50% More Power To The Manticore Coil?

The Minelab engineer in the videos mentions a couple of times that the Manticore has "50% more power, electric, going to the coil".. Will this, together with more advanced signal processing, make a difference in how deep the beast will punch? Is it really as simple as: more power = a stronger electromagnetic field = greater depth.. And if this really does make such a difference, then why haven't other manufactures cottoned on to this? 

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, Erik Oostra said:

And if this really does make such a difference, then why haven't other manufactures cottoned on to this? 

How many other manufacturers have spent the time and effort to improve their SMF technology the way Minelab has?

I personally think the 50% more power thing is more of a marketing thing than anything else. But I also think that the Manticore will be able to make use of that power more effectively than the AT Max did when it was released and much of the marketing mentioned its greater sensitivity and increased power.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hopefully they fixed the leaking problems, it may be a good water detector , and that 50% more power to the coil under water would not be afected by EMI so I bet its a deep water machine, but using a fast recovery under water when you cant swing the thing fast under water is a problem I would use a slower sweep speed if using it in water

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

"50% more power, electric, going to the coil"..

The key is 50% more compared to what.  Context matters and in their own Manicow literature they say the following:

MULTI IQ+:  Minelab’s revolutionary technology has 50% more power than traditional models and is the highest-powered simultaneous multi-frequency machine on the market.

Which means it has 50% more power than single frequency detectors but some unstated amount greater than Nox or other SMF detectors.  The fact is SMF detectors have to pump more power to the coil to enable them to simultaneously transmit multiple waveforms into the ground and get the same depth as single frequency detectors.  So in true ML marketing fashion, it really is unclear what's really going on here.  We'll know more when it gets into the hands of users.  Also, more power does not necessarily translate into greater depth performance in high mineralization or black sand.  Remember that Nox intentionally reduces coil power in Beach modes and even further when black sand is detected.

All that being said, there is no doubt that the Beast will bring it compared to Nox in terms of performance, especially in mild soils.

Steve has similar comments on this 50% more power claim here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Transmit power is not an EMI booster. That would be receiver gain. If anything you can boost the transmit power, and reduce the gain, which in turn reduces EMI.

In real terms they are simply talking about an increase in transmit power over the Equinox. However, that only works in milder ground. Those in the know understand that Equinox incorporates the ability to lower the transmit power to deal with harsh beach scenarios. Otherwise more power simply overloads the detector with ground feedback. So I would expect larger gains in low mineral places like Florida or deep turf, less or no gain in highly mineralized soils, like the west coast beaches in particular. Tom D will no doubt be loving all over this for Florida. People in high mineral areas will wonder what all the fuss is about by comparison.

From the Equinox manual:

"Beach Mode automatically senses black sand and reduces the transmit power to ensure that targets can still be detected without overloading occurring. When black sand is sensed, the Beach Overload Indicator will appear on the LCD. When this icon disappears, full transmit power automatically resumes."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

No way 50% more power to the coil. I have a afterburner for the excalibur and it adds about 17% to the coil and that is  3 to 4 inches more depth. And once I hit the saltwater the machine will go nuts if I don't turn the power down. On the wet sand and dry it is fine. I do know the excalibur is not set up to handle that 17% extra but 50%?  Like all new machines lets set back and give it a year.

In the video you can hear the transmit field change as I turn the burner on...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The written quote is "50% more power than traditional detectors", so it could indeed have 50% more transmit power than an old "traditional" Bounty Hunter. And maybe it's as simple as comparing Equinox battery specs to CTX battery specs. But yeah, there is just more power going on. The 50% thing needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt until it is actually defined in detail.

It's all completely moot marketing stuff, as all that matters is actual in ground performance increases. These will be anywhere from none, to a few percentage points at most.

• Like 5

Yes this 50% power thing is out there now and we'll be debunking it for months just like the misconception that Nox Multi-IQ is comprised of the 5 single frequencies and the additional misconception that FBS2 was comprised of 25 frequencies.  SMH the ML spin machine is really annoying and frankly insulting.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

The key is 50% more compared to what. 

He makes the comment whilst the punters are comparing it to the Equinox.. He also says that power wise it's comparable to the CTX 3030.. It might be seen as marketing hype but I think that's because people assume that 50% more power to coil means it's 50% more powerful than other detectors..   

• Like 2