50% More Power To The Manticore Coil?

Deepest coins I dug were where dirt was moved and not from natural sinking from worm activity etc. I dug a reale at 12", couple silver dimes at more than 12". Majority of large cents here are in the 10" mark or less.

Big problem running large coils here is we have a lot of old iron bits and magnetite so bigger the coil the more it gets smothered. I'm sure other parts of the country the case is different.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Carolina said:

Well it could if they are series but my money says they are parallel and still 3.7v. That would give it more current, the work horse of the battery.

I agree.

You generally want to use one cell instead of two, as that halves the chances for a bad cell to make the device inoperable. So why would Minelab go from one cell to two? Higher voltage requirements is one possibility, but like PimentoUK said, that's not a compelling reason as you can step up or down voltages fairly easily. So providing additional current is probably it...and my guess it's not that the Manticore pulls that much juice over extended periods of time. Rather, it's that the Manticore might have relatively high current draw at peak moments and Minelab engineers felt they could improve cell life by reducing the current draw on the cells.

I'm all about the depth, if it can give me 50% (More) power in the saltwater and can match the AQ I'll buy one, but if that 50% is like turning your high beams on in a snow storm ..it's just another steak on the grill..

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I'm all about the depth, if it can give me 50% (More) power in the saltwater and can match the AQ I'll buy one, but if that 50% is like turning your high beams on in a snow storm ..it's just another steak on the grill..

That is a perfect analogy and exactly what happens here around in land. I do much better with smaller and more importantly eliptical coils over round coils. Not only do they run quieter, they have more accurate ground balancing and can separate much better.

• Like 4

NASA Tom stated that the Manticore would blow an Equinox coil right quick.

It makes sense that Minelab would want a comprehensive/whole system power system to boost the TX signal & run the next generation signal processing. If you want Horsepower you have to feed the horses. All this speculation is fun & there are many smart people here to learn from but it is still early in the learning curve.  I do see a need for the unit to be able to run an auxiliary power source.

On 8/30/2022 at 7:54 PM, Cal_Cobra said:

I think what we generally observe is that 10" is at the edge of the detection capabilities before a machine calls the target iron IF it detects it at all.  After digging the aforementioned deep targets, I can only surmise that there is another layer of targets that my current arsenal simply cannot see.

I read probably 3/4 of all posts here at detectorprospector.com.  Every few months one will hit me in the head (in a good way 🥴) and this fits that experience.  Something that I've wondered about for at least a couple years is why I don't find coins deeper than about 8", and only a few that deep.  When I 'clean out' a site I still hear (among other things) those iron grunts.  I've always assumed they are just nails, deep cans, etc.  From what you're saying my assumptions haven't been very good.

I'm guardedly excited over this multicore.  It's going to be an interesting 6 months or so as we learn more!

• Like 1

The use of two 18650 cells may have different implications. One may be that they simply wanted a slimmer formfactor for the new eliptical handle design and two 18650s in parallel would allow the same runtime as a single 26650. They could also keep that slimmer design and run in series for higher voltage requirements. While I don't really care about what voltage the machine runs at, the new designs are attractive. Even if it's just an Equinox on steroids, I like it! 😎

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

I read probably 3/4 of all posts here at detectorprospector.com.  Every few months one will hit me in the head (in a good way 🥴) and this fits that experience.  Something that I've wondered about for at least a couple years is why I don't find coins deeper than about 8", and only a few that deep.  When I 'clean out' a site I still hear (among other things) those iron grunts.  I've always assumed they are just nails, deep cans, etc.  From what you're saying my assumptions haven't been very good.

I'm guardedly excited over this multicore.  It's going to be an interesting 6 months or so as we learn more!

(P.S. I just realized I'm getting OT.  Sorry, Chase.  Well, at least some of the posts on this thread have conformed to your request.  🙄)

Well,   are you going to go back and dig some of those deep iron signals while you wait on the Manticore?

Deep fringe targets on machines that have TID's will eventually drop in signal to the point they show in lower numbers as they go out of range. Boosting the signals will flatten out the response to them and give the user id numbers that they may want to dig.

On analog machines the discrimination level would have to drop lower to hear those same fringe targets. Large iron has a distinct characteristic and machines like the 3030, Deus, D2 with their graphical x/y should show unstable or unclean response. Much like an analog machine would have that reverse roll. Just like other large deep targets fall off is longer so old lift of the coil can also give you a clue on do dig or not to dig.

Natural sinking of targets is due to worm activity on land. There is a limit of how deep worms are and targets aren't likely to go below that without other factors such as tractors moving dirt as was the casse of the Reale I found that was on the outskirts of a dirt parking lot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JCR said:

Well, are you going to go back and dig some of those deep iron signals while you wait on the Manticore?

Probably not, at least not with the Equinox.  If I get really ambitious with my White's TDI, though... 🤔  If the early tests by trusted, unbiased users show promise for deeper targets (specifically better dTID's with depth in moderate to strong mineralization), that's when I hope to be able to go-to-town.  If they don't show much improvement in that area I doubt I will get a Meatcore as the Equinox otherwise does quite well in all parts of detecting that I do.

• Like 1