50% More Power To The Manticore Coil?

Honestly, claims about more power in metal detectors have been going on for decades.  I remember in the 1970's it seemed like every new detector would beat any machine by several inches.  If you added all of the claims up we would have been digging pennies at three feet deep!

To me the 50% claim is marketing.  In some tech way it might be accurate but I actually just laughed when I first heard it because it took me back to the old days.

Claims.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Dave (midalake) linked a post from the Dankowski forum quoting Nasa Tom as saying Manticore has an ID scale from -99 to +99 with salt being 0....................if that is true.......hmmmmmm, lots of fun for us folks that often spend the whole day hunting in the wrap around zone!

Hey Jeff
I see the Horseshoe Mode..😊 
I can only hope that the Manticore has the frequency weighting to pull off what the equinox does, by nonferrous Single ringing and Ferrous targets Double Ringing or breaking down on a 360 look! 
My Mex Friend already said he is going to buy one, so I expect a visit from him in January 👍 We will put that sucker through the ropes! 

Well because it has more beach modes, is lighter, is waterproof, and has the gold mode. Hopefully has a better menu system and is ~$800 less. Folds up to a smaller package. I’m guessing it has Bluetooth…..  enough reasons not to get a CTX. CTX users originally switched to the Equinox but some like me switched back - not necessarily for depth reasons. If it detects as well as the CTX and is more refined than the Equinox I’d say it’s obviously superior.  What’s left - a CTX/Excal merge? 
I doubt though if any future detector will get me more targets. It’s more a challenge to get your coil over them before the next guy.

• Like 1

I'm with those who consider "50% more power" mainly a marketing thing.

However ..... The 'Power' put into a transmit coil is a perfectly measureable characteristic, and it's nearly all heat in the copper windings, hardly any is truly transmitted into the ether or the earth/soil/dirt. And it's usually in the 10's of milliwatts for single-freq machines, and likely below 50 mW even on MF machines like the Eqx.
And if you apply more volts to the coil, your power supplied to the coil goes up. A "50% increase" works out as 23% more voltage ( and 23% more coil current ). This could help in the quest for more depth, but is also beneficial when dealing with EMI , probably the more useful thing about it.
And the effect on depth ? Boring mathematics about magnetic field decay ( inverse cube response ) tells me the expected air-depth gain would be +3.8% . This assumes the same receiver gain, etc etc., which is very unlikely to be the case - it's a new machine.

------

I think it's likely that what makes the 'plus' in the Multi-IQ+ is such things as completely different operating frequency selections, depending on the mode choice. This is a perfectly reasonable thing, and one XP chose for the Deus2.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, PimentoUK said:

And the effect on depth ? Boring mathematics about magnetic field decay ( inverse cube response ) tells me the expected air-depth gain would be +3.8% . This assumes the same receiver gain, etc etc., which is very unlikely to be the case - it's a new machine.

+3,8% means around +1,1 cm ( an half inch ) more depth on a big coin buried at 30cm .  Then not a revolution . Looking fwd for the real life depth comparisons between the manticore and the others ...

Mr. Lawrie clearly stated in the long 45 minute video with a German speaking field tester, that Minelab redesigned the Manticore handle so it can hold TWO 18650 3.7 volt lithium ion batteries........as opposed to the one 18650 3.7v in the Equinox.

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Mr. Lawrie clearly stated in the long 45 minute video with a German speaking field tester, that Minelab redesigned the Manticore handle so it can hold TWO 18650 3.7 volt lithium ion batteries........as opposed to the one 18650 3.7v in the Equinox.

Which means that the Manticore handle + digital display is probably heavier than the Equinox one ( around +50g due to the additional 18650 ) . Hopefully the Manticore has a carbon shaft lighter than the Equinox alu shaft which compensates for this handle weight increasement ...

18650 tech info :
Panasonic NCR18650B Pile rechargeable spéciale 18650 Li-Ion 3.7 V 3400 mAh | Conrad.fr

10 minutes ago, palzynski said:

Which means that the Manticore handle is probably heavier than the Equinox one ( around +50g due to the additional 18650 ) . Hopefully the Manticore has a carbon shaft which compensates for this handle weight increasement .

It does......

It also means that the Manticore has twice the power output source of the Equinox which could mean it has more power to offset its better EMI shielding (reported), more power for use of a wider range of frequencies and its much lower frequency weighted programs as opposed to the Equinox (reported) and more visual target identification features (easy to see on the display).

Whether two lightweight lithium batteries instead of one drastically changes the way Manticore feels ergonomically compared to the Equinox......we will individually find out soon......maybe.

• Like 2