50% More Power To The Manticore Coil?

Actually the Equinox uses a 26650 3.7V battery which is similar in weight to two 18650 3.7V batteries so there is no noticable weight difference. However, with two 18650 batteries, the unit can run at 7.4 volts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Actually the Equinox uses a 26650 3.7V battery which is similar in weight to two 18650 3.7V batteries so there is no noticable weight difference. However, with two 18650 batteries, the unit can run at 7.4 volts.

Thanks CPT_GhostLight for correcting me. I haven't had to order or do a battery replacement yet on my Equinoxes. I just assumed and assumed WRONG!!!!

• Like 1

Quote: "Mr. Lawrie clearly stated .. Minelab redesigned the handle so it can hold TWO 18650 3.7 volt lithium ion batteries........as opposed to the one 18650 3.7v in the Equinox."

Correction: The Eqx has a single 26650 cell: this is 26mm x 65mm, so it's fat, but not using up much of the available length of the handgrip. I did propose they used a single 21700 size cell in the "New Equinox" , as that has comparable performance to the 26650, but suits a handgrip shape better.

However ... you guys are failing to understand modern electronics. Voltages can, and ARE, routinely stepped up, stepped down, inverted, to suit whatever are the needs of the appliance. If +5 Volts is needed, that can be created from a single Lithium cell. If +10V and -10V is needed, it can be done. Etc etc.
So whether a gadget uses one Li cell or two or three, or a pair of 1.5V alkaline cells, it has essentially NO relevance to the power consumption / performance / whatever.
( plus .. two cells can be series or parallel-connected. It wouldn't surprise me if ML have the two 18650's in parallel, and are keeping as much of the existing Eqx circuit design as possible. )
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

thx for the update , then forget my last post about handle weight comparisons ... 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

It does......

It also means that the Manticore has twice the power output source of the Equinox which could mean it has more power to offset its better EMI shielding (reported), more power for use of a wider range of frequencies and its much lower frequency weighted programs as opposed to the Equinox (reported) and more visual target identification features (easy to see on the display).

Whether two lightweight lithium batteries instead of one drastically changes the way Manticore feels ergonomically compared to the Equinox......we will individually find out soon......maybe.

And it might be to help with run time between charges with the extra bells and whistles.

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Well it could if they are series but my money says they are parallel and still 3.7v. That would give it more current, the work horse of the battery. Don’t know how many mili amp the NOX is. JMHO. I also think that they did this type of release to help stop the Deus ll sales that may have also slowed the NOX sales and help insure a certain amount of Manticore sales. Good luck everybody. Big weekend coming up for the beach guys.

• Like 5

I've seen a few comments that the 50% power increase only applies to single frequencies, but NASA Tom said no, it's across the board, single frequencies and SMF 👍

• Like 2

Tx guage wire also effects depth, it isn't always just about voltage.

I still don't know why companies push such big coils, other than for clean plowed fields or sanded beaches large coils aren't all that necessary and can be very counter productive. More prone to EMI, heavier to swing, harder to separate around high trash areas.....

Majority of finds are well under the 10" mark and in parks expecially with so many people detecting now most the finds are near the surface and are fresh drops.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kac said:

Majority of finds are well under the 10" mark and in parks expecially with so many people detecting now most the finds are near the surface and are fresh drops.

Not where I live, I'd say the complete opposite is true, the good old coins are very deep, the deeper a detector can go the better, anything less than the depth of my Carrot is usually the bad stuff, more recent drops, the deeper stuff is the good old coins.  Jewellery is anywhere obviously depending on how long ago it was lost.

Big coils are fantastic for me, the bigger the better and they do go deeper than the smaller coils.  The CTX 17x13" is my current favourite deep coin finding coil.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kac said:

We don't know what we don't know right? 

At one particular site for years my hunt partner and I assumed that targets weren't deep, because in the beginning we were digging plenty of targets that were not deep.  Once those easier to detect targets dried up, I started investigating anything that made a beep.  After digging a measured 10" deep two reale, a 10" deep copper fractional reale (a rare one), a seated dime cache that was right at the 10" mark under an inch thick layer of scorched earth, and a solo seated dime that was 10-11" deep, I put that assumption to rest.  I think what we generally observe is that 10" is at the edge of the VLF detection capabilities before a machine calls the target iron IF it detects it at all.  After digging the aforementioned deep targets, I can only surmise that there is another layer of targets that my current arsenal simply cannot see.  

Would I want to dig 15" holes at a park? Nope.  Not because I don't believe there's targets potentially that deep, but the optics of digging such a hole in public has it's own ramifications.  I've detected several old park scrapes in San Francisco, you'd be surprised what we find after they scrape off 12" of dirt, there's plenty of old targets there like this 1916D key date Mercury dime I dug:

image.thumb.png.a3fd3b8345702958f1b447b6f5c1f413.png

• Like 8