deliver (for the price) as they did then, but I don't think that is a realistic expectation for a capitalistic entity.

What I understood from ML, is that Gold 1 and Gold 2 had different algorithms to deal with the different soil types. Therefore, why would you want to match the two? I found gold 1 worked better than gold 2 for my area. Old arguments, I know!

59 minutes ago, rled2005 said:

What I understood from ML, is that Gold 1 and Gold 2 had different algorithms to deal with the different soil types. Therefore, why would you want to match the two? I found gold 1 worked better than gold 2 for my area. Old arguments, I know!

Just repeating what I recall my 'insider' 😉 said.  I could be misremembering.

Did you go to the trouble of making every user adjustable setting exactly the same?  Otherwise it could be the specific settings differences between the two that led to your better performance for Gold 1 vs. Gold 2.

On 10/31/2022 at 5:33 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

Remember that Minelab headphone poll we all took a while back?.... I guess not enough people answered ear buds. That is disappointing. If Minelab doesn't market Manticore compatible ear buds, that could be a deal breaker for Summer use. 🙄

Got an answer from Minelab Support: No recent modules are compatible and there is no new module available.

That sucks bigtime. I'm very picky about my headphones and for me this is kind of a dealbreaker.
Even if there's a BT receiver with new standard available - I have bad remindings testing different ones on the Nox.
Most of them are made to transfer musik. If there's no audio, they fall in kind of a sleep mode or audio mute and I always had the feeling, I've missed something..

And then there's that off-center coil mount.. water draging coil suport...
Maybe it's time going Deus II with coil balacer